2019 CX-5 Signature, Seat discomfort?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) was recommended by another member and it has given me some relief. It fills in that sharp transition from the seat bottom to the bolster. It has not completely fixed the issue, but it's taken the edge off. I'm retired, so do not drive the car daily. I've considered buying a second cushion and doing a double-layer.

It really is a disappointment in an otherwise stellar car, isn't it?
it really is, I dont understand why such a drastic difference but as others have said, everyone is different.

Hey Jim, so I've tackled this problem in two ways. The first was I ordered these cushions (pictured) off Amazon for $30. They are breathable and don't completely obscure the ventilation of the ventilated seats. Unfortunately this company didn't have one that matches the color of the interior, even though what they picture in their ad as "tan" looks like it should be a match. Anyways, game changer!! Used to get sore after less than an hour driving, now I'm still good for at least 1.5 hours (haven't ventured further). The second thing I did was to do some arts & crafts with some high-density foam and carpet and widen the "dead pedal" (footrest) by an inch. I was endlessly shifting for a comfortable position before...now, problem gone! No, I'm not trying to make any more of these, lol!! Good luck, I'm so happy I spent the couple of hours and maybe $60 on supplies to make this thing a keeper.
Thanks for the info, I did order the cushion, will see how it works.

Some people's hips and pelvic anterior are naturally wider than others. It doesn't necessarily have any correlation to body weight. Where Mazda has gone wrong with this seat design is making the side bolster both hard as a rock and also *fixed in place* with no ability to move laterally, so if you lost the genetic lottery and have both wide hips and a sciatic nerve that runs close to your hips the effect is something akin to light torture when those bolsters dig into your sides.

Mazda clearly has some awareness of the problem because they did some minor re-shaping of the foam underneath to make the edge transition less harsh in 2019, and the bolster design in the 3 and CX-30 has a semi-floating design that allows lateral movement to relieve the pressure.

Some people's hips and pelvic anterior are naturally wider than others. It doesn't necessarily have any correlation to body weight. Where Mazda has gone wrong with this seat design is making the side bolster both hard as a rock and also *fixed in place* with no ability to move laterally, so if you lost the genetic lottery and have both wide hips and a sciatic nerve that runs close to your hips the effect is something akin to light torture when those bolsters dig into your sides.

Mazda clearly has some awareness of the problem because they did some minor re-shaping of the foam underneath to make the edge transition less harsh in 2019, and the bolster design in the 3 and CX-30 has a semi-floating design that allows lateral movement to relieve the pressure.
I'm not following you on your "made less harsh in 2019" statement. These complaints are on 2019/2020 Reserves and Signatures, not pre-2019 models.

But this is the internet...something's likely lost in translation.

It's hard to explain in words. They made a change to the shape of the foam so it doesn't dig into your side quite as much. You can tell the difference if you feel through the leather cover with your hands. Where the foam approaches the seat bottom cushion it used to be cut at two angles, basically a 45 degree slope that becomes a vertical face into the seat bottom. This has the effect of shaping the lower portion of the bolster near the seat bottom like a chisel which just helps it dig into your hips even more. The 2017 and 2018 models are like this, but in 2019 the foam in this area is more rounded off which seems like a stop-gap measure on Mazda's part after getting specific complaints about this part of the seat causing pain. The original design is terrible and an outright gaffe on Mazda's part, but the seat as a whole is just poorly designed and can only really accomodate people with naturally narrow bone structures in their hips and pelvis.

It's hard to explain in words. They made a change to the shape of the foam so it doesn't dig into your side quite as much. You can tell the difference if you feel through the leather cover with your hands. Where the foam approaches the seat bottom cushion it used to be cut at two angles, basically a 45 degree slope that becomes a vertical face into the seat bottom. This has the effect of shaping the lower portion of the bolster near the seat bottom like a chisel which just helps it dig into your hips even more. The 2017 and 2018 models are like this, but in 2019 the foam in this area is more rounded off which seems like a stop-gap measure on Mazda's part after getting specific complaints about this part of the seat causing pain. The original design is terrible and an outright gaffe on Mazda's part, but the seat as a whole is just poorly designed and can only really accomodate people with naturally narrow bone structures in their hips and pelvis.
I understand.

I mentioned that I bought one of the seat cushions someone here recommended. It basically tapered that bolster angle you speak of so helps a bit...but it's not perfect.

I wonder if the average Japanese physique might fit these seats better.

Thanks for explanation that would explain why I feel this hard sharp Object in the seat. Seems I have a car I really enjoy driving with a major problem for me. I am trying a pillow with gel and foam and dealer is working with me now.

Same here. We just purchased a 2021 CX5 GT; traded in a 2013 CX5 GT. Still have a 2016 CX5 GT, 2014 Mazda 6 GT; To my surprise, these 2021 CX 5 seats are too narrow on the bolstering and are too stiff on the sides. Both for myself (6'2 tall, size 32 waist) and for my mom and my dad (mom is smaller than me, dad is a bit larger). No issues in our pre-2017 Mazda cars.

I am deciding between buying a cushion that will limit the use of the heated & cooled seats VS messing with the foam bolstering inside the seat.

Back