2019 CX-5 Signature, Roof Rack

Not alot of photos out there of CX-5's with a roof rack. Hopefully this helps!

2019 Mazda Cx5 (Signature Trim) w/ factory roof rails/flush rails
Yakima Ridgeline Towers w/ RidgeClips 29
Yakima 50" Jetstreams
Yakima Locknload Crossbar Clamps
Yakima Locknload Platform K (55”x49”)
Yakima Wind Deflector (I think it's 46")

Note: The front crossbar locknload mounts are positioned on the inward sides of the outermost "ziptie" rings of the wind deflector.

Note 2: The wind deflector with this set up will have a tendency to shake and bump against the sunroof. To remedy this, I added soft/felt like furniture bumper pads to all 4 of the wind deflector's "feet".

Seems to be working after 50 miles.

Best

Attachments

• 3ECEEDC2-1A0E-4EBE-90A0-3BB0E382DFE9.jpeg
    3ECEEDC2-1A0E-4EBE-90A0-3BB0E382DFE9.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 640
  • 7A3A77FA-07EC-4205-879A-95DA87BF0D46.jpeg
    7A3A77FA-07EC-4205-879A-95DA87BF0D46.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 727
  • 0DF601F0-2BDF-4145-A624-51CF34E23146.jpeg
    0DF601F0-2BDF-4145-A624-51CF34E23146.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 820
I installed the rails on my 2020 Signature then dicovered the "universal mount" cross bars I'd saved from my last car don't really grip well on rails pegged to the roof surface. They are designed for vehicles with space between roof and rail. It seems like you're pretty well obligated to use Mazda's cross bars which bolt into the rails and not easily removable. I don't want cross bars on the roof all the time, just when I need to carry long boards or something. Bummer.

Yakima 50" Jetstreams

Note: The front crossbar locknload mounts are positioned on the inward sides of the outermost "ziptie" rings of the wind deflector.

Note 2: The wind deflector with this set up will have a tendency to shake and bump against the sunroof. To remedy this, I added soft/felt like furniture bumper pads to all 4 of the wind deflector's "feet".

Best
HI Catch22,

I have two questions on this great looking setup if you have the answers.

1) I have a 2019 GT-R so our cars should be identical in dimensions. What is the total clearance height from the ground to the top of the platform?

2) It looks like there are a lot of connectors for the platform in the retail images. How much time would you think it would take to remove or reinstall the platform if I wanted to store the platform when not in use?

Thanks,
Jim

Yakima 50" Jetstreams

Best

Thanks for sharing, OP. I too have a question.

I haven't looked at the OE rails, but does the clip #29 bolted to the rails or they work like clamps tightening from both sides to grab the rails? I'm not familiar with Yakima system, but have had a few different Thule cross bars, If the Mazda OE rails do have side lips to grab from above, Thule set I have should be modified to fit. Current Thule Aero Wing Bar setup attaches to the holes with M6 screws, the attaching holes are too close together for my Roof Top carrier to feel secured. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Thanks for sharing, OP. I too have a question.

I haven't looked at the OE rails, but does the clip #29 bolted to the rails or they work like clamps tightening from both sides to grab the rails? I'm not familiar with Yakima system, but have had a few different Thule cross bars, If the Mazda OE rails do have side lips to grab from above, Thule set I have should be modified to fit. Current Thule Aero Wing Bar setup attaches to the holes with M6 screws, the attaching holes are too close together for my Roof Top carrier to feel secured. Thanks in advance for your answer.
The clips grab the rails

EDIT:
The clips can only be installed in specific positions on the rails for the CX5

Attachments

• 4F9FF94F-BC13-4839-885F-E8890076988B.jpeg
    4F9FF94F-BC13-4839-885F-E8890076988B.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 278
  • AB4C9F84-A7A0-48DF-A5DB-E86319F926AC.jpeg
    AB4C9F84-A7A0-48DF-A5DB-E86319F926AC.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Got back from 750 mile trip around Oregon, in heavy rain, heavy wind/gusts, and snowfall, driving at speeds up to 80 miles (for a couple of miles when passing) - HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

About 160-180 lbs of weight on top of the roof rack that included:

ABCANOPY 10x10
2x 11lb (pancake) filled propane tanks in milkcrates
3.5 gal (filled) rotopax fuelpax
1x pair of TREDPro recovery tracks
Anvil shovel

Hardware
3x sets of Yakima locknload edge brackets
Yakima Recovery track mounts
Yakima Rotopax mounting kit
Ratchet tie down straps
2x Kryptonite cables
3x masterlock weather resistant locks
Yakima Perimeter Side Rails
4 locknload (L shaped) stoppers
Topgrip mount

the only concern i had was the bolts for the jetstreams, i actually over tightened slightly by +1 Nm, after about 320 mi, those bolts were still tight

Attachments

• 6A541AD3-4DC1-4BD7-BF4E-B5586210DE35.jpeg
    6A541AD3-4DC1-4BD7-BF4E-B5586210DE35.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 282
HI Catch22,

I have two questions on this great looking setup if you have the answers.

1) I have a 2019 GT-R so our cars should be identical in dimensions. What is the total clearance height from the ground to the top of the platform?

2) It looks like there are a lot of connectors for the platform in the retail images. How much time would you think it would take to remove or reinstall the platform if I wanted to store the platform when not in use?

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,

1) I made a measurement from the top of the rail to the top of the platform - approx 7.5”. The side perimeter height adds another approx 3” from the too of the platform.
Also note that the side perimeter is NOT flush with the edge of the platform. A 1” nylon (white) spacer will clear it.

2) I plan on keeping mine on. However, I imagine it should be quick on and offs, esp with a helping hand. All you have to do is disconnect/reconnect the “universal clamp-mounting bracket” apparatus from the platform -> remove/place platform -> remove “universal clamp-mounting bracket” apparatus from jetstreams

Best

Attachments

• 2AB84FCB-FA34-49A9-970F-704B2E69499C.jpeg
    2AB84FCB-FA34-49A9-970F-704B2E69499C.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 204
  • E1E3CE91-3C0E-4472-9B71-A36DC64CF8E2.jpeg
    E1E3CE91-3C0E-4472-9B71-A36DC64CF8E2.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Hi Jim,

1) I made a measurement from the top of the rail to the top of the platform - approx 7.5”. The side perimeter height adds another approx 3” from the too of the platform.
Also note that the side perimeter is NOT flush with the edge of the platform. A 1” nylon (white) spacer will clear it.

2) I plan on keeping mine on. However, I imagine it should be quick on and offs, esp with a helping hand. All you have to do is disconnect/reconnect the “universal clamp-mounting bracket” apparatus from the platform -> remove/place platform -> remove “universal clamp-mounting bracket” apparatus from jetstreams

Best
Thanks for the additional info, Catch22. So just to clarify, if I measure from the garage floor to the top of the stock roof rails on my Mazda then add 10.5" for the platform height including the side platform rails, I should have my total clearance needed to get into the garage, correct?

Good to know about the relative ease of removal and replacement, too.

Glad you had a great trip and the platform performed well. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Jim

Got back from 750 mile trip around Oregon, in heavy rain, heavy wind/gusts, and snowfall, driving at speeds up to 80 miles (for a couple of miles when passing) - HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

About 160-180 lbs of weight on top of the roof rack that included:

ABCANOPY 10x10
2x 11lb (pancake) filled propane tanks in milkcrates
3.5 gal (filled) rotopax fuelpax
1x pair of TREDPro recovery tracks
Anvil shovel

Hardware
3x sets of Yakima locknload edge brackets
Yakima Recovery track mounts
Yakima Rotopax mounting kit
Ratchet tie down straps
2x Kryptonite cables
3x masterlock weather resistant locks
Yakima Perimeter Side Rails
4 locknload (L shaped) stoppers
Topgrip mount

the only concern i had was the bolts for the Jetstreams, i actually over tightened slightly by +1 Nm, after about 320 mi, those bolts were still tight

Thanks for your follow up, appreciated.
Watched YouTube video instruction for "Yakima Ridgeline Towers w/ RidgeClips 29", I now understand a bit better.

Just to confirm, RidgeClips clamped down by compression only, "no screws are used to attach towers", am I correct? Many flush rails (including my older Tucson) have groves on both sides, making it a snap to attach cross bars. CX-5's rails don't have grove(lip) on inside, only outside of rails have groves. Thule's clamp use 2 M6 screws to attach inside of rails.

If I'm correct, you can move your Yakima cross bars to anywhere you want, please confirm this. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks for your follow up, appreciated.
Watched YouTube video instruction for "Yakima Ridgeline Towers w/ RidgeClips 29", I now understand a bit better.

Just to confirm, RidgeClips clamped down by compression only, "no screws are used to attach towers", am I correct? Many flush rails (including my older Tucson) have groves on both sides, making it a snap to attach cross bars. CX-5's rails don't have grove(lip) on inside, only outside of rails have groves. Thule's clamp use 2 M6 screws to attach inside of rails.

If I'm correct, you can move your Yakima cross bars to anywhere you want, please confirm this. Thanks again.
It’s been a while since initial installation of the jetstreams, but I believe it stays anchored via compression.

EDIT
i just reviewed the yakima installation manual and it appears that there are certain holes on the rails for both front and rear RC29 installation. It appears they are still held by compression, but an extension of the ridge clip might extend into the appropriate rail holes.

Thus, it does NOT appear that the jetstream positions are movable on the CX5 - there is only one position for both the front and rear bars of the jetstreams on the CX5

Last edited:
It’s been a while since initial installation of the jetstreams, but I believe it stays anchored via compression.

EDIT
i just reviewed the yakima installation manual and it appears that there are certain holes on the rails for both front and rear RC29 installation. It appears they are still held by compression, but an extension of the ridge clip might extend into the appropriate rail holes.

Thus, it does NOT appear that the jetstream positions are movable on the CX5 - there is only one position for both the front and rear bars of the jetstreams on the CX5

Inside clips are pegged in side rails.

Thanks again for speedy reply.

Looking at the instruction manual, front cross bar inside clip R9 should be pegged into front mounting hole for CX-5 (CX-9 use rear hole), rear cross bar clip R9 goes into rear hole for either CX-5 or CX-9.

That makes perfect sense as I thought even with tight compression, the cross bars won't be mounted sturdy enough when driving high speed.

My Skybox 16 is 81" long, I want the mounting grips spread as far apart as permitted, which is 36 inches. I've seen a Yakima roof top carrier top being blow-off while driving.

Hi Jim,

Best
Hi catch,

I think you may have missed my follow-up question in post #8. If you ignored it, that's OK, too.

Definitely happy with 50”. In fact, i’ve even considered getting longer crossbars lol

Attachments

• 477450C3-DD22-4B69-861E-8BA2034E606F.jpeg
    477450C3-DD22-4B69-861E-8BA2034E606F.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 142
Back