2019 CX-5 Auto-lock behavior

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal
Currently I have auto-lock configured for 30 seconds. What I've noticed is 2 different behaviors.

If I park and exit and open no other doors, auto-lock happens with seconds.
If I park, exit and open a 2nd door, upon closing the second door auto-lock will go by the 30 seconds configuration.

Has anyone else observed this?

Currently I have auto-lock configured for 30 seconds. What I've noticed is 2 different behaviors.

If I park and exit and open no other doors, auto-lock happens with seconds.
If I park, exit and open a 2nd door, upon closing the second door auto-lock will go by the 30 seconds configuration.

Has anyone else observed this?

I have not noticed that. If my car locks itself when I walk away, it does it once I walk a few feet away from the car no matter what door I close last.

It's my understanding that the auto-lock feature where you can select a time (e.g. 30 seconds) is for when you unlock the car with the remote but then no door opens. After 30 seconds it will lock the doors.

Just an additional note - when you close the door, the single beep tells you that the auto-lock system is active, but it also serves as a countdown timer for however long you have auto-lock set for. In this case, if you close the door and hear the beep, but stay within range, the car will auto-lock 30 seconds after the initial beep, even if you're still in range. Opening any of the doors resets the timer.

Just to point out an auto-lock/walk-away idiosyncrasy I encountered:

If the fob is out of range when the last door is shut, the car will not auto-lock.

My scenario was that I would get my groceries out from the cargo area, hit the Close button on the hatch, then walk to my house as the hatch was closing.

-If I were out of range when the hatch closed, the car would not lock.
-If I stayed in range when the hatch closed and I then walked away, the car locked.

Just to point out an auto-lock/walk-away idiosyncrasy I encountered:

If the fob is out of range when the last door is shut, the car will not auto-lock.

My scenario was that I would get my groceries out from the cargo area, hit the Close button on the hatch, then walk to my house as the hatch was closing.

-If I were out of range when the hatch closed, the car would not lock.
-If I stayed in range when the hatch closed and I then walked away, the car locked.

Sounds normal to me. At least it's consistent. [Nevertheless, I can't see the advantage to it being setup that way.]

Here's a workaround: exit the car, let it autolock by stepping a few feet to the side [not toward the back]. Open the hatch with with hatch button. When you close the hatch and walk away, it will lock, even if you're out of range.

Of course since you're aware of this behavior, you can just walk away and lock it with the fob.

Sounds normal to me. At least it's consistent. [Nevertheless, I can't see the advantage to it being setup that way.]

Here's a workaround: exit the car, let it autolock by stepping a few feet to the side [not toward the back]. Open the hatch with with hatch button. When you close the hatch and walk away, it will lock, even if you're out of range.

Of course since you're aware of this behavior, you can just walk away and lock it with the fob.

You know, you gotta wonder if some of this is "By Design" or "Just Worked Out That Way." I thought I'd point it out for mutualcore, since he was playing around with the various scenarios.

Anyway, that's a good suggestion, unless I just hang out until the hatch closes.

The only time I have this issue is when I get home from shopping and open the hatch with the dash button to get my groceries. I'll just do as you suggest, although not having the car locked while in my driveway is no big deal. There's no one else down here but the critters. And it works fine under all other conditions (such as normal exiting to go into the store).

I despise auto locking doors and have disabled the feature. I do not want the doors locking or unlocking unless I take some kind of action. I also hate the annoying horn beeping when locking or unlocking and wish people would disable that feature on their own cars so I don't get startled walking across a parking lot. But of course the majority of drivers these days never read their manuals and are clueless regarding most of their cars features.
However I digress. I leave all doors locked in my car except the drivers side. When I get out I just thumb the button on the door panel to the locked position. To reenter I just press the button on the outside handle. To open the hatch I press the button on the hatch. No need to manually lock any doors once I close the hatch again. I don't bother locking my car when it is garaged.
The one thing that bugs me is that the button on the dash to open the hatch will not work unless all doors are unlocked. This means I have to hit the unlock all doors rocker switch and then press the open hatch button and then remember to lock all doors afterwards. It seems that the interior open hatch button should operate independently of the door lock status.
I have found that the more automatic features the car has, i.e. climate control, rain sensing wipers,headlights, mirrors that retract, you name it the more I read about people either having problems with them or not being happy with their functions. The solution for me is turn all that stuff off and be engaged with the car on a more active manner. Maybe it's because I have been driving since 1971 and i'm used to manual controls but it doesn't bother me to do things when and how I want instead of relying on some program logic that may or may not be applicable at the time.

I despise auto locking doors and have disabled the feature. I do not want the doors locking or unlocking unless I take some kind of action. I also hate the annoying horn beeping when locking or unlocking and wish people would disable that feature on their own cars so I don't get startled walking across a parking lot. But of course the majority of drivers these days never read their manuals and are clueless regarding most of their cars features.
However I digress. I leave all doors locked in my car except the drivers side. When I get out I just thumb the button on the door panel to the locked position. To reenter I just press the button on the outside handle. To open the hatch I press the button on the hatch. No need to manually lock any doors once I close the hatch again. I don't bother locking my car when it is garaged.
The one thing that bugs me is that the button on the dash to open the hatch will not work unless all doors are unlocked. This means I have to hit the unlock all doors rocker switch and then press the open hatch button and then remember to lock all doors afterwards. It seems that the interior open hatch button should operate independently of the door lock status.
I have found that the more automatic features the car has, i.e. climate control, rain sensing wipers,headlights, mirrors that retract, you name it the more I read about people either having problems with them or not being happy with their functions. The solution for me is turn all that stuff off and be engaged with the car on a more active manner. Maybe it's because I have been driving since 1971 and i'm used to manual controls but it doesn't bother me to do things when and how I want instead of relying on some program logic that may or may not be applicable at the time.
91sn32Q.jpg

Just an update, the way I get around this now is I don't completely close the driver side door if I need to open some other door to retrieve some items. Only once I've got everything I go back and close the driver side door and auto-lock kicks in when I walk away.

I totally get the hostility towards these features, but I'd rather have this slightly flawed system then forget to lock my car.

Latest posts

Back