2016 CX9 Smart city braking issues/questions

:
White 2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
After about 1000 miles I've had about 3-4 unnecessary engagements with this feature. Quite embarrassing as it takes over braking and pumps brakes dramatically. It's happened to me on the freeway once but the most annoying times were in stop and go traffic on fwy and in the city.
I don't see a sensitivity setting, but have read in reviews it exists. It looks like you can only adjust near/far engagement and I've had it set on near. Aside from my pride l, it just feels like it's trashing the brake pads--my cx-7 rotors were warped after 35k despite my gradual braking style.
The cx-9 brakes are already a bit grabby imo, and I just hate when that safety feature kicks in when I am already braking--I hoped it wouldn't work if you are clearly already on the brakes...
Anyway, don't see anything online about it. But I get the sense that it can't be good for your brakes when that system engages. I truly don't consider myself a tailgater, but I am starting to question it...

I am obsessed with my white/sand GT otherwise. Don't have a car commute but look forward to driving it every weekend.

Gradual braking can actually cause the rotors to heat up more, making them more susceptible to warping, especially depending on how gradual the braking is. I don't think having the system engage like it is will hurt the brakes, just annoy the owner, and anyone following.

The feature kicks in when it senses that the closing speed exceeds the ability of the vehicle to avoid a collision at the level of braking force being applied.
In nearly 2,000 miles I've had it kick in only once (also set to "near").
I was gradually slowing while closing on the vehicle ahead that I judged would begin moving before I reached its position.

The engagement was a surprise, but I can see the logic behind the programming.
Heck, at least we know it works!

I can't comment on tailgating, but you may have encountered a similar situation.
Perhaps a bit more brake force as you approach vehicles ahead will minimize or eliminate the issue.

Gradual braking can actually cause the rotors to heat up more, making them more susceptible to warping, especially depending on how gradual the braking is. I don't think having the system engage like it is will hurt the brakes, just annoy the owner, and anyone following.

If you're right about the brakes, that's a revelation after 25 years of driving. I get annoyed when my wife bites hard into the brakes coming to a stop--I've always thought that's what caused the warping. But like I said, my cx7 had premature warping with me as the primary driver....
I will keep this in mind and brake harder, avoiding getting so close. If you've never driven in sf/bay bridge/gg bridge, it's hard to explain how hectic the driving can be here--I'm not surprised that this system activates given my circumstances. Thanks for the feedback--I will change my driving style.

The feature kicks in when it senses that the closing speed exceeds the ability of the vehicle to avoid a collision at the level of braking force being applied.
In nearly 2,000 miles I've had it kick in only once (also set to "near").
I was gradually slowing while closing on the vehicle ahead that I judged would begin moving before I reached its position.

The engagement was a surprise, but I can see the logic behind the programming.
Heck, at least we know it works!

I can't comment on tailgating, but you may have encountered a similar situation.
Perhaps a bit more brake force as you approach vehicles ahead will minimize or eliminate the issue.
Yes I am pleased the system works. Got the car because I got a 2 year old and a new born and want it to work when my wife is toting them around. So it sounds like the sensitivity I've read about is simply the near/far settings?

After about 1000 miles I've had about 3-4 unnecessary engagements with this feature. Quite embarrassing as it takes over braking and pumps brakes dramatically. It's happened to me on the freeway once but the most annoying times were in stop and go traffic on fwy and in the city.
I don't see a sensitivity setting, but have read in reviews it exists. It looks like you can only adjust near/far engagement and I've had it set on near. Aside from my pride l, it just feels like it's trashing the brake pads--my cx-7 rotors were warped after 35k despite my gradual braking style.
The cx-9 brakes are already a bit grabby imo, and I just hate when that safety feature kicks in when I am already braking--I hoped it wouldn't work if you are clearly already on the brakes...
Anyway, don't see anything online about it. But I get the sense that it can't be good for your brakes when that system engages. I truly don't consider myself a tailgater, but I am starting to question it...

I am obsessed with my white/sand GT otherwise. Don't have a car commute but look forward to driving it every weekend.

Car and Driver experienced the same issue.

Just under 1400 mines and I've had it engaged on me about four times. All of them completely unnecessary, usually i was coming to a stop when it happened and a car was in front. It would warn and immediately and abruptly hit the brakes. I finally set it to warn from far so I can at least hear the beep first and have time to react. This morning it happened again, the car in front wasn't even close to me but it only warned, no brakes where applied.
I have a suspicion that it probably uses droppler effect to determine if brakes need to be applied. That is, measures your speed relative to the other vehicles speed, it's not just the distance between the two. That, plus the range of speed it operates at, like, it won't engage under 18mph.

Back