2016 CX-5 Google Maps voice navigation over radio stopped working

:
2016 CX-5 GT w/ tech & activesense
At some point in the recent past, Google Maps voice stopped playing over the car's speakers when I have the radio set to FM/XM. This is with an Android phone. I've looked through other threads but haven't found one that matches this issue, most talk about the voice being cut off or issues with android auto (which i don't have), but I don't hear the voice at all.

I am honestly not sure when it stopped working, but it could have been around the time I had to factory reset my phone for an unrelated issue. Which caused me enough grief for a while that I ignored "minor" issues like this until I had more time to look into it. And well, now it's annoying me enough that I'm trying to fix it and having no luck.

I have been searching and tried the few suggestions I could find (maps nav settings set to play voice over bluetooth, turned off the driving assistant, uninstalled/reinstalled maps, made sure the volume on the phone is turned up). Some talk about an option to play it as a phone call, I can't find that setting.

In fact, some search results have me questioning whether this ever worked the way I remember it, but I am so positive that it did (it hasn't been that long! maybe 6 months? And I can remember discovering the 'workaround' of setting the audio source to my phone) - I could listen to FM/XM and have Google Maps navigation running on my phone, the nav voice would play over the radio through the car speakers. Now, the only way I can get the nav voice to play over speakers is if I set the car radio source to my phone and either drive in silence or play music from my phone. Nav voice *will* still play over phone calls, regardless.

Where I'm really doubting my sanity is I borrowed a friends android phone, paired it, and I have the same issue - no nav voice when fm/xm is playing.

Does anyone have suggestions? Or at least, can anyone confirm that this really did work the way I remember it working for the past 6 years?

Back