2015 Mazda CX-9 Sport OEM Backup Camera install

Hi all, I looked everywhere / searched to try to find an answer on this, but can't find any solid details.

I would very much like to have a backup camera. My CX-9 did not come with one, although the hole is there for it. So it seems like it would be simple enough to just buy the OEM camera somewhere. But my real question is whether that is all I need? Does this year range of CX-9 have the wiring needed for me to just plug-and-play with the OEM camera?

Part number I'm looking to get is TK21-67-RC0C

Also are there any good resources for instructions on OEM parts from Mazda? I purchase the OEM Trailer harness and that came with paper instructions and definitely was plug and play.

Thanks!

The OEM cameras are horrible; the image is blurry/fuzzy at best. You'd be better off getting an aftermarket one.

The OEM cameras are horrible; the image is blurry/fuzzy at best. You'd be better off getting an aftermarket one.
Do you have a kit you recommend?

I've read they are bad, but I just want something for a quick spot check, still curious if anyone knows the answer to the question.

I just watched the review video of my model year 2015, the camera doesn't seem that bad to me... certainly not super high res or anything but perhaps it improved with the revision C of the part...

Anyone know the answer to my question on the ease of install for the OEM part?

Do you have a kit you recommend?
All I can say is around 10 years ago, I bought a $20 monitor and a $15 camera off e-Bay for my last ride, and it put the CX-9 one to shame. I would say anything on the market today should be better than our OE junk.

Camera is half of the battle, if you have a harness in place is basically plug and play for the OEM cam. If harness is not there you need to run wires for power, ground and video from your CMU. I'm guessing you running Connect software, then also you need this adapter:
OEM camera is 6volts because CMU provides 6V and it wants to "see" a source load and thru CANBUS be able to switch inputs when you apply Reverse.
If you want to use a 12V cam you add a step-up converter 6Vto12v and wrap it, Amazon or ebay sells those.

Camera is half of the battle, if you have a harness in place is basically plug and play for the OEM cam. If harness is not there you need to run wires for power, ground and video from your CMU. I'm guessing you running Connect software, then also you need this adapter:
OEM camera is 6volts because CMU provides 6V and it wants to "see" a source load and thru CANBUS be able to switch inputs when you apply Reverse.
If you want to use a 12V cam you add a step-up converter 6Vto12v and wrap it, Amazon or ebay sells those.

Thanks, very helpful info!
So the harness may already be there? I guess I can try taking it apart and looking for the 5 pin connector. I'll end up doing this eventually and report back.

Back