2013 Mazda5 turbocharger installation

Keeping with my reputation for professional work, here is my latest addition: AEM Failsafe AFR/boost gauage.

iCCtTB7.jpg

Give me a break, it's working, and I have to be up for work in under 6 hours...

Keeping with my reputation for professional work, here is my latest addition: AEM Failsafe AFR/boost gauage.

iCCtTB7.jpg

Give me a break, it's working, and I have to be up for work in under 6 hours...

I have this exact same gauge and love it!! but man.. I hope that's temporary lol.

BTW, don't install it in the round vent to the left of the steering wheel.. the sun glare makes it impossible to read / see

Haha, living in TX - the vent installation location was never even on the list. No way I'm giving up that cold air! I think I'm going to do a custom pod to the left of the instrument cluster.

Nevermind... I have an 07 and that could work but in your dash arragement I think the same as you... But you could cut one up and fit it flush on that spot... And it has a little visor for the sun...[emoji41]

Random datapoint here, but whatever...

I was looking at my datalog that I took this morning, then went back to some of my old logs out of curiosity.

Maximum MAF (g/s) values that I saw:

Stock: 138g/s
NA tuned: 153g/s
turbo, "as close to 0 boost as possible": 167g/s

"As close to 0 boost as possible" means wastegate fully open, and I see 1.06-1.07bar at ~4500rpm, and 1.01bar at redline.

Random datapoint here, but whatever...

I was looking at my datalog that I took this morning, then went back to some of my old logs out of curiosity.

"As close to 0 boost as possible" means wastegate fully open, and I see 1.06-1.07bar at ~4500rpm, and 1.01bar at redline.

What is your WOT AFR's look like? still on stock injectors I presume?

Did you have the car tuned when you were stock? If so, how long did you drive with this setup? Did you observed any benefit? If I’m understanding this right, the car seems to suck ~11% more better than stock? Any WOT AFR numbers on NA tuned?

Did you have the car tuned when you were stock? If so, how long did you drive with this setup? Did you observed any benefit? If I’m understanding this right, the car seems to suck ~11% more better than stock? Any WOT AFR numbers on NA tuned?

Sorry, not sure I understand the question - stock is stock, and NA tuned is the final results of ECU flash tuning while the engine was still NA.

MAF (g/s) is how much air the engine is consuming, and as a rough estimate can be used to estimate power - because you can dump in as much fuel as you like but can only burn as much as you have air to support. (there's other aspects like timing and VE, but it's a rough estimate like I mentioned).

So in addition to subjective improvements (butt dyno) from the NA tuning, this could be considered objective data to support it.

The other point is that even with the WG open and trying to create no boost, I'm still getting boost (1.07bar, about 1psig), and can see that in MAF data as well.

The turbo looks very well sized to this engine, and the WG is surprisingly efficient from the data. Pressures rise immediately with even minor throttle openings. I'm creating over 1bar at 1600 rpm, peaking at 1.07 bar at 4500rpm,and maintain 1.01 bar to redline.

Sorry, not sure I understand the question - stock is stock, and NA tuned is the final results of ECU flash tuning while the engine was still NA.

MAF (g/s) is how much air the engine is consuming, and as a rough estimate can be used to estimate power - because you can dump in as much fuel as you like but can only burn as much as you have air to support. (there's other aspects like timing and VE, but it's a rough estimate like I mentioned).

So in addition to subjective improvements (butt dyno) from the NA tuning, this could be considered objective data to support it.

The other point is that even with the WG open and trying to create no boost, I'm still getting boost (1.07bar, about 1psig), and can see that in MAF data as well.

The turbo looks very well sized to this engine, and the WG is surprisingly efficient from the data. Pressures rise immediately with even minor throttle openings. I'm creating over 1bar at 1600 rpm, peaking at 1.07 bar at 4500rpm,and maintain 1.01 bar to redline.
Sorry I wasn't clear, lost in translation of a bad joke. I thought you were stock and only getting tuned for the turbo setup. Did not know you had an NA tune done before putting on the turbo and getting retuned. How long were you on the NA tune? Your data points show the engine was optimized to take in about ~11% (10.8) more air over stock tune, which as you stated is a roughly correlated to HP. My following question is did you capture any AFR data points on some WOT runs when you were only NA tuned? How rich did it run under WOT with the NA tune? Was this done on regular gas or premium? Did you like it?

In summary, I’ve wondered if getting the NA tune is worth it. Any comments from you side on this alone? $500(?) is worth it IF there are long term gains in a better (relative) optimized engine. Perhaps I should start another thread b/c this is not directly related to your turbo setup.

so why exactly are you even tuning on stock injectors.. seems quite pointless. especially since you would only do so for a proper maf calibration, which you should already have since you have been N/A tuned.

edited out :) my bad

Last edited:
OMFG!

Sickest 5 thread in this forum's history, by far. Very, very nice.

I skipped from page 1 to 5, but can't wait to read the other pages.

EDIT - the only build that was really impressive prior to this was the Speed3 drivetrain swap years and years ago. 5-6?

Last edited:
Holy s***. Your estimate and actual sheet is ridiculous. Seriously cool stuff.

I may have missed it, but how did you come to the conclusion that you needed to do this? Are you building during the day or something?

Back