2012 Mazda5

Hey it's a return to durable vehicles. I'd rather have the black plastic/rubber part scratched than the painted part.

auto123.com Canada 2012 Mazda5 Preview

mazda_5-2012-i1.jpg

When the Mazda5 first appeared in 2006, it was the sole inhabitant of its category, since it really didn't have any direct competitors. Although vehicles of its type were popular in Asia, the Mazda5 was the first to introduce a compact, 3-row, fuel-efficient vehicle in North America. Since then, it's been joined by the Kia Rondo, with others like Ford Grand C-Max and the Chevrolet Orlando on the way.

Seemingly unfazed by the encroachment on its territory, the company feels that "competition is good for business" says Greg Young, Public Relations, Mazda Canada.

In a market that seems to be rebounding after the devastating recession of the last couple of years, the compact utility segment is up a healthy 17%. It and the large utility category are "driving the growth of the industry" says Young.

Since its inception, the Mazda5 has sold 50,000 units, and was in fact the number #2 selling nameplate (after the Mazda3) in the company's Canadian lineup last year.

Wisely, Mazda resisted the temptation to make the vehicle bigger, or make any dramatic structural changes, remaining "true to the basic concept, but improving key areas to make it more appealing" says Young.

Distinguishing it from the increasingly box-shaped crowd, the Mazda5 is the first production vehicle to showcase the new "Nagare" design language. Designed to resemble a "single bead of water with ripples intentionally left on the surface, such that the bodys lines express the flow of motion" the vehicle's sheetmetal is creased with dramatic, flowing waves.

The ever-popular sliding doors remain, but have been lightened for ease of use. The tailgate's lift has been heightened for maximum clearance.

Elements of the Nagare design theme are picked up throughout the cabin although it remains "very much about function" says Greg Young. "Interior flexibility is its key selling point".

Offering 3-row, 6 passenger seating, the Mazda5 is extremely versatile and able to swallow an amazing array of "stuff". The third row splits 50/50, and when folded flat, provide 426L of cargo space. Drop the middle row, and that number increases to 857 litres. Front row seating is comfortable and roomy, but legroom in the passenger rows could be considered adequate at best.

The driver-centric cockpit features an all-new instrumentation pod as the focal point, with lines flowing downward through the centre stack and wrapping around the cabin to create a "sense of unity".

There are plenty of cubbies for iPod, cell, sunglasses etc., and some ingenious hidden storage for laptops, briefcase or purse under the floor and seat cushions.

In keeping with Mazda's "Zoom-zoom" mantra, the Mazda5 receives an extra boost in power underhood. The engine increases from 2.3 to 2.5 litres, and from 153 to 157 horsepower, while offering an estimated 0.2 - 3L improved fuel economy. The standard transmission is a 6-speed manual, with a 5-speed automatic offered as a $1200 option. The underpinnings are basically the same C1 global platform as the Mazda3 sedan, with MacPherson struts in front and independent multi-link suspension behind.

All 2012 Mazda5 will include the Brake Override System which automatically overrides the throttle if brake and accelerator pedal happen to be pushed simultaneously, preventing unintended acceleration issues.

The Mazda5 will go on sale in January of 2011 and will be available in two different trims.

The base model GS equipped with 6-speed manual starts at $21,795 with standard 16-inch alloy wheels, power mirrors, power windows and door locks, air conditioning, AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo, audio auxiliary jack, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, remote keyless entry system, one-touch up/down drivers window and 50/50 split fold-down third row seats. An available Convenience Package ($845) adds: a Bluetooth hands-free phone system with Audio Profile music streaming capability, steering wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls, leather-wrapped steering wheel, trip computer and an anti-theft alarm system.

At $24,395 - the Mazda5 GT includes everything on the GS with Convenience, and then adds 17-inch alloy wheels with P205/50R17 all-season tires, sport side still extensions, rear liftgate spoiler, fog lamps, Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights, Bluetooth hands-free phone system with Audio Profile music streaming capability, SIRIUS satellite radio, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, trip computer, heated front seats and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

An available Luxury Package ($1,790) adds a power moonroof, leather-trimmed seats and a center row fold-out table/cargo bin.

No navigation system is offered, since Mazda believes there are more economical options for customers to purchase on their own.

[auto123.com]

^^ I guess those 50k and 2nd place lineup sales place is not overlook in Canada :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AWSs1B7g0xI" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I like the look of the 2012 model. I'm not going to sell my '09 to buy one, but I think that it will help Mazda5 sales.

We already have a 2006GT. So getting a 2012 is less attractive than the money that's coming into the wallet after we've paid 2006 off. But the 2012 looks ok.
With the Stability control, bigger engine... and the bluetooth. These are the things that i can think of that's interesting to me. I think the ride
and zoom-zoom experience would be the same..

Eliminating the Navi system.. is a good decision.

But they now have the power moonroof and the center folding tray as a 'luxury package',
Wow --- these were standard on the 2006 GT.. Well I guess there has to be a profit margin to maintain.

In the most unlikely event that we would go for a 2012, I will defintely get a GT, with the luxury package.

Last edited:
Was there an official statement that the idle-stop was removed from the engine specs, or was it just a "forget we even said anything"?

I am ready to upgrade my 2006 Mazda5, and the big selling point was that feature, since I do 90% of my driving in the city. Without it, I am really just getting a little more tourque, the same HP (the 2006 is listed as 157HP) and slightly better gas mileage. With gas prices back on the rise, it would be nice to see auto makers not resort to their old ways, but actually do something positive in North America (like introduce new diesel engine options.)

Mazda was marketing the {insert word of choice here} out of their i-Stop and the fact it was in this model.

Boo! (Hoo!)

2012 Mazda5 GS Day 1 (Canada)

2012mazda5_jb14-176.jpg

2012mazda5_jb17-165.jpg

It is barely 2011 and here I am driving Mazdas newest model, the 2012 Mazda5, a vehicle many would call a mini-minivan. The 2012 Mazda5 is completely redesigned but doesnt stray too far from its original intent of a small, nimble people carrier.

My tester is a GS version with added convenience package which adds Bluetooth, cruise control, trip computer, leather wrapped steering wheel, steering wheel-mounted audio controls and an anti-theft alarm system for a very appealing $845.

Base price for my tester is $21,795, which gives you a lot of vehicle for the money. Although, yes, you could fetch the much larger Dodge Grand Caravan in base trim for less, feature-wise, this mini-minivan comes with nearly everything you would want.

And it comes with one thing that no other vehicle in this class can offer you: a 2.5L four-cylinder engine producing 157hp and 163lb-ft of torque, mated to a six-speed manual transmission.

Other standard features in the Mazda5 GS include ABS with EBFD (electronic brake force distribution), traction control, power door locks and power windows and mirrors, rain sensing wipers, keyless entry, tilt and telescopic steering, automatic climate control with air conditioning and dual front air bags, side air bags and side curtain airbags.

2012 Mazda5 GS
MSRP as tested (excluding destination): $22,640

[Canadian Driver]

2012 Mazda5: Weekend Warrior (MotherProof.com)

photo1.JPG

Ive always been a bit of a closet Mazda5 fan. Its been a few years since I last drove it, but I remember being impressed with its usability that includes seating for six in a littlealbeit odd-lookingpackage for a small price. The Mazda5 has been redesigned for 2012. I have to say that I love it even more now and am ready to come out of the closet and tell the world why.

First, lets talk about the elephant in the room. The Mazda5 is strange looking. Thats right. Strange. Its part minivanonly more miniand part sport wagon. In the past Ive likened its look to a wedge of cheese. For 2012, the 5 is less angular and more fluid with lines that are almost wavelike, but its still um different.

That being said, I happen to like unconventional things. That the Mazda5 doesnt fit into any car category gives it a few bonus points in my book.

The three rows of two seats really make the Mazda5 a winner for my family. There was plenty of room for all three of my kids in their booster seats, plus extra space for Grandma to join us for a ride to Zoolights.

The second-row captains chairs slide back and forth independently to adjust the amount of legroom in each row. When we needed more cargo space to lug the kids Christmas loot from the grandparents, I was able to quickly fold one of the third-row seats flat to expand the cargo area. The second-row chairs have a passageway between them, making access to the third row easy even if child-safety seats occupy that second row. One of the second-row seat cushions lifts up to reveal a storage space and a flip-out cupholder/tray/toy bin.

Despite its numerous seating and cargo configurations, the Mazda5 is still drivable for those of us who dont like feeling like were lugging a school bus behind us. It has enough power and feels more like driving a sedan than anything else. The Mazda5 also sports an impressive turning radius that means you can squeeze into even the tightest of city parking spaces. The two sliding rear doors will keep little ones from slamming unruly doors into the next car in a tight parking spot.

The 2012 Mazda5 arrived at the perfect time for my family. Were growing from three to five and looking for a new car to grow with us. Im used to driving a tiny Volvo C30, so Im just not ready to upgrade to a honkin huge crossover, SUV or full-size minivan. The Mazda5 might just be the perfect compromise, allowing us enough space for everybody while delivering a bit of Mazdas legendary zoom-zoom.

[MotherProof]

those doors are going to be a nightmare to fix if they every get in an accident. My wife's corolla got hit in a parking lot, very lightly, and it cost the other person $1100. Those Mazda5 doors they may as well just replace since there is not way a body shop will get the curves right.

I REALLY dislike the sides but I did read an interesting comment. Why is everyone so fixated about fixing the door!! Yes, we do get day to day door dings but not many people get into such damage that requires significant door work. Additionally, someone else’s insurance is going to pay unless you manage to damage your own door -your need to look elsewhere for help. For significant damage, you'll prob get a new door, or as body shops are starting to do now is just replace the outer door panel, which comes with pre-stamped creases and all. This is will prob be the cheapest option over paying a body buy by the hour to recreate those hideous lines... Additionally, in the event of such damage, I'd like to think of it as an 'opportunity' to have the body guy fill in the creases and make it look like the Mazda 3.

All said, I still REALLY dislike those side creases...

I Wouldn't go as far as wanting the older model's door panel b/c they would not match the existing fender lines. The new door do have some nice lines, like the upper most and lower most area. All I want is to remove the two MIDDLE creases.

Here's my 3 min rendering via Paint :D

Attachments

• 2012Mazda5BeforeNAfter.jpg
    2012Mazda5BeforeNAfter.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
It really does seem to be weird for the sake of weird, doesn't it? I think it will be a very short lived styling exercise, like the original Subaru Tribeca nose was. I think 2 years and done since its a canceled design direction on top of everything else.

i just hate that they keep saying it is all new, but it really is just a re-design. same basic car. not like going from the protege to the 3.

and i still wonder why the 2.5L makes such less horsepower compared to the other cars that have it.

um, nope. since the 2012 mazda5 is really just a late 2011. they are already arriving, and should be in most dealers by Feb.

Back