2012 Mazda5 in cabin air filter

Colin09

:
2012 Mazda 5 Touring
I apologize ahead of time if this is posted in the wrong section. I'm trying to find out why Mazda recommends that I replace the in cabin air filter on my 2012 Mazda5. I have approximately 65k miles on it. Does it help the air run better or something like that ? What exactly is the point of changing it out ? Thanks.

It is like the furnace filter in your home. It traps all the dust, dirt, leaves, seed pods, rodents, tree debris from being pushed into your cabin.

If left alone without changing, all the trapped junk can build up and restrict flow, and then start becoming moldy, not to mention reduced heater and A/C performance and blower motor life.

Should be changed if you have that many miles on it. 24k-36k miles is average, or once a year if your concerned about your air your breathing.

Last edited:
I apologize ahead of time if this is posted in the wrong section. I'm trying to find out why Mazda recommends that I replace the in cabin air filter on my 2012 Mazda5. I have approximately 65k miles on it. Does it help the air run better or something like that ? What exactly is the point of changing it out ? Thanks.

Because THIS is what mine looked like at 50,000 miles.

ilBVnk2.jpg

Anyone have a diagram or some instructions on replacing it?

I'm guessing it's the industry standard "Pop off glove compartment and pull tab"

Haha you wish! But it isn't that bad, up under the passenger side of the dash is a little black door and two screws. Remove them and pop the door off and you can pull the filters out.

Back