2012 CX-9 Touring went in limp mode after trying to sell at Auction

Took my 2012 Mazda CX-9 to sell at auction with a maintenance light on only and it drove fine on the way there...Ran it a couple times so it was there 2 weeks or so...When I picked it up today the CHK engine light is on (didn't check yet) and it's driving in limp mode max 25mph. I know other sellers and buyers in general are real shady and salty at the auction, could they have unplugged/disconnected something, I do not know where to even check.

Worse case, is it safe to ride in limp mode from the auction to my mechanic, it's about 20 miles.

I’d get the code scanned first. I’ve had one vehicle go into limp mode and I would not want to drive that 20 miles. If you have AAA, just drive it a mile from the auction place and call them to get a free tow to the mechanic. Doubt they’d care if it was at an auction house anyway. I’ve had them bring a vehicle from a dealership to a different mechanic before.

I’d get the code scanned first. I’ve had one vehicle go into limp mode and I would not want to drive that 20 miles. If you have AAA, just drive it a mile from the auction place and call them to get a free tow to the mechanic. Doubt they’d care if it was at an auction house anyway. I’ve had them bring a vehicle from a dealership to a different mechanic before.
Yes, it's currently parked at another auction, it could stay there a while as they won't even notice lol but I'll take my scanner and check it out. Thanks.

Op here, turns out someone at auction disconnected the MAF sensor, hooked it up and it ran normal, chk engine is still there, my obd reader says its the coil ignition (p356), also a sensor that connects to the High AC pipe was disconnected, i wonder if thats why the air was just blowing warm.

My obd reader says its a code P0356 ignition coil F (cyl 6), I really hope this is all it takes to fix it.

A new coil is about $25. Swap it and see. Cylinder 6 is easy to get to, it's the first plug from the right side when looking at the engine from the front of the car.

I recommend taking the coil pack from one of the other six and swapping it and see if the problem follows the coil pack before buying a new coil pack.

Back