2010-2012 CX-9 installing factory Nav system

prowler97

:
2011 Mazda CX-9
Hi All,

I am new member here and this is my first Mazda I have ever owned. I needed a 7-passenger SUV and all the other SUV's I drove (Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder & Tahoe) all felt like I was driving the living room sofa, not to mentioned dated. I bought a pre-owed 2011 CX-9 Grand Touring; I was looking at 2013 CX-9 but it wasn't $10K nice than the 2011.

With that said my only dislike with the CX-9 GT is the small screen on the radio & back up camera display. When I use the Bluetooth Audio no info is transmitted to the LCD screen. I have the bose sound system, back up camera & Sat radio so I was wondering If I bought the factory or OEM navigation system can I just pug it in?

I know there are 3 OEM different Nav Systems for the CX-9

• 2007-2009 - Part # TDY066DVX - Maps stored on external DVD hidden in the dash
  • 2010-2012 - Part # TEY166DVX - Maps stored on DVD in Unit
  • 2013-2014 - Part # GJS166EZ0 - Maps stored on SD card

Can I just plug & play with 2010-2012 GPS units?
Can I plug & play with 2013 GPS system?

I don't really want Navigation, just better display of info & back up camera.

I've looked thru the forum and read that aftermarket systems (like Rosen) don't work that great because some the steering wheel controls are lost, along with HVAC system, clock adjustment & info. I don't want to loose any functionality.

I look forward to your responses.

Subscribed, as this would be ideal.

Have you found any of the "2010-2012 - Part # TEY166DVX - Maps stored on DVD in Unit" units for sale?

Last edited:
I've found a couple used units on "used parts" web sites.

Now, just need to know if it is really plug and play, or does the radio have to be programmed to your vin?

I found one used 2010 GPS unit at local salvage yard, but I don't want to spend $500, tear apart my dash and find out it doesn't work.

I found one used 2010 GPS unit at local salvage yard, but I don't want to spend $500, tear apart my dash and find out it doesn't work.

I sent an email to MazdaParts.org and Mazda USA to see if they can answer. I will post if/when they reply.

Has anyone done this successfully ? I would like to have the larger screen size of the unit with NAV .... I see a few for sale on ebay of $500 to $600.

Thanks

I have looked at the back of both units when I considered doing this, and the 7" nav units have a lot more connectors than the regular units. If you check on ebay look for LQK's listing, they usually provide the most pictures and you should be able to see the differences yourself.

I have looked at the back of both units when I considered doing this, and the 7" nav units have a lot more connectors than the regular units. If you check on ebay look for LQK's listing, they usually provide the most pictures and you should be able to see the differences yourself.
I did, the NAV unit and non-nav bose unit are almost identical with the nav unit having an extra connector for GPS antenna.

Back