2009 CX-9 with Foliatec / Plastidipped rims and red brake callipers

dxbcx-9

Hey guys, dipped the wheels in Anthracite Metallic and painted the callipers red :D . Used a product called Foliatec Spray Foil (very similar to Plastidip, but made in Germany) and Foliatec Brake Caliper Lacquer in Rosso Red. Very happy with the results (breakn). Pretty easy to apply at home just time consuming!

Will try to attach some pictures of the car running :)

Apologies for picture clarity, shot on iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_4774.JPG
    IMG_4774.JPG
    633.8 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_4776.JPG
    IMG_4776.JPG
    684.4 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_4778.JPG
    IMG_4778.JPG
    745.8 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4783.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 468
Definitely a nice plasti-dip application. Great "anthracite" color too, looks darker in the shade than the brighter close up photos.

Took us 7-8 hours in total to get it done at home ! Well worth it though :). Yup, the colour looks different in different lighting.

@dxbcx-9 what size spacers do you have? I have 5mm and it's not enough. I was thinking about 15-20mm with extended studs.

@dxbcx-9 what size spacers do you have? I have 5mm and it's not enough. I was thinking about 15-20mm with extended studs.

Hey robertof, I don't have any spacers yet, it's all stock. Spacers is next on my list though (this car could really do with it) and ideally I too would look at something between 10-20mm, anything less wouldn't make a significant difference !

Last edited:
I really like the red with dark shade. For the calipers, what was your method for cleaning them and is the foliatec brake lacquer a plastidip type formula made especially for the calipers or is it a regular type of lacquer paint?

Thanks

I really like the red with dark shade. For the calipers, what was your method for cleaning them and is the foliatec brake lacquer a plastidip type formula made especially for the calipers or is it a regular type of lacquer paint?

Thanks

Hey BMXDAD, Along with the brake calliper paint they provide the calliper cleaner spray. Just brush of the dust build-up with it and you're good to go. The brake paint is regular type of lacquer paint, only the wheels have a plastidip type form.

http://www.foliatec.com/shop/en/lac...er-lacquer/55/brake-caliper-lacquer-set?c=151

thank you. I'm thinking of doing my Blue Mica GT with the red calipers and maybe the door jams red.

Your wheels are awesome! How did you apply the plastidip?

Hey, there are tons of tutorials on youtube for applying it, here is how i did it:

1. Jack the car, remove all the wheels (it can stay on the tires).
2. Wash the wheels thoroughly with some good soap and if possible some proper wheel cleaner to remove all those stubborn brake dusts etc.
3. Dry them properly.
4. Foliatec provides some cards which can be used to protect the tires while spraying the wheels (picture attached)
5. Apply 3-4 coats of the product. Wherein, the first coat is a base coat as in you just spray enough the lightly cover the entire wheel, this gives you the base to work with and for the 2nd coat to grip onto.
6. Intermediate coats and go on full wheel with no gaps.
7. Final coat should be a wet coat, spray a thick layer of the Foliatec (plastidip) such that it looks wet
8. Let it dry naturally (don't force dry with a blower etc.)
9. Mount wheels back on

Pic.jpg

You'll find some of the best videos on youtube that explain this process in detail and the necessary precautions to take.

Happy Motoring :)

Last edited:
Back