2008 Mazda5 transmission problem...Any ideas?

Hey guys so I have been getting problems with my 2008 Mazda 5 around 5 days ago... It started when we were going on a long trip.i was trying to overtake a car and it just lost power for like a second coz the revs dropped but then got back to it.... Its been doing that ever since... We checked the engine and it was fine...we changed the atf but it's still doing that...am starting to think that it might be the clutch but am not sure...Any ideas?

Wait, is your 5 manual or auto? If you put ATF in it I assume and hope it's automatic. Automatic transmission don't have a clutch, but have a torque converter. Usually if the torque converter slips the revs will go up while not transferring any power to the engine/flywheel.

Most Manual Transmissions take ATF...but it does depend on the manufacturer. It's been that way since the 1980's.

The old models used gear oil...like 1970's or earlier. At some point they mostly switched to ATF. Now I think it's hit or miss. So always go by the manufacturer's recommendation.

For example a 1965 4 speed Top Loader took a gear oil. 20 years later, a 1985 T-10 took ATF. Dunno what the manual in the Mazda I have takes. Can't seem to find good info.

Wait, is your 5 manual or auto? If you put ATF in it I assume and hope it's automatic. Automatic transmission don't have a clutch, but have a torque converter. Usually if the torque converter slips the revs will go up while not transferring any power to the engine/flywheel.
It's automatic...is there a way to fix that???

OK, so you don't have a clutch. You have clutch packs. 2 entirely different things.

You can't fix it unless you replace the transmission. Over 100k miles, these transmissions are working on their end of life. My daughter's 2008 automatic has like 120k miles and the transmission had its first slip and revved a bit. Just one instance and otherwise, it runs fine. Fluid level is topped up.

We're just going to wait it out and see how long it'll go, not much you can do on a 15 year old car.

Back