2007 Mazdaspeed6 navigation installation

ohlife

My 2007 Mazdaspped6 did not come with navigation. I want to add a OEM unit but can't find any installation procedure. Do I need a different wiring harness? If I purcahse a complete unit including navigation, stereo and heater/AC controls what modifications do I need to perfrom.

Any help would be appreciated.

While it can be done it really isn't cost efective. You will need a new wiring harness,dash,nag unit among other pieces.

That's just the display unit, you would have to wire all the other sensors and such up also.

Your better off getting an aftermarket unit anyhow, the factory one isn't that wonderful.

I like my portable Garmin better honestly.

What about installing a aftermarket nav system in the stock place? In a car that does not have nav, are the parts out there to use the same type setup that the navigation equipped cars have(the trap door kind of thing)?

The stock nav unit was not touch screen, so you would also have to carve into the center console to mount the controls. I remember reading a write-up somebody did about adding a pop up nav unit to their ms3. They went with a touch screen unit, had to replace the top part of the dash and their headunit (nav passed through it), routed wires all over the place, and ended up paying thousands of dollars for it. The sad truth is there is no cheap or easy way to go about doing this. Best thing to do is ask yourself, "is a really tech looking nav unit in my dash worth thousands of dollars and numerous hours of my time?" If the answer is no, then you may just want to consider mounting a portable nav in that compartment (you can hide the wires so it looks clean) and call it a day.

The stock nav unit was not touch screen, so you would also have to carve into the center console to mount the controls. I remember reading a write-up somebody did about adding a pop up nav unit to their ms3. They went with a touch screen unit, had to replace the top part of the dash and their headunit (nav passed through it), routed wires all over the place, and ended up paying thousands of dollars for it. The sad truth is there is no cheap or easy way to go about doing this. Best thing to do is ask yourself, "is a really tech looking nav unit in my dash worth thousands of dollars and numerous hours of my time?" If the answer is no, then you may just want to consider mounting a portable nav in that compartment (you can hide the wires so it looks clean) and call it a day.

Well personally i think navi units are a waste of time. I'm more interested in putting maybe a screen in there to play a dvd or something, but even that i dont know how would work with the stock system. Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I hate my factory nav...would much rather be able to put gauges there, but its a PITA to take the nav out.

I have a Garmin 260w. For $275, it works pretty well (apart from the time it put me 200 miles in the wrong direction in Texas). Plus, I can put it where ever I please, even in my other car!

I have a screen, but priced the other required parts out and it came to nearly $2500 at dealer cost. I may find a way to wire the screen to turn on with a +12V source and buy the RCA input adaptor, so I can stream inputs from an iPod or PC to the screen. Might make the long road trips a bit nicer!

Back