2003 Protege5 Bogging

I took some screenshots while driving a few minutes ago
Screenshot_20201014-130303.pngScreenshot_20201014-131611.pngScreenshot_20201014-131709.png

Got the scanner in the mail yesterday but I didn't get home from work until after dark. Here's what I got for codes

It looks like you may have smoked your pre-cat.
But maybe not.
Clear the codes and see if they come back.

Fuel trim is something worth monitoring when looking for fuel/air problems.

Keep your tank topped up until you get your parts replaced.

It looks like you may have smoked your pre-cat.
But maybe not.
Clear the codes and see if they come back.

Fuel trim is something worth monitoring when looking for fuel/air problems.

Keep your tank topped up until you get your parts replaced.

I completely forgot to share this info, but omw home from work yesterday it drove fine to the nearest gas station at 7/8ths of a tank but I still stopped to fill er up... Within 2 miles down the interstate from the station it started doing it again with a completely full tank and continued doing it for the remaining 12 mile drive home. Once I got off the highway it did it again on the takeoff from the exit ramp for roughly 3 seconds and once it cleared the cel started flashing. When I started it this morning it wasn't flashing, does it throw a different code than what's pictured to make it flash?

Today I cleared the codes and have driven it roughly 25 miles. It only bogged down twice and both times were only during takeoffs and only lasted roughly 7 seconds the first time and 3 seconds the second time

When I started it this morning it wasn't flashing, does it throw a different code than what's pictured to make it flash?

The CEL only flashes while the engine is actually misfiring, then it goes solid after the ECU stops the misfiring.

Your car didn't happen to misfire the next day, perhaps because it had cooled off.

If your CEL flashes continuously for more than about 30 seconds, you have most likely cooked your pre-cat.

You're not even supposed to bump start a 5-Speed P5 because of the unburnt fuel that goes through.

But don't worry about that.
There's an easy workaround to clear the code.

Your car is really sick right now.

Is there any way you can stop driving your car until after your fuel pump and filter are replaced?

It's getting really fouled up right now being stuck in limp mode.
You could be fouling or wrecking your O2 sensors and even damaging your main cat?

I'm not sure, but if this means short and long term fuel trim, it doesn't look right.

It may be proof that it's in limp mode?

0.0% and -100.8%.

If the fuel pressure is too low the engine will misfire, but quality, new coils are never a bad idea or a waste of money.
I didn't wait for problems and just replaced my coils.

And keep them spare coils in the trunk just in case! lol

Coils and plugs for sure. You could try removing and cleaning the 02 sensor wiping it off with tb cleaner or rubbing alcohol and see if the 421 code goes away. The non fouler is great as long as you don't live in CA they frown on those here. But theyre cheap and easy to install and work 99% the time. And reset the ecu after so you do the fixes.

Your car is really sick right now.

Is there any way you can stop driving your car until after your fuel pump and filter are replaced?

Yeah, I'm not gonna drive it until I change the plugs, wires, coils, fuel pump/filter and the crankshaft sensor

I'm not sure, but if this means short and long term fuel trim, it doesn't look right.

It may be proof that it's in limp mode?

0.0% and -100.8%.
<

I'm not sure if every feature of the app works correctly, do you have a recommendation for apps to use with the bluetooth OBD's?

Coils and plugs for sure. You could try removing and cleaning the 02 sensor wiping it off with tb cleaner or rubbing alcohol and see if the 421 code goes away. The non fouler is great as long as you don't live in CA they frown on those here. But theyre cheap and easy to install and work 99% the time. And reset the ecu after so you do the fixes.

I'm in Ohio and I ordered a new O2 sensor also, all of my parts will be here by the weekend. I should get everything by Friday so by Saturday everything should be done... I'll follow up as soon as I get it done!

Last edited:
I currently have the paid version of Torque and I use to have that exact same red one, but I lent it to someone and for the life of me I can't remember who borrowed it lol

I could always use my OBD scanner if I had to.
It was about 2013 when I last used it.
I forget if it's Bluetooth, WiFi, or Morse Code. Lol

They have prebuilt spacers now so that you don't have to drill out the Non-Foulers.

You probably cooked your cat.

Last edited:

I remember scoring 4% on a math test in 1983.

I can only imagine scoring -100.8%. Lol

That's worse than Absolutely Wrong!!

Pissin in the teacher's coffee during the test would prolly earn ya a cool -100%

Here's a picture of a piston from my parts car that was burning oil like a MoFo.

Seized oil rings...

Notice the plugged drain holes.

Great news so far!!!! My coils arrived today so I slapped em on and logged 128 miles with no issues whatsoever, as of now at least. And yes my fingers are crossed 🤞💀🤞 The rest of my parts I mentioned above will be here tomorrow and I'll be installing them on Saturday. By then I will prolly log another 100 miles or so on these coils, if no issues by then I'd say it was just the coils that went bad.

My Short Term F/T is .03% and the Long Term is 3.3%... She's runnin like a champ now, especially since it doesn't have one mod done to it. I appreciate y'all's help and I'll keep posting updates as I unleash her inner beast 👀🤞

Reactions: pcb
Back