2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

She posted on many threads telling others not to get a Mazda because of her experience.
So she somehow thinks Mazda should have a full warranty at 126,000 miles. Unreal. Literally over twice the promised mileage (industry standard). Do people think a warranty is supposed to be unlimited?

Yes, this sucks, but tons of cars actually don't make it that far without major repairs.

She posted on many threads telling others not to get a Mazda because of her experience.

The site admin had posted the reason for the ban in the thread that she started (I think), but from what I gather, it wasn't just the thread spam, it was the nature of the posts and the misinformation she was spreading. Most people who responded/engaged with her sympathized with her situation.

That's exactly the same choice we faced with our CX-5. But if Mazda hasn't made upgraded parts available, what's the point? Won't we have the same issues down the road?

I would say yes, the potential for the same problem reoccurring is still there. But it isn't necessarily a guarantee. There are many owners who haven't had any issues with their CX-5s, we just don't hear about those examples because happy owners don't complain.

That's what I was afraid of, on both counts! Well, that's OK, I'll just be happy with our 2016 Mazda6 since the CX-5 is gone. And our next Mazda will almost certainly be one without the current 2.5L. It is a pity, though.

is there any preventive measures that can be taken before the cylinder head cracks? has it been determined why some vehicles are affected or is it just a matter of time until all vehicles are affected?

Sell car and never buy Mazda again? The Head/Turbo interface issue should be a recall. My dealer has replaced 30 engines so far (why did service manager tell me this?). That's only one dealer!

Well, one thing's for sure...I will never be purchasing another 2.5L engine in any Mazda vehicle until this mess is solved. I'm just amazed it hasn't had any more publicity than the little I've seen on various forums.

Well, one thing's for sure...I will never be purchasing another 2.5L engine in any Mazda vehicle until this mess is solved. I'm just amazed it hasn't had any more publicity than the little I've seen on various forums.
You're in luck! You can get their newly developed 3.3 i6 engine!!

The naturally aspirated (non-turbo) 2.5 has a good history, and now the 2.5T has been corrected. The brand new 3.3 straight 6....????????

Posted this over in EMANMAZDA's thread and thought I should add it here also.
--

Just adding my experience to keep this thread going. Have a 2018 CX-9 (2.5T) with 116,000 mi, car went into Mazda service today after smelling coolant in the garage for a few days. Inspection showed the cracked cylinder head. ~$8,000 repair cost, powertrain warranty expired at 80k.
I submitted the NHTSA report, and will probably sign on to the Sauder|Schelkopf class action investigation.
I'll reach out to Mazda NAO but won't hold my breath on that one.

Posted this over in EMANMAZDA's thread and thought I should add it here also.
--

Just adding my experience to keep this thread going. Have a 2018 CX-9 (2.5T) with 116,000 mi, car went into Mazda service today after smelling coolant in the garage for a few days. Inspection showed the cracked cylinder head. ~$8,000 repair cost, powertrain warranty expired at 80k.
I submitted the NHTSA report, and will probably sign on to the Sauder|Schelkopf class action investigation.
I'll reach out to Mazda NAO but won't hold my breath on that one.
Thank you for the NHTSA link. I'll be submitting a report shortly.

Back