2.25in exhaust custom made all by me. listen to it

:
mazda 3 2007 cai,rkm ss,adv. timing mod.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EKRztwmvE

MADE THE EXHAUST IT HAS NO CATS OR MUFFLER OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE AND DONT LET ANYONE SAY THAT A STRAIGHT PIPE MAKES YOU LOSE HP, 1. EXHAUST ONLY ADDS 5-7WHP....YOU GET AN EXHAUST FOR LESS BACK PRESSURE FREE'ER FLOW'N AIR....ITS NOT STUPID LOUD LIKE A CIVIC OR ACURA OR ANY OTHER CHEAP ASS THAT JUST CUTS THE TIP OFF AND REPLACES IT.....I LIKE IT EVERYONE IN MY THAT I KNOW HERE IN SAN ANTONIO IS LETN ME MAKE ONE FOR THEM MY NEXT JOB IS A AE86 IMMA MAKE THE EXHAUST..ANYWAY I LOVE FEED BACK DONT BE A HATER IF YOU DONT LIKE IT AGREE TO DISAGREE

Some people operate under the misguided notion that wider pipes are more effective at clearing the combustion chamber than narrower pipes. It's not hard to see how this misconception is appealing - wider pipes have the capability to flow more than narrower pipes. So if they have the ability to flow more, why isn't "wider is better" a good rule of thumb for exhaust upgrading? In a word - VELOCITY. I'm sure that all of you have at one time used a garden hose w/o a spray nozzle on it. If you let the water just run unrestricted out of the house it flows at a rather slow rate. However, if you take your finger and cover part of the opening, the water will flow out at a much much faster rate.

The astute exhaust designer knows that you must balance flow capacity with velocity. You want the exhaust gases to exit the chamber and speed along at the highest velocity possible - you want a FAST exhaust stream. If you have two exhaust pulses of equal volume, one in a 2" pipe and one in a 3" pipe, the pulse in the 2" pipe will be traveling considerably FASTER than the pulse in the 3" pipe. While it is true that the narrower the pipe, the higher the velocity of the exiting gases, you want make sure the pipe is wide enough so that there is as little backpressure as possible while maintaining suitable exhaust gas velocity. Backpressure in it's most extreme form can lead to reversion of the exhaust stream - that is to say the exhaust flows backwards, which is not good. The trick is to have a pipe that that is as narrow as possible while having as close to zero backpressure as possible at the RPM range you want your power band to be located at. Exhaust pipe diameters are best suited to a particular RPM range. A smaller pipe diameter will produce higher exhaust velocities at a lower RPM but create unacceptably high amounts of backpressure at high rpm. Thus if your powerband is located 2-3000 RPM you'd want a narrower pipe than if your powerband is located at 8-9000RPM.

Many engineers try to work around the RPM specific nature of pipe diameters by using setups that are capable of creating a similar effect as a change in pipe diameter on the fly. The most advanced is Ferrari's which consists of two exhaust paths after the header - at low RPM only one path is open to maintain exhaust velocity, but as RPM climbs and exhaust volume increases, the second path is opened to curb backpressure - since there is greater exhaust volume there is no loss in flow velocity. BMW and Nissan use a simpler and less effective method - there is a single exhaust path to the muffler; the muffler has two paths; one path is closed at low RPM but both are open at high RPM.

Source:http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659727

No offense meant towards op, but funtion/performance result should imo be the paramount factor to design and not soley how the exhaust sounds.
Not hating on your pipe, it sounds nice and all, and if sound is what you were shooting for then contgratulations to you.
I do know for a fact little 4bangers n/a's need a certain amount of backpressure....a straight pipe can't provide it again IMO.

Last edited:
your right it does need a certain amount of back pressure which is why i didnt op for a 2.5 inch pipe the one that comes off the speed 3 is 2.5, its too big for my car, id be losing a lot in the mid range, the stocker is is 1. like 25 i think it was really tiny...i went 2.25 straight out to do exactly what dude said narrow back pressure you can completely get rid of it....and YES i call out honda drivers cuz in my city they are all a bunch of wanna be's, modding the car and keeping stock components then racing and wondering why their s*** blows up asking for help after they ****** the whole car up, i hate fixing someones errors you have to do s*** right the first time it tskes time tho to do it.....i wasnt going for sound i wanted performance free'er flow'n air a good natural aspirated engines best friend is of course AIR!

Smart not going for the larger diameter imo, I have no idea why people with the n/a 2.3 think putting a speed exhaust is going to do anything for them, it was designed for throughput because the speed is fi, imo you want a tighter flow then the speed exhaust gives, not much tighter but still.

I think every town has a pack of perpetraitors running around all fast and furious decked out with the af body kits and holes drilled into the stock exhaust systems....I don't think anything will ever change about that haha!

Last edited:
forreal every town we just had a meet down here in sa as im leaving i came up on about 10 riced out to the max i <3 jdm stickers everywhere..... needless to say not one took me i ate them all!! including a mivec little lancer sadly i went cannabal and ate another mazda 3 too, by 2 cars!!....our mazdas are beasts there hasnt been enough research or trial and error..

I know one thing our engines are very spendy and cost a lot to have work done on, you can buy a hi-output n/a crate long block v-8 motor for less then we can get a built shortblock....everything is so much more exspensive, guys at my work are mainly v-8 hot rodders and we talk about projects all of the time, they like to rub in the fact it's cost me i.e $1000 to get maybe half the performance gains they get on thier blocks for $200-300....sickens me some times.
I think this is why there are only a handful of people that build thier mz3/ms3s beyond stock or bolt ons.

ya but everyone has big block whatever blah blah blah....i always want sum'n diff...mazda 3 is right up that allie ive seen only 2 that were at 500hp at da wheels....it costs alot only if youre paying for labor it saves to do the work yourself....my next step is to up my compression imma run either 9:1 or 10:1(like a freakn s2000 haha oh man) itll be sick ill post up when its done

Back