1st time in snow/slush w/ my M5

mpvue

and it handled way better than I expected. stock toyos, no traction control. we had about 3" of the white stuff last night, followed w/ lots of rain just in time for the morning commute. no slippage, no funny stuff (I drive conservatively in the snow anyway).
I think I'll get through the winter ok w/o winter tires.

me too!!!

I had no problems at all either (2010 Mazda5 GT - 1 week old)...I felt the ABS kick-in a couple of times for a millisecond, but no sliding at all. I'm curious how it will do in packed snow/ice however...very different than the conditions this morning in Toronto. I'll give it a go for a while with the stock all-season Toyos until I start to lose confidence in them. I've never driven with winter tires before and haven't had any problem. I know that winter tires are way better than all-seasons but Toronto winters really aren't that bad...the army only had to be called in ONCE!!!

Last edited:
My ABS kicked on a couple of times today ('09 Mazda5 Sport, 10,000 miles) - it sounded like metal on metal. Maybe it is rusty, or is it something I should have looked at? My regular brakes are working fine.

Driving in snow packed icy road is exciting. With all-season tires, it is unpredictable, the human brain compensates by being highly sensitive to any signs of drifing, sliding, etc. And you always have a plan like 'where to direct the car in case I lose control' - usually to the curb. or ditch.

Winter tires drastically reduces such 'exciting' experience. In a way, it becomes boring. and winter driving experience now approaches that of the ordinary.

It's going to be below zero degrees celsius here next week. I'm eagerly waiting for some proper snow and ice so I can test if the DSC works in our 5. We got the car this year and I haven't seen DSC light up once, so I don't really know if it works at all :)

Driving in snow packed icy road is exciting. With all-season tires, it is unpredictable, the human brain compensates by being highly sensitive to any signs of drifing, sliding, etc. And you always have a plan like 'where to direct the car in case I lose control' - usually to the curb. or ditch.

Winter tires drastically reduces such 'exciting' experience. In a way, it becomes boring. and winter driving experience now approaches that of the ordinary.

With a beater back in college yea I would love just drifting around absolutely for fun, but I have a baby kid to consider now.

Here in Quebec, Canada, we have a law that makes it illegal to drive in winter without winter tires.

Last year I drove with the winter tires on my old car - a WORLD of difference!!

My M5 has winter tires... they work great. I have to be careful though - I do not want to break the front bumper in the snow (lots of M5 have this problem around here).

Traction Control will help maximize available traction to minimize slip. If you do not have any traction, of course the best way to not slip is to not go at all. In these situations you must disable TC or else you will not be going anywhere, whereas without TC you can rock yourself out of deep situations.

It should be law here in Ontario also to have Winter tires. I just get fed up of the people who think they don't need winter tires. They make a world of difference, and really don't cost any extra as they make your summer tires last twice as long!

I got caught with an early snow last year while still driving on the OEM Toyo's. It was absolutley scary! They have no traction what so ever! Of course it would be nice if the Mazda5 had traction control (and maybe TPMS if I wanted to be lazy about it ) but since it doesn't I just have to be a better driver

I make a point to stay well clear of other mazda5's in the winter if I see that they are running the OEM wheels, usually means they are running the stock tires in the winter.

Last edited:
...I just have to be a better driver...

Ha Ha... what's the name of that show on discovery?? Hi Haa!!!

Would be a blast to see that type of show for winter driving in snow and on ice (or both) with summer tires or "all season"...

what would happen to these drivers who say that winter tires are not that good ?​

(naughty)

(oops)​

Last edited:
My ABS kicked on a couple of times today ('09 Mazda5 Sport, 10,000 miles) - it sounded like metal on metal. Maybe it is rusty, or is it something I should have looked at? My regular brakes are working fine.

Heat, do not sweat the noise of ABS. There is no mechanical difference between ABS brakes and regular brakes. The noise you hear is only the ABS computer pumping the brakes for you.

There is no need to or benefit from activating your ABS (by locking up the brakes) on purpose. ABS will be there when you need it, unless there is a warning light on the dash telling you otherwise.

Drive as you normally do, and if ABS is activated, just slow down to match road conditions.

Hi,

I have a silly comment for all of you... and this would help me so much to better understand your posts.

I know what my references are when I say snow, ice, slush, slippery and such - I grew up in it. But when others talk about it - being in different parts of the world - it is hard for me to imagine it, sometimes the descriptions seem weired.

For example, a great big snow storm means 4 inches (10cm) to some, for others it means more than 12 inches (30cm)... it's hard to know and follow everyone since I'm new here and I am discovering new friends.

Would you all mind giving a better description of the weather / road conditions when you post? I will try do do better myself.

Thank you
Phratt

Phratt, What is your weather description? Where I live (Vancouver Island), any weather that happens when the temp is at or below freezing is a big storm. If that weather lasts more than three days, we call it a natural disaster of epic proportions.

Well KBrian, I live about 65Km North-East of Montreal and commute to Montreal twice a week. So I have two different weather descriptions. This is what got me thinking - this is why I spoke about a better description.

When there is a "storm" in Montreal, it usually means between 15 and 25cm of snow - -10 to -25 Celsius - everything is out of sync, for 3 to 7 days (they have to pick up the snow) - often with lots of accidents because people are always in a hurry and forget (or don't want to know) how to drive in these conditions. They simply loose there intelligence, double park on one way streets, spin there wheels on the green lights for more than 10 seconds (at every lights with winter tires). 35cm would be a disaster...

When I am North-East of Montreal, a storm's description will often be different every time... -15 to -35 Celsius - no less than 20cm of snow (we have seen 50cm last year) for one storm's snow fall - ice covered by snow in town - 115Km winds - ice pellets - and so on... Anything less than a combination of these is simply described as "snowing" outside... we would need to be "stuck" for a week or so to consider being called a natural disaster... All in all, we had a total of about 11 feet of snow last year.

As I said, I will try to give a better description of my references. I realized that there is a world of difference in my own commute - I started thinking of the other member's of this forum - what are their winters compared to mine? How can I visualize and compare what statements they make with my daily drive? How would the Mazda5 react in the conditions that are written? How can I drive better? And so on and so on...

When I read about the ABS - I asked myself, looked at my 2009 M5's description and went out to try the ABS... I didn't know they were there, I didn't know how they react, I didn't know how I reacted... and such!! A new toy is born... but I am not quite sure about ABS being a tool yet...

Is there a hydraulic suspension kit on the market for the M5?
Lower it in good driving conditions - put it higher in bad conditions...

Last edited:
it'd be impossible to give an accurate comparison between weather patterns; locally here everyone describes it differently! a storm comes in, one guy says it was horrible, the next go says not so bad.
here in eastern PA, we have everything. some winters are bad (I say bad when the state shuts the hwys down) some are so-so. the winter of 95-96 had ice floes down the Delaware river looked like glaciers. but last winter I only had the shovel out once.
the only area I EVER have trouble driving is in my own neighborhood because of the steep hills and limited on street parking. if I'm parked facing uphill and there was a lot of snow overnight, I can't get out of my spot. but if I'm facing downhill, all is good and I can get to work no problem because the main streets will be clear.

it'd be impossible to give an accurate comparison between weather patterns

Exactly what my point is.... that is why I asked everyone to say something like :
Today we had 2 inches of watery snow

Instead of :

Today we had a big thick snow fall

Everything is relative to everyone's environment. My own situation is different twice a week... what Montreal calls a disaster is a "good snow fall" where I live - 65Km North of Montreal... 1 hour drive...

Exactly what my point is.... that is why I asked everyone to say something like :
Today we had 2 inches of watery snow

Instead of :

Today we had a big thick snow fall

Everything is relative to everyone's environment. My own situation is different twice a week... what Montreal calls a disaster is a "good snow fall" where I live - 65Km North of Montreal... 1 hour drive...
we might get some more snow tomorrow, they really never know around here, report is always inaccurate.
the snow we had that I started this thread about was gone the next day, all slush form the rain.

We had our first winter storm here in Maine earlier this week. Woke up to about 4-5" of heavy wet snow on the ground. I decided I'm going to spend the winter on the stock all season tires. They are not nearly as bad as people have made them out to be and that is after also experience icy conditions later on the night of the snowfall (Snow turned to rain around 3pm). Maybe it's the fact that I drive a standard trans but I don't think there was a single instance of the tires breaking loose during acceleration or cornering.

We also have a Honda Element with Nokian Hakka SUV's on it and the thing is unstoppable. My plan is to use up the tread on the Toyo's and then put some 17" snow tires on the stock wheels next winter and find a set of 18" inch wheels to mount some super sticky summer tires on.

Has the snow / slush melted, Funktional?

In the first winter storm, in Montreal, I was in a snowy parking lots. The M5 did not get jacked up on the snow and get stuck. But it did stop going forward 3-4 times. I just backed up a bit and let the tires do their work.

I'll have to take a look at the make and model of the tires... they were included when I bought the Mazda5.

We had our first winter storm here in Maine earlier this week. Woke up to about 4-5" of heavy wet snow on the ground. I decided I'm going to spend the winter on the stock all season tires. They are not nearly as bad as people have made them out to be and that is after also experience icy conditions later on the night of the snowfall (Snow turned to rain around 3pm). Maybe it's the fact that I drive a standard trans but I don't think there was a single instance of the tires breaking loose during acceleration or cornering.

We also have a Honda Element with Nokian Hakka SUV's on it and the thing is unstoppable. My plan is to use up the tread on the Toyo's and then put some 17" snow tires on the stock wheels next winter and find a set of 18" inch wheels to mount some super sticky summer tires on.
sounds like a good plan. I've thought of doing that also, keep the facotry alloys for winter and get a nice 18" summer setup.
I see you're in portland, ME! one of our favorite places to visit. we love walking the city and getting lobster rolls and hitting all the lighthouses. great little town.

Back