1998 Protege Squeak Issue

GlItCh019

Trying to figure out where this squeaking is coming from. I have a 98 Mazda Protege and it has this annoying squeak that is coming from the wheel and/or relating to the wheels. Yesturday it rained heavy and I noticed that when everything is wet the squeak goes away. But it dried out overnight and slowly came back this morning. So what exactly do you guys think is causing the squeak? Hopefully I can apply some WD40 or something to make it stay away.

The wheels. I can barely hear it with my window up because I know what to listen to. When the window is down it is blatently easy to hear and sometimes unbarable when you're against a divider or something that echos the noise back.

After some reading I think you may be right. Which bushing(sorry if this is dumb but I'm thinking there is more then 1 steering bushing or something) do you think it is? The noise is almost unaudible when I turn left. And is very prevalent when I'm going strait and turning right.

If you could help me locate it that would help, I havn't had to deal with anything like this before.

Last edited:
no hum, and it really sounds more wheel related then a steering bushing. It has a bird pitched squeak to it, not sure what else sounds similar.

GlItCh019 said:
no hum, and it really sounds more wheel related than a steering bushing.

That's precisely why I was asking if there was a hum along with it. I was wondering if the wheel bearing was shot. It usually doesn't squeak in the way you have pointed out, though. The only thing that could be making the noise you're talking about is either the drivebelt slightly slipping on the pulley or one of the pulleys themselves. The squeaking belt is a very common problem on these cars and was actually the first thing I thought of when I read your title before even clicking on it to read the thread. The car has two drivebelts, it could be either one.

SlowPro98 said:
Might be a wheel bearing. Jack the car up and check the boots for cracks.

I think you're confused on that one. You check the boot when you think a CV Joint is bad. A broken boot doesn't affect the wheel bearing. Not only that, if the CV Joint were bad it would make a clicking sound instead of a squeaking sound.

I guess since the squeak would go away when it rained, it was because the water created some lubrication. If all things got solved that easily.

Back