1997 Protege 1.5L Low Idle Issue (Yeah yeah, I know)

ctishman

:
1997 Protege 1.5L
Hey folks, just to start, I did do a search first and I read a bunch of the low-idle posts, trying to see if the issues matched up exactly, though none did.

YouTube Video of my car doing the Bad Thing. (It's a grand total of 20 seconds long)

Basically, it's idling along, then you can hear a relay click, the fan comes on (or switches to a higher speed) and suddenly it gets the bright idea that it's a container ship and that 50-70 RPM is a great idea. After a few seconds of shaking and herky-jerking, it realizes something's not right, and slowly comes up again (though I don't hear the relay reset).

In the last few years, I've:
  • Changed the air filter (~6 mo ago)
  • Cleaned the EGR (~three years ago)
  • Replaced the EGR (~ two years ago)
  • Run Techron (Every 4-6 months, to calm my aging engine's rustled CEL jimmies)
  • Replaced the thermostat (Just today, because it was getting to 80-90% of the meter at 65MPH on the highway)
Anyone know what's going on there?

Thanks!

HEY GUYS, I AM SMRT.

The guys at the shop turned on the AC, and my poor little 19-year-old economy car couldn't deal.

Isn't there an idle control unit that increases idle speed when the engine is subject to a load (like when the AC is turned on)?

Back