16,000 from stockers?

I got about 9k out of my stockers. I'm told that's pretty avg for an ultra high summer performance tire. I wouldn't except anything more than 10-12k miles unless you drive like a grandmother in which case you'd be better off trading the MS3 for a Civic.
Damn, I must drive like a grandma then who rotates her tires every 5k miles, enters and exits every highway on ramp at 50+mph, race all his friends from a dig and practice launches. I'll go trade my MS3 for a Civic next month. I must not know how to drive. How sad....

Last edited:
I got about 9k out of my stockers. I'm told that's pretty avg for an ultra high summer performance tire. I wouldn't except anything more than 10-12k miles unless you drive like a grandmother in which case you'd be better off trading the MS3 for a Civic.
People like this probably have an alignment problem causing premature wear.

+1 i had similar sets of toyos on 2 of my older celicas. one got about 7k more miles on the set because the alignment on the previous car was not too good... something wasn't kosher with that first car because the camber adjustment was maxed and it was still riding on the shoulder a little bit. made a huge difference in the wear pattern, even when rotated properly.

air pressure for obvious reasons.

don't discount temperature effects either. people in warmer climates or driving at higher speeds could generate higher tire temps, softening the rubber a bit and possibly causing some extra wear.

I got 25K out of my stock tires. During that time I only attended one 3 day HPDE and that did chew them up a bit. I also followed the 5K rotation schedule.

I assure you that my alignment is fine. I just happened to log quite a few HARD track miles (on a relatively tight, short circuit that is hard on brakes/tires).

You know you've significantly shortened your tires' useful lives when there are melted chunks of rubber filling the void spaces in the tire treads at the end of the day. ;)

I assure you that my alignment is fine. I just happened to log quite a few HARD track miles (on a relatively tight, short circuit that is hard on brakes/tires).

You know you've significantly shortened your tires' useful lives when there are melted chunks of rubber filling the void spaces in the tire treads at the end of the day. ;)

mmmm chunky rubber in the tread!!!

Ive had mine dealer rotated (and i know they did it cause one of them is off balance...shaking steering wheel and all) So i far i have 15K miles on my 08 and they dont seem to have too much wear.

I have 15,200 miles on mine with 4/32 tread all the way around.
They don't like the rain.
So I am real close to getting new tires.
Rotated every 3,500 miles.
I drive 90% on twisty back country roads.

MS Lowering Springs & Hotchkis F&R Sway Bars.

Last edited:
Most of the cars on here with 10k and above are probably running the stock suspension I assume???

My tires are pretty much shot.

I have 16,000 miles on my car. I feel that's kind of bad for stock tires.

I don't do burn outs, But i do corner hard...

What I really want to know is about how many miles did everyone get out of their stock Potenza's... and what did you switch to when you had to change?

I'm kinda stuck between a few tires and want to find the best tire for the price since i'm a broke college kid.

I just got my stock potenza's replaced at 45,000 miles, I must have had freak tires as when they took them off they still weren't that bad. I did rotate my tires all the time though.

I replaced stockers with 225 sumitomo HTR Z III's they were only $111.00 a peice and actually stick better to the road than my stockers ever did. I dont think it's the tire, I think it's mostly because its wider now.

My tires are pretty much shot.

I have 16,000 miles on my car. I feel that's kind of bad for stock tires.

I don't do burn outs, But i do corner hard...

What I really want to know is about how many miles did everyone get out of their stock Potenza's... and what did you switch to when you had to change?

I'm kinda stuck between a few tires and want to find the best tire for the price since i'm a broke college kid.

I got 38,100 miles on my Potenza RE050 OEM tires.

I always over inflate the tires a little. 36psi front / 38 psi rear

I sold my OEM wheels with OEM tires at 38,100 miles and there was still tread on the tire, for at least 3,000 miles more. Also these tires were used in Auto X 2 times...

Good tires. Now I bought Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. Avesome tires.

Back