Cold Air Intake

newblu3 said:
By the way, Goldwing and Mazda3zoom where in Michigan are you? I have only seen a few on the road around me. PM me if you dont want to post o/t.

Live in Dearborn Heights, work in Ypsi.

Where are you? I haven't seen ANY 3s on the road around me yet. It's a cool feeling. :)

mazda3zoom said:
Da 6.....i have no idea what ur talkin about.lol.what should i take off? and should i just get the short ram intake??thanks
I'm an idiot..forgive me I keep assuming everyone knows exaxtly wht every part is....

there is a box in your fenderwell that is in every (96%) car that has a throttle body to the best of my knoledge. most people arn't into the growl of a 4 cyl or see why people even take a wrench to a car to even go past stock standards. so this box is there for them...I had a cai on my neon and every one to include V8 owners (mostly Mustang) would s*** bricks hearing me drive by at wot. remove that box and you will feel and hear the difrence the instance you put it in D-M(1st if manual). this mod is free and only thing that may cost you money is if you take it to a shop for someone to do it professionaly. it takes 3 bolts to remove it on the 6 and since the engines are the same or 99% splitting immage then it will be similar or the exact same. there are plastic twist things in fender that come off to bring the splash guard down...never crawl under a car withought jack stands!!!!!

and As for SRI and CAI....SRI goes to the farthest corner of the engine bay and the cai goes into the fender well....leaves engine bay. I was under the impression that it was a cai but when it arrived it wasn't(sad2) . to make the best of it i just installed it....and can't stop grinning (spin)

and for the person who said upgrade throttle body....Not shure for you guys but the sixes both 2.3 and 3.0 get electronicly controlled liquid cooled 60mm(or close to) throttle bodys so finding a replacement or paying for one to be made would out weigh the hp gain for just geting a bottle of 75 shot...or saving for a turbo/supercharger kit.

Last edited:
I live in Macomb Township, but work in Troy. It took me two months driving mine around before I saw another one. Really cool feeling. Then I saw 3 or 4 in two days and havent seen any since.

Damn, DA nice tip. I'm going to check that out tonight on my 3.

Da 6 said:
I'm an idiot..forgive me I keep assuming everyone knows exaxtly wht every part is....

there is a box in your fenderwell that is in every (96%) car that has a throttle body to the best of my knoledge. most people arn't into the growl of a 4 cyl or see why people even take a wrench to a car to even go past stock standards. so this box is there for them...I had a cai on my neon and every one to include V8 owners (mostly Mustang) would s*** bricks hearing me drive by at wot. remove that box and you will feel and hear the difrence the instance you put it in D-M(1st if manual). this mod is free and only thing that may cost you money is if you take it to a shop for someone to do it professionaly. it takes 3 bolts to remove it on the 6 and since the engines are the same or 99% splitting immage then it will be similar or the exact same. there are plastic twist things in fender that come off to bring the splash guard down...never crawl under a car withought jack stands!!!!!

and As for SRI and CAI....SRI goes to the farthest corner of the engine bay and the cai goes into the fender well....leaves engine bay. I was under the impression that it was a cai but when it arrived it wasn't(sad2) . to make the best of it i just installed it....and can't stop grinning (spin)

and for the person who said upgrade throttle body....Not shure for you guys but the sixes both 2.3 and 3.0 get electronicly controlled liquid cooled 60mm(or close to) throttle bodys so finding a replacement or paying for one to be made would out weigh the hp gain for just geting a bottle of 75 shot...or saving for a turbo/supercharger kit.

newblu3 said:
I live in Macomb Township, but work in Troy. It took me two months driving mine around before I saw another one. Really cool feeling. Then I saw 3 or 4 in two days and havent seen any since.

I just got out of a meeting and one of the guys told me he's buying a red one in two days.

Canadian spec model with Auto Lamp and Auto Wipers. (argh)

Couldnt deal with the KM/H, plus wont he have to pay a bunch of taxes to get it here? Unless he lives in Canada. Then that would make sense. Sucks that theres gonna be another one in your parking lot though.

resonator is in the fenderwell...same side as the air box....also see if you have the same air box as well....there is a restrictor plate in the bottom of ours and that helped......lil bit. There are K&N pannel filters available...also as stated 1 million times(lol) the one for the 6i may be a direct fit butcannnot be ordered thru pepboys or advanced auto parts...I have to find the site I got mine at...cost was $35 shipped vs the speed shops ordering it and charging $70. I got the filter for when ever I needed to go back stock....I'll try and locate the box it came in and try and get you the K&N part# off it later tonight or tomorrow after work. For those who do not plan on getting a cai or sri this isn't your cup of tea...it's your tea party. the K&N pannel is 1/3 the thickness of the stock one and is pre oiled so all you need is the filter recharge kit for whenever you need to clean it cuse it's reusable.

Last edited:
newblu3 said:
Couldnt deal with the KM/H, plus wont he have to pay a bunch of taxes to get it here? Unless he lives in Canada. Then that would make sense. Sucks that theres gonna be another one in your parking lot though.

Yeah, he lives in Canada.

And he works at a different building. (2thumbs)

Welp... I took out the resonator.

Took me all of about 30 mins to figure out where it was, how it attached and get it out. Could probably do it again in half the time. No restrictor plate in the airbox that I noticed. Once the rez was out, I could see the bottom of the filter through the hole in the airbox (which is about 2 7/8", in case anybody's interested).

Results:
-Definitely adds more bass to the intake system. Good sound at WOT but not so loud that it's annoying. Still whisper quiet at idle.
-SOP Dyno is still undecided. It seems a little peppier but it's hard to tell if it's real or just imagined. A K&N should definitely help out.
-Fun Factor is way up. (2thumbs)

I'll post the procedure in another thread if anybody else wants to do the mod.

Last edited:
K&N part number for the Mazda6 filter is 33-2278

Specs are:

Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 0.875 in (22 mm)
Outside Length: 12.563 in (319 mm)
Outside Width: 6.875 in (175 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.08 oz (32 ml)
Weight: 1 lb (0.4 kg)

I'll check to see if it fits some other time (or somebody else can feel free to).

goldwing2000 said:
Welp... No restrictor plate in the airbox that I noticed. Once the rez was out, I could see the bottom of the filter through the hole in the airbox (which is about 2 7/8", in case anybody's interested).
Did the resonator look like this?
Photo%2018.JPG

airbox plus resonator for the 6i
Photo%2024.JPG

and the restrictor plate in the 6 looked like this...
Photo%208.JPG

sat on bottom of air box covering the hole form the resonator and the hle from the bugle that wend from bottom to front of airbox...also you guys have the flapper right?
Photo%2013.JPG

goldwing2000 said:
Results:
-Definitely adds more bass to the intake system. Good sound at WOT but so loud that it's annoying. Still whisper quiet at idle.
-SOP Dyno is still undecided. It seems a little peppier but it's hard to tell if it's real or just imagined. A K&N should definitely help out.
-Fun Factor is way up. (2thumbs)
Glad you liked it....K&N should do something if you plan on staying stock...- resonator. if you think that is loud...then cai's and definently sri's are...2 times that at wot....same quiet as idle too. thats why I say if you have strict law enforcent then resonator on catback is recomended if you get one

Da 6 said:
Did the resonator look like this?

Nope. Completely different. I'll go get a pic.

Da 6 said:
also you guys have the flapper right?
Photo%2013.JPG

Pretty sure it does but I think it's in a different location. I wasn't really looking for it. Definitely nothing covering the hole between the rez and airbox, though. I could see straight through to the filter from the bottom.

Da 6 said:
if you think that is loud...

Yeah... sorry about that. I made a typo. What I meant to say was "Good sound at WOT but not so loud that it's annoying."

Whoops. (dunno)

Anyway, I sent K&N an e-mail regarding availability of a filter and asked if the 6 one will fit. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do CAI/SRI or not (probably will) but it's nice to have options.

Ok, here's the resonator.

First pic is as it sat in the car, viewed from the left front wheel area.

Second pic is a better overall view.

Yours definitely looks like it was more restrictive. Ours is more less just a curved pipe with a couple extra tubes coming off for air expansion.

Attachments

• P4150002.JPG
    P4150002.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 123
  • P4150003.JPG
    P4150003.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
goldwing2000 said:
Ok, here's the resonator.

First pic is as it sat in the car, viewed from the left front wheel area.

Second pic is a better overall view.

Yours definitely looks like it was more restrictive. Ours is more less just a curved pipe with a couple extra tubes coming off for air expansion.
What size are the bolts? I need to pick up a socket set this weekend. :(

goldwing2000 said:
Yeah... sorry about that. I made a typo. What I meant to say was "Good sound at WOT but not so loud that it's annoying."

Whoops. (dunno)
Anyway, I sent K&N an e-mail regarding availability of a filter and asked if the 6 one will fit. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do CAI/SRI or not (probably will) but it's nice to have options.
it's ok...just puzzled at how it was loud if you actually did mean that...lol and as for filter
goldwing2000 said:
K&N part number for the Mazda6 filter is 33-2278

Specs are:

Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 0.875 in (22 mm)
Outside Length: 12.563 in (319 mm)
Outside Width: 6.875 in (175 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.08 oz (32 ml)
Weight: 1 lb (0.4 kg)

I'll check to see if it fits some other time (or somebody else can feel free to).
http://www.mazda3online.com/product_info.php?products_id=193

i live by Milan and work For Pepsi around Ypsi and Ann Arbor. ive only seen like 2 other 3s on the road.

ok...my prevous car didnt have a resonator on the intake. so if i take that off untill i get a CAI wont there be a hole where it used to be attached? sorry im not too educated about this my old car was a t-bird and didnt have anything like that. i dont think? (dunno)

mazda3zoom said:
ok...my prevous car didnt have a resonator on the intake. so if i take that off untill i get a CAI wont there be a hole where it used to be attached? sorry im not too educated about this my old car was a t-bird and didnt have anything like that. i dont think? (dunno)
..the hole is covered up by the air box...the box is there to quiet the car down...but takes hp away from the car...you will feel the difrence when you remove it...and apreciate the car once you hear the engine....

Back