Side view mirrors vs. video cameras

Skids

In the interest of fuel economy (and the all-important, stand-out factor) I've been seriously considering undertaking a project to replace my side view mirrors with small video cameras and interior flat screens.

The existing mirrors could be chopped off and replaced with two small digital video cameras mounted inside small recesses where the mirrors used to be. A clear bit of plexyglass could then be fitted over the cameras to keep out the elements.

The cameras could then be wired to small (~6" or so) screens mounted on the pillars inside the car. The existing gimbal that is used to rotate the mirror could be used to mount the cameras so that the mirror control inside the car would now move the cameras around instead of the mirrors.

The overall effect would be to completely eliminate any bulge from the side of the vehicle thereby improving fuel economy. I don't know exactly what the potential fuel savings might be, but I'd guess it would be around ~1-2 mpg per mirror for a total savings of ~2-4 mpg. It might look a little funny at first, but that's probably just because we're all used to seeing cars with side mirrors! Once we get used to it, I'm guessing it'll look pretty sweet!

As a side note, if Ari (or any other photoshop gurus) finds themself bored one day at work and wants to brush out the mirrors on a midnight blue P5 so I can see what it would look like, that would be awesome!

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has thought of this before and if so, if anyone can suggest any reasons why this might not work, or have any constructive suggestions. Potential legal problems?

Interesting, so i loaded up photoshop and gave it a try.

First, with the mirror:

Attachments

• pro5mirrora.jpg
    pro5mirrora.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Now, without:

Attachments

• pro5nomirroar.jpg
    pro5nomirroar.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
I think it looks pretty good, dont know how the camera stuff will work in the pillar without any bulge thought.

And i dont think MPG will increase that much.

withoutme said:
Wow!

Alan you look really handsome in that photo!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whats with the rolly eyes? Is that sarcasm? :mad:

Better not be! haha whatever :cool:

Alan, thanks for the pics!

I agree, they look pretty cool!

I did a little more research, and it turns out that you're right. Side mirrors account for ~5% of the total aerodynamic drag of a vehicle. The aerodynamic drag accounts for ~50% of the total drag (rolling friction is the other half). So therefore, the mirrors make up ~2.5% of the total drag on the car. So if you improve our gas mileage by 2.5% you get about a 1 mpg improvement.

It's still pretty sweet though :)

I think it is a pretty good idea although I don't think the cost vs. benefit is worth it but hey when has that ever stopped somebody from doing crazy things to their car. I have been trying to put together a system of 2 cameras for uhhhhh..... IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT...yeah thats it. Mount one by the rearview mirror pointing forward like in cop cars and the other somewhere hidden on the back of the car. I actually got this idea from NOPI. i saw a guy that had night vision cameras mounted front and rear with LED illuminators on them . he did this so they could be hidden and not be affected by his tint. They make some great cheap camera systems. Check ebay. I plan on running both cameras into an a/v switcher and then to a vcr and then to a screen in my dash. So when I want to record or view the cameras I just flip a few switches and bam you have yourself a rolling camera crew. Think about some of the shots you could get on the freeway and at street races and such.!!!!!!!

hey did anyone that went to NOPI see the P5(I think it was a p5 can't remember though. Anyway it had a camera mounted in the hatch along with a flat screeen and so when the hatch was open and people were walking by it was taking their picture. it was over by the Circuit SHittyy I mean Circuit City P5. Oh yeah I know some guys here work for that company so here's my disclaimer... I worked for them for close to a year and got screwed out of soooooo much money it isn't even funny. and when I left they fired my brother for no reason. Plus I know how they do business and I consider it to be SHAADDDDY. I will also say that since the Road shops are kind of run seperately they were much better than just the store and most of the guys were pretty cool.

personally, I would like to rig an A/D converter system to a SBC to run a digital overlay of a video signal. Then I would custom mold a new driver side dash with three high res LCDs, a 12X6 widescreen in the center with two 6" displays placed on either side of the steering wheel. The two side monitors would display video from wide angle cameras mounted in the side marker light locations, pretty much removing the notion of a blind spot or even having to turn your head. For the center monitor, I would have it constantly display a readout of all relevant functions, mainly speed, tach, gas, with other less important facts sent to the side monitors. In the background, the center would then also display any of several selectable sources (hatch mounted camera, front IR/UV/Low light camera, dvd, nav, etc)

It wouldn't be cheap or easy, but it would be fun, especially to see the look of confusion/amazment on somebodys face when they see it in action.

I wonder about the legal problems tho. It might be against the law to remove your mirrors entirely. Get a copy of your local traffic act or if you know a police officer that knows it well, ask him about it.

eepr5, that system sounds awesome! Let me know if you ever get it set up!

I agree with you BigBlue, I am uncertain about the legal implications. I know that it is a law that you have to have at least two mirrors, either a rear view mirror and one side mirror, or 2 side mirrors and no rear view mirror. What I don't know is whether or not a camera and a display count as a "mirror".

I've since done some checking around on ebay and found that there are a lot of broken video cameras and old displays/dvd players that people are selling for really cheap! If I'm lucky, this might come together for around $100.

As a side note, I took a road trip this past weekend and was telling my passenger about this idea. He thought it was pretty sweet and in fact was upset that I hadn't finished it yet because he wanted to watch a movie on one of the screens. I don't think he quite got the fact that the screens are the mirrors... and if he's watching a movie then I can't use the mirrors... :(

check out the x-cams. pretty cheap and great quality. they even have some that are remotly moveable. and you are right on about the deals on cams on ebay.

side note , saw a truck over the weekend that had a camera mounted int the rear bumper and when reverse was selected the video screen in the dash automatically switched to the camera or you could switch it manually. was pretty trick. Don't know what type of camera but the rest of the system was alpine. BTW this was on a HUGE truck and he said he did it because he kept running over things when he was backing up because of heigth and blindspots

Back