Theft detect issue after changing engine (2013 CX-5)

My Mazda cx 5 2013 model wont start after changing engine. Have tried so many mechanics still wont start. Any leads please help

Hi! If many mechanics have tried to troubleshoot your issue with the car right in front of them, and they haven't been able to resolve it, you're going to have to provide a lot more information about the car and what's happening with it for non-mechanics/users on an online forum with no access to your car to even attempt to help. All that is known so far is that you have a 2013 CX-5 with an engine that has been swapped out.

For example - What engine did the car come with, and what engine did you replace it with? Was the replacement engine known to be working? Who performed the engine swap, and why aren't they troubleshooting this issue for you? Why is "theft detect" in your title? What region of the world are you in? When your mechanics looked at the car, what did they attempt to do to fix the no-start issue? Aside from having other mechanics look at the car, have you tried to resolve the issue yourself? The list goes on.

Are you able to upload a short clip of you trying to start the car? This would give a better clarification of what's happening especially your dashboard gauges.

Did you change the ECU?

My 2006 Miata will not start if the ECU and the instrument pod are not mated. Each can be mated only once, when new.

Miata tuners can disable the immobilizer so a different IP or ECU can be used together. I learned this when I bought an IP from a salvage yard and had the horrid red backlight changed to white. Engine would not fire up with the replacement IP, even if it did have pretty backlight. I had to send in my original to be converted.

Last edited:
My 2013 had a short in the wiring near the fuse box/drivers door. It triggered the anti theft and the Mazda dealer had to push it into the shop as they couldn’t start it. They had to reprogram both keys. They said it was because low battery triggered the anti-theft and immobilized the ignition. Engine was fine. Computer was overly protective. I suspect you’ll end up having to take it to a Mazda dealer for reprogramming as they have the tools to do this. At least that’s how it was explained to me.

Back