Struggling with NAV (2024 CX-5)

KenT120

2024 CX-5 SIG
We found out quickly in the last few days how difficult & cumbersome the Mazda NAV is to load or input addresses/destinations.
On my wife's and my previous 4 vehicles we just exported our destinations onto a flash drive then imported them into our new vehicles.
There is no provision or USB to import files that way on my 2024 CX-5.
Back to my Mazda dealer today seeking help on that issue, he recommended that we use Apple CarPlay,
we found that others on-line also recommend AppleCarPlay.
I have almost 100 addresses / destinations that I would like to add to my NAV.
I would appreciate your help, your solutions on how you have dealt with the Mazda NAV.

As far as I know the only way is to enter them manually.
I prefer the built-in Mazda navigation and after two CX-3s and now a CX-5 I have had to enter my navigation destinations manually three times.
I entered the most important destinations one after the other. The rest later when I drove to that destination.
It's a pity that there is no import and export option for all favorites.

Last edited:
Voice command was supposed to work with NAV but I've yet been able to get it to work.

I just entered a new address for my wife and it's cumbersome. Thankfully we don't have to use it
much.

If you have a current subscription for the Mazda app on your phone you can send destinations one at a time to your car from the app. Not an elegant solution, just another method.
Mine is a 2021.

We do have a current subscription for the Mazda app.
We used the the app to send destinations to the car and marked them favorites, we got a message that confirmed that it was sent successfully, but the destinations don't show up on the CX Nav system. Any suggestions ?

What Mazda app are you referring to? I have the MyMazda app, can do remote start, get vehicle location and status, etc. but I see no way to send destinations to Nav system in the app.

Sending a destination from the app has worked for me the few times I've used it. I really don't use NAV very often. Sorry I don't know why it isn't working for you.
For those that don't know about this feature, touch the left icon of the two icons at the upper-right corner of the screen in the app. That should bring up a map with a search function. Once you find your destination you will click on it and a "Send to Car" button should appear.
Again, this is on a 2021; I don't know if different model years have different app versions.
POI.jpg

Last edited:
I've never had the need to save 100 addresses. I think the most I have is 8-9, maybe 10 saved. And, anyway, after driving to the same location once or twice, you learn it and you don't use the NAV anymore. The only reason I use the NAV is because it shows directions on the HUD and I like using the HUD, not because I need assistance in getting to that address. Instead of using a flash drive why not saving them on Mazda NAV and you have them ready available? If it's a new address, right before start driving, I spent one minute to input the address saved on my phone. While the engine is warming up anyway. I really don't see this as an issue. If this is an issue for you, perhaps you should hire a driver.

What Mazda app are you referring to? I have the MyMazda app, can do remote start, get vehicle location and status, etc. but I see no way to send destinations to Nav system in the app.
We have MyMazda app also and have no problem logging in or "starting" our CX

I've never had the need to save 100 addresses. I think the most I have is 8-9, maybe 10 saved. And, anyway, after driving to the same location once or twice, you learn it and you don't use the NAV anymore. The only reason I use the NAV is because it shows directions on the HUD and I like using the HUD, not because I need assistance in getting to that address. Instead of using a flash drive why not saving them on Mazda NAV and you have them ready available? If it's a new address, right before start driving, I spent one minute to input the address saved on my phone. While the engine is warming up anyway. I really don't see this as an issue. If this is an issue for you, perhaps you should hire a driver.
Thanks for your friendly answer. I only have 84 destinations previously saved.
I copied them on a flash drive because that is how we transferred our destinations to our new cars in the past, we just input them from the flash d.
I save so many because I honestly can't remember them all, like when we go to AZ ,NV, UT, CO and onnce in awhile to Canada. Maybe at 81 your memory will be better than mine.

Thanks for your friendly answer. I only have 84 destinations previously saved.
I copied them on a flash drive because that is how we transferred our destinations to our new cars in the past, we just input them from the flash d.
I save so many because I honestly can't remember them all, like when we go to AZ ,NV, UT, CO and onnce in awhile to Canada. Maybe at 81 your memory will be better than mine.
Please accept my apologies.

If you have a current subscription for the Mazda app on your phone you can send destinations one at a time to your car from the app. Not an elegant solution, just another method.
Mine is a 2021.
Unfortunately you are not able to save a destination send through the Mazda app as a favorite.

I've never had the need to save 100 addresses. I think the most I have is 8-9, maybe 10 saved.
I have more than 70 destinations as favorites in my Mazda navigation.
And, anyway, after driving to the same location once or twice, you learn it and you don't use the NAV anymore.
That depends on where you start your journey. The route to your destination can be very different.
The navigation also takes road problems and road blocks into account, which may change your route to your destination while driving. That's why I always use my navigation, even though I know the normal route very well.
why not saving them on Mazda NAV and you have them ready available?
Maybe I do not understand, but wasn't that the original question?
If it's a new address, right before start driving, I spent one minute to input the address
Yep, that was my advice also!
If this is an issue for you, perhaps you should hire a driver.
The fun of owning a Mazda is to drive the car yourself!

;-)

Has anybody figured out how to put a label with the address like "Caravel school" as opposed to 4110 Delplane Rd?
I have about 20 Nav addresses and after awhile especially if you only go to that destination once a year you forget what the address is to.

Has anybody figured out how to put a label with the address like "Caravel school" as opposed to 4110 Delplane Rd?
I have about 20 Nav addresses and after awhile especially if you only go to that destination once a year you forget what the address is to.

1710041399196.png

Unfortunately you are not able to save a destination send through the Mazda app as a favorite.
After posting how to send the destination to the car via the app, I found what you say to be true. The only way to save it would appear to be by pressing and holding the favorites button after you arrive at your destination, but who is going to remember to do that? They certainly could have done a better job with this.

We are having the same issue...It is much too difficult to add addresses to our 2024. Our 2018 CX5 was much easier.

It is much too difficult to add addresses to our 2024. Our 2018 CX5 was much easier.
I agree with that. You had a touchscreen keyboard (at least in my two CX-3).
The more characters you typed, the more characters were grayed out on the keyboard, helping you type faster.
It was better than the non-touch circle in the newer version.
And in the Netherlands, the zip code entry no longer works.
Well, you win some and you lose some...

Last edited:
OK hear me out. Set each destination as a contact in your phone. Sync your contacts with the car. Then go into each contact and highlight the address. Then hold down the favorites button.

Test each one first as some of my address do not work as they are saved in my phone from Google maps.

Side note: you can also do this for phone numbers. So instead of opening the contact from the favorites menu you can dial the cell/home/ or whatever number directly. Saves a few steps.

Hope this helps.

*** also if anyone has a list of viable commands for navigation I would appreciate it.

***** and if anyone knows how to get past the motion lock out please let me know that as well. I can get a list of gas stations with the owm voice commands but can only access the next 2 or 3 on the list. And it's even worse if I try and access something else in another list like categories and or POIs

Latest posts

Back