CX-90 Charging cable 120v / 240v questions

Hi I have the dealer supplied charging cable for my CX90 PHEV and the instructions say its rating is AC 120V / 12A (see pic). I’m currently using it on a standard 120V outlet in my garage. It is slow but charges fully overnight

My electrician is recommending a dedicated 240V outlet similar to a dryer for faster charging (and safer?). (Note: This would be standard 3 prong 240v outlet not a dedicated EV charging station, which I don’t want to do)

My questions:
- Is the charging cable going to make the 240V outlet irrelevant, since cable is rated for 120V?
- Do I need to buy a different cable for use with a 240V outlet?
- if so does Mazda make this? Can’t find it anywhere

My dealer seems totally clueless. Appreciate any thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_9896.jpeg
    IMG_9896.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 43
I’ve had my PHEV for 3 months now and have finally been able to schedule an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet in my garage next week. It’s an outlet that an electric dryer or stove would use. It will be on its own dedicated circuit.

The factory 120V will no longer be needed and the cable cannot be used with a 240V outlet. You’ll have to purchase a charger to use the level 2 charging with the 240V. I purchased an Emporia charging station. It has WiFi built in, you can program it to start and stop charging, and it’ll track your charging stats.

I went this route (14-10 outlet) over hardwiring because I can unplug the unit no hassle and take it when we move next year.

I have been using the factory 120V cable and it works well enough overnight. But after running the kids to school, it will be nice to have a full charge by lunchtime so I can stay in EV mode when I step out for lunch and then charge it back up before picking them up. (I work from home.)

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention, depending what state you’re in, you might be eligible for reimbursement when installing an EV charging station.

In NC, I’ll get up to $1100 for the cost of the install and charger. There’s a form to complete, the work has to be permitted, proof that an EV is registered to your residence etc….

Upvote 0
Hi I have the dealer supplied charging cable for my CX90 PHEV and the instructions say its rating is AC 120V / 12A (see pic). I’m currently using it on a standard 120V outlet in my garage. It is slow but charges fully overnight

My electrician is recommending a dedicated 240V outlet similar to a dryer for faster charging (and safer?). (Note: This would be standard 3 prong 240v outlet not a dedicated EV charging station, which I don’t want to do)

My questions:
- Is the charging cable going to make the 240V outlet irrelevant, since cable is rated for 120V?
- Do I need to buy a different cable for use with a 240V outlet?
- if so does Mazda make this? Can’t find it anywhere

My dealer seems totally clueless. Appreciate any thoughts
1. You will need a charger that is 240v to use instead of the Mazda supplied charger. I purchased a 240v ChargePoint Home unit off Amazon and had the electrician run a 240v 50amp line and proper EV plug (not drier plug...that will work but is dangerous. Get the electrician to supply a plug that properly supports EV charging. A regular drier plug will work but is wrong and could eventually catch fire)
2. Yes, the charger comes with much thicker cable
3. No, there are lots go chargers out there but ChargePoint is among the top recommended any why I went that way. You can control the Chargepoint via iPhone as it is a smart charger.

Upvote 0
Back