How can I find out which options are on a used CX-5?

How can I found out every option a used CX-5 has on it when it's not being sold my a Mazda dealer? There are a couple of options I'm looking for in one, should I decide to buy one. Thanks.

I would suggest being more descriptive in your thread title. If you want answers that is.

Using a VIN decoder will confirm the year, make, and model of the car, as well as the trim level of the car. The trim level will give you a baseline of what features are standard, but you'll have to do some legwork by Googling the model year and the trim level. This is because standard equipment for a trim level can change from year-to-year as a manufacturer makes changes. For example, if you do a search for "2015 CX-5 vs 2016 CX-5", you'll probably find a few articles, blog posts, or forum posts that talk about the specific differences.

For accessories that are typically installed by the dealer, the only way you can tell that these are installed is by actually looking at the car. Things like roof rails, premium all weather mats, cargo nets, and block heaters likely will not show up in the VIN decoded info unless it is standard equipment for a trim level.

Using a VIN decoder will confirm the year, make, and model of the car, as well as the trim level of the car. The trim level will give you a baseline of what features are standard, but you'll have to do some legwork by Googling the model year and the trim level. This is because standard equipment for a trim level can change from year-to-year as a manufacturer makes changes. For example, if you do a search for "2015 CX-5 vs 2016 CX-5", you'll probably find a few articles, blog posts, or forum posts that talk about the specific differences.

For accessories that are typically installed by the dealer, the only way you can tell that these are installed is by actually looking at the car. Things like roof rails, premium all weather mats, cargo nets, and block heaters likely will not show up in the VIN decoded info unless it is standard equipment for a trim level.
That's kind of what I thought. But I thought I would ask any way. Thanks.

What model year CX-5 are you looking at, and what options are you specifically looking for? If you can provide that info, maybe some users can advise on what to look for to verify that the option exists.

I currently have a '14 Infiniti Q50. My wife has a QX60. Both cars have illuminated sill plates. I think it's a classy touch. Some CX-5s have them, some don't. Dealer listings from non-Mazda dealers don't give detailed lists of all options. And their photos don't show if they have them or not. I'm looking at a couple of '22 models.

Looks like on 2023 models, the illuminated sill plates are not standard equipment, which means that they're probably also not standard on any trim for 2022. You can always call the dealership to ask them to confirm (only the front sill plates are illuminated).

Even if the cars you're looking at don't have them installed, you can always go to a Mazda dealership to order them and have them installed - I would just try to negotiate about $750 off the asking price to cover the cost.

Even if the cars you're looking at don't have them installed, you can always go to a Mazda dealership to order them and have them installed - I would just try to negotiate about $750 off the asking price to cover the cost.
Good to know. Thanks.

I got a '22 Turbo (one model down from top Signature).
I believe Sig has it as standard. Not on my Turbo.
You can buy it and DIY (easy to install).
These things have become so expensive nowadays...
When I installed them on my '17 CX5, they costed me $250 (or so).
Now, one set would cost about $500.
Check mazdaswag.com.
or mazdaparts.org.
Both are genuine Mazda dealers.

When I installed them on my '17 CX5, they costed me $250 (or so).
Now, one set would cost about $500.
Yeah, I think I got mine online for around $250. They are stupid expensive even at $250 which is way less than the list price. Easy enough to install. Only the fronts are illuminated but no wiring is involved. They're button cell battery powered & there's a magnet that attaches on the bottom of the door that triggers the light for 30 seconds when the door is opened. My GTR is a 2019 & I haven't had to replace the batteries yet.

They still make me smile ever time I open the doors.

This may sound like a Captain Obvious answer, but it is what it is:
The only way to truly know is go test drive the thing. Everything else is simply conjecture.

Well, I did test driver a '22 Signature on Saturday. It did not have the illuminated sill plates. Unfortunately, the salesman I got was on his first week there. I knew more about the vehicle than he did, especially trim levels, etc. I really liked the way it drove and was comfortable. Not sure if I like the nav screen to be totally controlled by the dial and buttons. With the salesman not knowing a lot about the vehicle, I didn't bother to ask where some of the functions were to change settings, modes, etc. The power button for the radio is in an odd location. I'm still thinking on it.

Well, I did test driver a '22 Signature on Saturday. It did not have the illuminated sill plates. Unfortunately, the salesman I got was on his first week there. I knew more about the vehicle than he did, especially trim levels, etc. I really liked the way it drove and was comfortable. Not sure if I like the nav screen to be totally controlled by the dial and buttons. With the salesman not knowing a lot about the vehicle, I didn't bother to ask where some of the functions were to change settings, modes, etc. The power button for the radio is in an odd location. I'm still thinking on it.

In MY experience, it doesn't matter all that much how long the salesperson has been there, I always know more about the car than they do. It's mostly because I'm so anal and I research all my large purchase to death beforehand.

That said, the CX is a great car, and you'll love it once you get it home, mostly. lol

In MY experience, it doesn't matter all that much how long the salesperson has been there, I always know more about the car than they do. It's mostly because I'm so anal and I research all my large purchase to death beforehand.

That said, the CX is a great car, and you'll love it once you get it home, mostly. lol
I also find that most of the time I'm in a similar situation. I enjoy "playing dumb" & seeing whether the salesperson is knowledgeable or someone who tries to come off that they are & just feeding me a load of crap. I don't mind if the salesperson is at least honest that they don't have all the answers to my questions.

I also find that most of the time I'm in a similar situation. I enjoy "playing dumb" & seeing whether the salesperson is knowledgeable or someone who tries to come off that they are & just feeding me a load of crap. I don't mind if the salesperson is at least honest that they don't have all the answers to my questions.

When I was shopping for the CX I went into a local dealership for a test drive. The salesman acted like a know-it-all (he was far from it). He was showing me the features inside of the hatch and he was very proud to show me the shopping bag holders along the sides of the hatch area.

Shopping bag holders? (my VW had something of this sort in the hatch area)

I told him that those were not shopping bag holders, but he insisted that they were. I grabbed one and pulled on it, half of the back seat folded down. I pulled on the others and the rest of the seat folded down.

You can imagine the look on his face, right? :geek:

You will either like, or not like, the infotainment setup. The adjustments for the controls are also done using the center console knob. For the money, its pretty hard to beat, but of course it still isn't a premium level car. You could wait a bit and try the CX-70 as well, but it will have a similar infotainment setup. Mazda hasn't made any big changes to it in a while.

Back