Rear brake pad wear question (2019 CX-9)

:
Canada
:
19 CX9 GT
Attached is a picture of the rear brake pad and I was unsure how much life is left. When zooming in I can see two grooves that I thought show how much is left, but wasn't sure. This is a 2019 CX9 with 33,000 km. Welcome some insight, hope the picture shows enough detail.

Appreciate any feedback.

Rear mazda CX9 brake.jpg

replace them asap, you only have about 2 or 3 mm remaining
View attachment 317426
Thank you for the feedback. The fronts have lots of pad left. I did have the brakes cleaned and lubricated every year at the annual service and am surprised how quickly the rears are wearing, though I have seen other threads mentioning similar wear.

I believe adaptive cruise control engages rear brakes more than front. The CX-9 also has Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD) which may affect brake bias under certain situations.

As @e2jankow wrote, the rears wear faster because there is a rear brake bias to reduce "nose dive" while braking. My OEM rears lasted about 76000 km, but I'm sure our driving habits and commutes are different.

Depending on your wheel style, wheel size, and your phone size, you may be able to get a good idea of how worn your pads are without having to take the wheels off. Just take a picture of the calipers. They have a window that shows how much brake pad material is left. Both front and rear calipers have this window.

IMG_20201018_111738.jpg

IMG_20201018_110834.jpg

As @e2jankow wrote, the rears wear faster because there is a rear brake bias to reduce "nose dive" while braking. My OEM rears lasted about 76000 km, but I'm sure our driving habits and commutes are different.

Depending on your wheel style, wheel size, and your phone size, you may be able to get a good idea of how worn your pads are without having to take the wheels off. Just take a picture of the calipers. They have a window that shows how much brake pad material is left. Both front and rear calipers have this window.

View attachment 317428

View attachment 317429
I have 18" winters on now, clearance is tight. Thank you for the suggestion, I will take a look when taking off the winters.

I did have the brakes cleaned and lubricated every year at the annual service
Is this a recommendation from corporate Mazda Canada, or just more padding of the bill to benefit the dealership owner's Hawaii condo?

Is this a recommendation from corporate Mazda Canada, or just more padding of the bill to benefit the dealership owner's Hawaii condo?
The annual cleaning and lubrication is listed on the Mazda Canada website maintenance brochure, but isn't listed in the owner's manual. My previous Honda, Subaru and Toyota also had the same recommendation from the dealer. My understanding is that the salt and brine used in the Toronto area will seize the brakes if not cleaned up annually. Is it necessary every year, not sure. I have attached the Mazda Canada brochure.

Attachments

• 2023_mazdacx9_schmaint2023_e2.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
Back