2023 Mazda CX-50 Headliner Leak

Digbicks1234

16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-9 Touring
Hey guys,

It's been raining here in the east coast for the past two days and I discovered a leak above the rearview mirror area this morning. I brought the car to the dealership to take a look and they confirmed the leak with an exterior water test. They did mention that they're not entirely sure whether or not it's the windshield or moonroof yet as they would need to take apart the entire headliner to confirm. While they are working on my car, I was loaned the CX-50 Premium Plus and I noticed a few observations.

Items2023 CX-50 Turbo Premium2023 CX-50 Premium Plus
Engine noiseFake engine noiseNo fake engine noise
Headlight TiltThe headlights tilts when cornering on a highway or narrow road.The headlight does not tilt and follow the direction of the vehicle.
Interior Chrome Trim piecesMatte finishShiny finish
Side Mirror (Reverse)Points downwards when the car is in reverse depending on which mirror you choose (e.g. left or right).Does not point downwards when putting the car in reverse.
Seat bolsteringCenter stitching protrudes a lot/butt feels tired on long ridesCenter stitching is flush/seems more comfortable
Steering Wheel FeelFeels plush/pliable/softFeels stiff/solid
Steering Wheel ResistanceHigh resistance/requires more effort to turnLow resistance/much easier to turn
Suspension StiffnessVery stiff/bumpyMedium stiffness/more forgiving over bumps

Overall, I would say that the 2023 CX-50 Premium Plus (non-turbo) feels like the 2016 CX-5 Touring in terms of overall vehicle dynamics and the steering wheel is very easy to turn compared to the 2023 CX-50 Turbo Premium. The non-turbo steering wheel feels like it has about 10 lbs. resistance and the turbo steering wheel feels like it has 25 lbs. of resistance and requires a lot effort to turn the wheel which gets fatiguing on long trips. If you were to ask me to choose between the light steering wheel or the turbo, I would rather pick the light steering wheel since it makes driving much more pleasurable and it definitely makes reacting to situations much easier. If there's a way to modify the electronic steering wheel assist somehow, that would honestly make this car much better.

Also, for whatever reason, the CX-50 Premium Plus seems much more forgiving over bumps than the CX-50 Turbo Premium even though both are 20 inch wheels. I did not check the PSI of the CX-50 Premium Plus yet but my Turbo Premium is set to 35 psi for all tires. I am thinking that it has something to do with the overall weight of the vehicles as the Premium Plus is 3,706 pounds vs the Turbo Premium which is 3,907 pounds or maybe I am going crazy :p

Savagegeese did mention the same thing about the heavy steering wheel as well.

2023 Mazda CX-50 | Trying the RAV4 Formula

Pics of headliner leak
1665023838743.png

1665023862384.png

Last edited:
Sorry to see it leaking but excellent information and post. Thanks for sharing it with us, I’m sure others will find it very informative.

Sorry to see it leaking but excellent information and post. Thanks for sharing it with us, I’m sure others will find it very informative.
Thanks Antoine! I got my car back two days ago and they couldn't find anything wrong with my vehicle. They did say that they water tested the windshield and moonroof for about 6-8 hours and even brought the headliner/A-pillar, sun visor down but were unable to replicate my issue. Funny thing is, they did mention they saw a leak when they brought my car into the wash but after leaving it in the shop for a few more days, nothing. Guess it'll be a mystery again until the next rain storm or automatic car wash.

One thought. Long shot.
Check the roof rails if you have them.
Improper installation could result in leak.
Remove them and re-install them carefully.
There are small pieces under the rails that need to be installed correctly to avoid water leak into frame.... and who knows where afterwards.

New factory, new model, wonder what can go wrong :)
Yeah, I was aware of this prior to purchasing it but opted to try out something different. I could've went with the CX-5 again but the CX-50 seemed bigger and more spacious. We're all beta testers until the next release

One thought. Long shot.
Check the roof rails if you have them.
Improper installation could result in leak.
Remove them and re-install them carefully.
There are small pieces under the rails that need to be installed correctly to avoid water leak into frame.... and who knows where afterwards.
Interesting that you brought that up. My CX-50 turbo premium did come with roof racks preinstalled so I'll see what I can do but it's going to be tough to recreate the issue unless I'm using a pressure washer or going into a touchless car wash

The accessories were installed at port of entry. Those guys do hundreds per day again and again. You would assume that they know what they are doing... but, who knows if they are as careful in installation as you would....
Go to mazdaparts.org, find the roof rails, download the installation guides. You will see what I mean.

I'm sorry, you spend over 40k for a car and you have to mess with it. No way. My advice if it happens again take it back to the dealer and have them look at the roof rails or take it somewhere else. Your time is money.

I'm sorry, you spend over 40k for a car and you have to mess with it. No way. My advice if it happens again take it back to the dealer and have them look at the roof rails or take it somewhere else. Your time is money.

Absolutely. But this is where these suggestions are coming from. A DIY fix may be a lot quicker than, for example:

- Driving to the dealership for a scheduled appointment next week
- Sitting in the dealership and waiting for an hour while they troubleshoot and confirm the issue
- They order the replacement parts which may not be there until the following week, when you'll have to come back in and wait another hour to replace those parts.

I am really curious about the difference you found in ride comfort. I find my Turbo Premium Plus to be unacceptable from a ride comfort standpoint. It is surprising that the non-turbo would be any different.

I am really curious about the difference you found in ride comfort. I find my Turbo Premium Plus to be unacceptable from a ride comfort standpoint. It is surprising that the non-turbo would be any different.
It's been a while but I don't recall how the CX-50 Premium Plus feel anymore but my last vivid memory of driving the vehicle was that it wasn't as stiff over bumpy roads and I think it could be the way that the suspension is tuned. You could probably do a test drive if you have a dealership near you to compare the two vehicles side-by-side but as the CX-50 is geared more towards supposedly off-road usage, it's supposed to be a more stiff vehicle overall and may be something that you may have to get used to or just trade in the vehicle for something more compliant due to the suspension stiffness as I doubt it would get better over time due to the torsion beam setup/20 inch wheels.

Actually, I think you traded in your CX-50 for a Lexus RX-350/450 from what I last recall when we discussed so never mind :p

It's been a while but I don't recall how the CX-50 Premium Plus feel anymore but my last vivid memory of driving the vehicle was that it wasn't as stiff over bumpy roads and I think it could be the way that the suspension is tuned. You could probably do a test drive if you have a dealership near you to compare the two vehicles side-by-side but as the CX-50 is geared more towards supposedly off-road usage, it's supposed to be a more stiff vehicle overall and may be something that you may have to get used to or just trade in the vehicle for something more compliant due to the suspension stiffness as I doubt it would get better over time due to the torsion beam setup/20 inch wheels.

Actually, I think you traded in your CX-50 for a Lexus RX-350/450 from what I last recall when we discussed so never mind :p
You are correct! I sold my CX-50 to Carvana and went a completely different direction to an RX-350L. It is a very different car than the CX-50, so I won't compare the two. I will say the RX is a better fit for me than the CX-50 was.

On another note, off-road tuned suspension should not at all be stiff. Off-road trucks may not be super comfortable, but that is usually due to tires and body-on-frame design, not suspension. Off-road suspension should be rather soft so that it has as much articulation as possible. This is why many Outback Wilderness owners see a more comfortable ride than other Outback owners, for example. The CX-50 being off-road focused but having 20" wheels and a stiff suspension is one of the reasons I call it unfocused.

Back