Child seat on the front seat

:
Mazda cx-9 2008
Hello. Is it safe to carry a child in the front passenger seat? The son weighs 18 kg. Cx9 has no airbag deactivation. I plant my son and I don't know if the pillow is going to deactivate? No pillow shines with information about its being turned off. Apparently there should be an icon on the display above the radio. How is it. Will you help?

I think the front passenger seat is the least safe position for a child to be in. I would instead put the car seat in the 3rd row and store any cargo in the front passenger seat area if possible. Otherwise I would be looking at other options for travel (like a taxi van or similar).

There are airbag activation symbols exactly where you said. They are above the temperature controls, not the radio. They look different depending on the model year, but this symbol should light up when the airbag is off.

But as smike mentionned, i wouldn’t have a child in the front seat unless it is an absolute necessity.

1660937538604.png

Apologies what i sent was for a 2016 and up. Here is the owner manual pages for a 2009.

You are correct the light symbol is above the radio to the right. If it is not illuminated then the airbag is active.

Note that the manual’s previous page advice AGAINST installing a child seat in the front. Also the front seat does not have a tether anchor.

1660946713195.png

Yes, it's very dangerous, risky and potentially illegal.

Unless you live in Canada, Europe, another country, etc.
Which may have different rules/laws. Check your country and locality for your laws.

Alot of states in The US require children to be in the rear seating area. Check you state law for sure.

Not only are you putting your child at extreme risk of injury/death(due to airbag deployment) versus other serious injury/death (without airbag) such as whiplash, concussion, etc.), you could be fined or jailed (depending on the totality of circumstances, f.i.
Even without a state law prohibiting child in front seat, you could still be charged with involuntarty manslaughter, reckless endangerment, etc. during a disabling or fatal car crash, etc.)
While too many cases to list, there was one where the mother was charged with homicide for failing to properly tether the baby seat to the back seat.

My only question is
why would you want to put your young child in the front seat ?

Also, what if you supposedly disable the airbag but it deploys anyways because of malfunction?

Theres a reason that most child seats should be backward faced in the rear seat to begin with(including less chance of whiplash, concussion, brain damage)

Last edited:
Back