Attempted to add trip computer functions to 2012 Mazda5 Sport 6MT

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
No go.

I already had the leather steering wheel with the extra buttons and the upgraded stereo with the 6-disc changer installed in my car. Talking to some techs at the dealership, they said that this function was most likely controlled by the BCM (body control module) located under the glovebox and that it should work with the correct wheel and BCM. I grabbed a BCM from a wrecked GT found at a local junkyard and hoped that it would enable this function. It did not.

It's not like I need the limited capabilities given by the factory trip computer, but it would have been nice to have the OEM solution. I already have a device plugged into the OBDII port that gives me a bit of data (I like actually being able to see coolant temps and voltage as I drive), and I can get more data with an app on my phone or a ScanGauge. Oh well...

(I like actually being able to see coolant temps and voltage as I drive)
Sucks you couldn't get it going.

As far as gauges go, I put a Kenwood DDX8706S stereo with an iDataLink Maestro RR interface module in our 2012. That gives us gauges right on the face of the radio, including water temp and voltage! The only thing I wanted that it doesn't display is oil pressure. I definitely would have liked to see that.

With my setup, I get all of the trip functions like MPG and distance to empty right on the radio.

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_141757909.jpg
    IMG_20220608_141757909.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 125
Sucks you couldn't get it going.

As far as gauges go, I put a Kenwood DDX8706S stereo with an iDataLink Maestro RR interface module in our 2012. That gives us gauges right on the face of the radio, including water temp and voltage! The only thing I wanted that it doesn't display is oil pressure. I definitely would have liked to see that.
i've used a bluetooth OBDII transmitter with torque running on a spare phone that i have tacked up to the windshield. it's great in the fact that i can monitor all the usual items as well as swap the setup between all the vehicles.

So with your help we ruled out the steering wheel controls and the BCM. What's left? I think we need to try the ECM and the headunit.

Back