How to remove or modify part of center console near right leg

Darwin1858

:
Cx5 gt
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help with my leg discomfort issue in my new 2016 gt cx5. I love everything about the car except for the fact that as a tall driver, the center console hits my leg in a way that makes it very uncomfortable regardless of how I adjust the seat. I'm referring to the leather trimmed portion adjacent to the right leg of the driver. Is there a way to remove that without causing damage to the vehicle? Any suggestions or instructions would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 581
Wow, I see what you are talking about. The Console is nothing like that on earlier CX-5s I would go to your dealer and ask to see and take pictures of that part of his shop manual.

Here is instructions for the older ones.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817865-Removing-the-Center-Console. Note the difference between the first picture and your car.

If I was in your place (and I could be, I am 6'5") I would remove the whole console and see if that part can be removed. If not store the console until you sell, and or buy one from a wrecked 14 or 15.

When you are our size you do what you need to do.

Thanks for the suggestions fdew. I didn't realize the earlier models have a different console. I'm guessing you're right about checking with the dealer. It amazes me I didn't notice it on the several test drives I took before purchasing it in May. But it is now something that I can't seem to NOT notice each time I drive for more than 20 minutes or so. I'm 6'2" so I would imagine it might be worse for you at 6'5". Thank you again...

I'm only 5'10", but for me the buttress on my 2013 console is perfect for bracing my right leg when cornering. Ya' win some, ya' lose some I guess!

I hear you. There seems to be a significant difference though with the 2016 console. My friend has the 2013 and it seems to allow more room on the right side. If I could just remove that one piece I think it would make a huge difference. But it looks like it may be molded as a solid piece with the console housing. If anyone knows that not to be the case, I'd love to hear from you!

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help with my leg discomfort issue in my new 2016 gt cx5. I love everything about the car except for the fact that as a tall driver, the center console hits my leg in a way that makes it very uncomfortable regardless of how I adjust the seat. I'm referring to the leather trimmed portion adjacent to the right leg of the driver. Is there a way to remove that without causing damage to the vehicle? Any suggestions or instructions would be highly appreciated.

I have the same problem you do, let me know if you figure it out

Comparison photos: later model does appear to be a bit more bulky...........

Attachments

• 2013.jpg
    2013.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 400
  • 2016.jpg
    2016.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 406
Exactly. It might not look like much, but it really cuts down on leg movement. In fact,it's tilted slightly toward the driver so you lose an additional inch too. Thanks for providing the comparison paris1.

Stopping by the dealership today to ask if it can be modified/removed. Will send an update afterward.

I would be VERY surprised if they will modify it. dealers don't tend to do custom work. The back up question is will they provide you with info on how to remove it or modify it.

Good point fddew. I did stop in to the local dealer and the service guy was very friendly. Removed the kick plate on the side and took a look. He said that he couldn't remove it without leaving a lot of the electrical components exposed. He said he wouldn't recommend it obviously. So...I am at a loss for a fix at this point. I may have to go with knee pad idea which seems ridiculous on a new car,but other than selling it I don't have a better idea. If anyone comes up with anything else I'd love to hear it.

what you are asking is not hard, it is just outside of what shops normally do. Dealer and repair shop personal come to work every day in order to return cars to the state they were in when new. It is what they do. It is how they think. You are asking them to hurt the car.

As a 6ft 6in guy who loves cars I decided a long time ago that I must modify cars to make them fit me. Sometimes I modify them with an eye to being able to restore them to original, other times I just modify them. My last car, a Audi Allroad, required removing the seat, removing the upholstery, cutting and grinding some of the seat pan away and welding in a new shaped plate. I did it, and was happy with the result. Later when the car was older I bought a used seat and put it in the basement until I sold the car.

If you like everything else about the car I would remove the console and figure out what to do. Wires can be tie wrapped rerouted, extended ETC. Things can be modified. A new console could be made from wood or plastic or a number of other materials. In a few years you could buy a used replacement to put in the car when you sell it.

If it were me, (And I like my 14 so well, it may be me in a few years.) I would remove the console and carefully set aside all the one knob control stuff ETC Tie wrap the pieces to something ETC. Then I would drive the car for a week. If I liked it a lot better I would ask my self. Can I live with out the center controls and put in a console out of a 13 - 15? Can I take a console out of a 13-15 and carefully cut and put the extra controls in it? Can I take out the console, CUT out the offending part, cover what is left with foam and leather like fabric and RTV? Drive, enjoy, and try not to look at it. Can I cut out what I don't like, and take what is left to a custom shop and have them make it nice again.

It is not a engine, or even a air bag, it is just the center console If you take it out and mess with it no one will be hurt.

If you don't want to do the work yourself there are two other routes. One is to find a local business that modifies vehicles for handicapped use. Unlike the dealer, they are accustomed to taking a perfectly good car and making it different. The second route is to attend a custom car show. Talk to the kids that lower them, chop the tops, install custom interiors ETC. At the show you can see there work and find one that will do it for money. Years ago I read about a movie company that wanted a car to break in half and the front half keep driving. No professional would do it. They found some kids showing off low riders, and hired them. It worked.

It's your car. If you like it, start cutting.

Check this out. What you want is NOTHING
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Custom+Auto+Consoles&FORM=IRBPRS

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/ryanknowsall/console2.jpg

BTW years ago at a local track I saw a guy about 7 ft racing a Volvo sedan. I wanted to see how a person that size fit in the car well enough to race it. As I approached his car I saw a sign in the lower rt corner of the drivers window. It read "Next Window please." Sure enough. He had removed the front and rear seat, and repositioned the front seat almost where the rear should be. He also had a thick spacer moving the steering wheel back. The rest of the interior was stock including a stock passenger seat.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=vehicle+custom+console&FORM=AWIR

That was a lot of incredibly helpful information fdew. I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time and energy to make these suggestions. I think I will take a look at trying to remove the console myself up to the point where I feel comfortable and see how much I can accomplish. If it looks like it's beyond me,I'll see if I can find one of the resources you mentioned above. I'm new to the forums, and i don't know if you'd be willing,but is there some way to contact you for more information directly on here? Or to send you a few pics as I go along?

Regardless,you've given me some great advice and some much needed encouragements. Thank you again!

Back