CX-5 Sport and Touring AC Knob Replacement

The first knob actually has a white led while the middle and right one are actually orange. The far left one just looks red because of the hue of plastic. I imagine the reason it's different Is because it needs the white light to shine threw the temperature games that are blue and red.

P. S I think the reason my first batch of photos look different is because they were taken during the day. My more recent one were taken at night in the dark. Tomorrow I'm going to play around with adding a green Jel behind the knob to see if I can turn the red into orange.

Undergrad I need to find those switches you have for your heated seats. I want to add them aftermarket, but I want the switches to look stock.

I'm guessing they are for the Canadian market only.

This is how mine look: dial.jpg What more can I say?

OK, I see that, but when I'm driving the car at night I'm certainly not aware of it. So I guess it's close enuf for me.

Just found this thread and ordered a set instantly. Can't wait to change those.

Yea, I've jumped on the knob band wagon too.

-yes remove the clear tabs inside the new knobs
-file/sand one of them lower, for the Temp knob
-Paint or find black trim tape to mark a line for day time
-my center one sits lower than the rest so I put an oring around the factory shaft, act like a stop, now all 3 knob are about the same depth.

Yea, I've jumped on the knob band wagon too.

-yes remove the clear tabs inside the new knobs
-file/sand one of them lower, for the Temp knob
-Paint or find black trim tape to mark a line for day time
-my center one sits lower than the rest so I put an oring around the factory shaft, act like a stop, now all 3 knob are about the same depth.
Interesting. If you hadn't removed the 'tabs' for the middle one, would that have made it sit even?

Interesting. If you hadn't removed the 'tabs' for the middle one, would that have made it sit even?
You have to remove the tabs or the knob will not fit over the dash control shaft. I experienced nothing like what pt00323i describes. In fact, if done right, the back circumference of all 3 knobs comes to rest and is "captured" by the dashboard bezel and all three should be on the same plane.

You have to remove the tabs or the knob will not fit over the dash control shaft. I experienced nothing like what pt00323i describes. In fact, if done right, the back circumference of all 3 knobs comes to rest and is "captured" by the dashboard bezel and all three should be on the same plane.

Same here.

I have to admit, when I saw the subject of this thread I thought "Who would care about the HVAC control knobs?" But looking at the ebay listing items, these probably would be an improvement over the stock items. .
I thought the same thing, now I jumped on the bandwagon and placed an order

maybe I didn't push hard enough, or the tabs not completely broken, I'll check it again tomorrow.

correct guys: sorry my bad

one tab was not completely off, and after that all will fit evenly. so ignore my previous post.

good $18 bucks investment.

Last edited:
maybe I didn't push hard enough, or the tabs not completely broken, I'll check it again tomorrow.
I suspect what you didn't do is cut back the stops on the sides of the white dash control shafts. Because I did both the clear tabs and the stops, I never knew if I overkilled and could have gotten away with just removing the clear knob tabs. I think your experience may indicate that both are necessary.

Did finish my install.

It looks very good for $18 total. The back light on temperature knob is different a little due to it having different plastic color behind it. It is not the knob but translucent plastic background in CX-5 assembly.

I am going to try dabbing a small dot of black plastic glue to make an indicator mark.

Will get another set for wife's car now...

Bummer. Just got mine, prepped them as per paris1's post (#30); even painted black dots for easy spotting the pointer mark in daylight. When I tried to put them on though, they would not fit right. They appear to be 90 degree offset. For example, when the fan is set to 0 the knob will point between 3 and 4, when set to 1 it will point beyond 4, etc. All 3 of them are like that. Did I get faulty ones or am I missing something?

IMG_20140520_212857.jpgIMG_20140520_215125.jpg

Back