rear seats headrests obstructing view

This is exactly what I was going to say. Anything that is blocked by the headrests will easily show up in the side mirrors if they are properly adjusted. I checked it out on the way in this morning to confirm, since the headrests have never been something I noticed to be an issue before.

Agreed, a non-issue after 17K miles and over 1 year of driving the CX-5 rear seats in up position. Therefore I will retain US-spec rear headrests because I do want to have my passengers protected from serious whiplash injuries.

I actually didn't notice them, but I took them out anyway. I rarely have anyone in the back of my car and I'm always putting the seats down for the bikes or dogs or whatever. They just got in the way. And, I love the blind spot monitoring. I don't find the car too difficult (my wife has a Nissan Altima Coup and I can't see a thing out of that car!), but the BSM is still really cool.

Went today and they said that the leather was spray glued to the foam and basically it would cost about $400 to do it, sooooooooo off to the storage bin in my trunk they go. Lol

Just as an FYI - both of them will fit perfectly within the spare tire rim under the rear deck.

For me, its more of a seeign behind me while driving on the highways in NY.

That's what I'm saying. The headrests aren't blocking anything directly behind you. Whatever gets covered by those show up in the side mirrors. Try it in traffic next time.

I'm a big fan of seeing more rather than less out of a car whichever direction I'm looking. Cars are bad enough with their small windows for styling purposes so it would be nice to have the headrests slide down and more out of the way. Between mirrors, camera and windows there are a lot of things to look at when backing up or changing lanes so more chances to see that motorcycle or small child the better. As mentioned they are a safety item so I'd be worried about altering them and ending up with an injured passenger. But it would still be nice if Mazda updated the function on them as it would be a win win. Those that want less between them and the outside view would have it and those that don't care wouldn't notice.
It is another one of those things that is opinion and will vary from driver to driver. I think technically you could turn the car into a cargo van and remove the inside rear view mirror and still see everything from the various sources so there is always more or less visibility available.

After test driving the CX-5 and the 6, I had my measuring tape to check the fit of the kid seats. I ended up measuring the pitch distance between the headrest posts of both cars and the were nearly identical. If the headrest post length from the 6 is adequate you could buy and install those instead.

After test driving the CX-5 and the 6, I had my measuring tape to check the fit of the kid seats. I ended up measuring the pitch distance between the headrest posts of both cars and the were nearly identical. If the headrest post length from the 6 is adequate you could buy and install those instead.

I'm gonna look into them tomorrow. thanks. I'm wondering now if they have the red stiching also???

I just measured the post pitch distance: 120mm. Post length is 155mm. Black sticking on the headrest (although my seats do have the red stitching they did not continue this on the headrests)

Attachments

• Mazda-CX-5-2012-Interior-4.jpg
    Mazda-CX-5-2012-Interior-4.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Back