What have you done to your Miata today?

Yup, its not like he would actually take pics of him at the autocross.

Kind of hard to take pictures while driving!

It isn't the best exposure, but here is a picture after I raised her up some.

Attachments

• 001c.jpg
    001c.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 107
Went to pull apart and got a dual horn off of an 08 Dodge Ram...MUCH LOUDER...sounds great...also picked up a few Mazda shift knobs to store in the glove box...

No video this time, looking at getting a GoPro camera next time home.

Installed my Hella Supertones and replaced the passenger side foglight. Tested it only to find the driver's side foglight isn't working, I'll have to check the bulb when I get a chance. Also found out why the driver's side headlight doesn't sit quite right with the bumper, it is missing a plastic piece that the tab on the bottom of the light slides into. That's on my list of things to get.

Went to pull apart and got a dual horn off of an 08 Dodge Ram...MUCH LOUDER...sounds great...also picked up a few Mazda shift knobs to store in the glove box...

i'm debating boat airhorns or a pull and pay set of horns off a pickup or bigger car

Italian style Air Horns. My dad swiped the ones off of his Maserati Biturbo and put them on his Boxster.

yep... it's called a whole lot of awesome. When we went to VIR last time, I went top down all night. I couldn't hear from my right ear when we got to the track.

Italian style Air Horns. My dad swiped the ones off of his Maserati Biturbo and put them on his Boxster.

thats what i have on my car...Fiaam airhorns same company that at least used to make the horns for ferrari not sure about now.

What I did today...

Attachments

• ax1.jpg
    ax1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 105
Disassembled the rest of the suspension, installed the bump stops and put everything back together again. Once again, I remember exactly why I love working on this car. Gawd it was almost too easy :D. Sure, some stuff's a bit cramped, like the driver's side rear shock for example, what with the fuel filler hoses and now the roll bar down bar as well. But everything else? Not a problem. The rears are 2 nuts and a bolt for crap's sake to get them out. Driver's side is almost as easy. Only extra steps are the nut on the shock bottom bolt, and 1 nut / bolt to disconnect the sway bar.

Then I helped my buddy do a pad / rotor change on his Subaru Legacy. Talk about nearly complete opposites in terms of ease of work...

Also lost a little more weight on the car by pulling a couple of surprisingly heavy brackets and some hose for the charcoal canister that no longer exists. It literally loses a bit more weight every time I work on it. Add up enough ounces and you start shaving off pounds :)

Broke off of a bleeder screw, then a tap extractor in the broken screw. Need a new caliper or a great way to get the screw out. Suggestions for a parts source or ways to get a broken screw and extractor out?

Broke off of a bleeder screw, then a tap extractor in the broken screw. Need a new caliper or a great way to get the screw out. Suggestions for a parts source or ways to get a broken screw and extractor out?

Sorry to tell you this, but you are basically screwed. Extractors are made of tool steel which is nigh-on impossible to drill out (I have a lot of experience with trying). If there is enough of it sticking out, you can try grabbing it with a pair of needlenose pliers and turning it clockwise to get it out. You can also try taking the caliper to a machine shop to see if they can get the broken pieces out.

Sorry to tell you this, but you are basically screwed. Extractors are made of tool steel which is nigh-on impossible to drill out (I have a lot of experience with trying). If there is enough of it sticking out, you can try grabbing it with a pair of needlenose pliers and turning it clockwise to get it out. You can also try taking the caliper to a machine shop to see if they can get the broken pieces out.

That's your best bet (very small needle nose pliers between the flutes)

As far as a new caliper, local-ish to me and that I have prior (good) dealings with, try these:

The Parts Group (near Birmingham, AL):
http://www.partsgroup.com/

Panic Motorsports (West Columbia, SC):
http://www.panicmotorsports.com/

Fortunately, besides the bleeding which is a pain, the swap is dead easy.

Back