Lowcost DIY Cargo Mat for CX-9

NWCX9

:
2008 Mazda CX9 AWD Touring
Ok, OK.....I like many other CX9 owners wanted a nice cargo mat for my rig; however, I was having a really hard time spending the clams to buy a nice fitting one that would do a decent job of protecting the carpet in the cargo area.

So being the engineer that I am I decided to make my own. I found all kinds of raw material out there on the web but it was sort of expensive (between $50~$80 just for the mat). Then you had to pay shipping, etc. So I found these nice, heavy duty indoor outdoor mats for sale at Home Depot (any major lumber/build supply place should have) that are 3x5, carpeted on one side with heavy rubber backing. They run only $18 and I purchased two.

Then I cut one to fit and spliced the fwd piece buy cutting the second mat out. I used heavy duty industrial duct tape (aerospace grade of course) and some gasket cement (used for car door seals) that bonds rubber or mixed material types well. I had enough material from mat #2 to make another small mat for when the third row is up (a mini-me mat).

Note that I also cut relief cuts in the mat to allow the rear seat belts to pass through the mat without "poochin" it up and preventing it from sitting flat.

There you have it. Home made for a cost of $32 and I get two types of mats I can use with seats down and with them up.

Pretty cool huh? (2thumbs)

Attachments

• IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 2,814
  • IMG_4106.JPG
    IMG_4106.JPG
    544.8 KB · Views: 1,840
  • IMG_4107.JPG
    IMG_4107.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 2,261
  • IMG_4108.JPG
    IMG_4108.JPG
    368.1 KB · Views: 1,662
  • IMG_4109.JPG
    IMG_4109.JPG
    593 KB · Views: 1,468
Last edited:
thanks for this DIY!! i too made a cargo mat but i didnt use the mats you used. i saw them on the rack but walked more down the isle and saw a roll of black indoor outdoor mat. made a big stencil of the cargo area and then cut it on the mat. one big piece and its a perfect match to the interior. even made a small one for when the 3rd row is up. THANKS AGAIN....and it cost me 25 bucks

this is at home depot. Lancer Outdoor Marine Carpet Dayside Black. its in the carpet section on a big spool. its a perfect match with my black interior. and cost .75 cents sq.ft. it shouldnt cost you more than 25 bucks. and will make two mats 1 big and 1 small. ill post pics

this is at home depot. Lancer Outdoor Marine Carpet Dayside Black. its in the carpet section on a big spool. its a perfect match with my black interior. and cost .75 cents sq.ft. it shouldnt cost you more than 25 bucks. and will make two mats 1 big and 1 small. ill post pics

Can you post your pic's yet?

thx,
tstex

Love it! Looks great! I assume it folds up fine for third seat use?

Yes indeed! Very flexible. In fact I have enough material to make a second one that would fit with just the thrid row is in use. Just swap mats and away you go, or fold and go on the run!

so did you just measure everything out with a tape measure and cut it to fit, or create some sort of stencil?

Got the same type of rug at home depot, but it was 6x8, without the thick rubber backing. Measured out the general dimensions and then trimmed it to get in the corner spaces, and I think it turned out really well, the rug only cost me $15 and I have enough to make a second mat. The back of the rug seems to grip onto the surface of the trunk really well, so it is light because there is no rubber backing, but it does not slide around at all. 2 mats for $15 beats $100 any day IMO. I think it only took me about 20 minutes to make, but now I have a "master", so another one would take me 5 minutes ones this one gets nasty.

Love the idea and creative engineering, but I went with the Weathertech Cargo Liner, which has been nothing short of brilliant IMHO here in CO where all the trips to the mountain or just putting the wet, muddy dog in the back means my car stays nice and clean. If I was still living in SoCal as I was a year ago, I would have gone for an idea like in a heart beat!

Back