Cold Air Intake or Short Ram?

i've seen a lot of proteges with short rams, rather than with cold air intakes..i wanted a cold air but i'm not finding many for proteges..where can i find a nicely priced short ram or cold air for my 2001 Protege es 2.0L :

Go for the long cold air intake, I could swear it really improves throttle response, and I ran a short intake at first, the heat from the motor wont let the gas combust as good as cold air.

i would go cold air... i have a sri at the moment and in hot weather or once the car is warmed up the throttle just doesnt feel as responsive.

probs a stupid question, but still a good debate. I live in Colorado, where its pretty damn cold most the year. Should i still invest in a cai or just save some money and go for short ram?

I say build a FWI (fender well intake) this costs about 35-40 bucks if you want it to look pretty just wrap it. (it's all ripped apart because i was clearing the headlights.

headlightclear002.jpg

headlightclear.jpg

probs a stupid question, but still a good debate. I live in Colorado, where its pretty damn cold most the year. Should i still invest in a cai or just save some money and go for short ram?

(Up to a point) The colder the intake air, the power your engine will generate, so no matter where you live, a true CAI will add horsepower.

(Up to a point) The colder the intake air, the power your engine will generate, so no matter where you live, a true CAI will add horsepower.

Thats what i was thinking, because close to the engine the air could still be rather hot. I'm already losing power due to lower pressure, then gravity, so the more the better

The folks at modasports.com are currently blowing out blue AEM short ram intakes for 99-00 Proteges for $60. Not sure if they have the same deal available for older Proteges, but that's a hell of a deal from one of the best auto performance shops in the bay area. Give them a call and see if they can help you out!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/1284014899.html

Oh, BTW, I just checked...they DO have them available for the 01-03's at $149. Still a heck of a deal!

http://www.modacar.com/new/products..._Prot_g_5_2_0L_A_T_BLUE_TUBE-15583-21555.html

Good luck!

A short ram is okay if it's properly shielded. I used to run one and when I started adding heat shielding, the car felt less boggy in hot traffic. Just don't have shielding on my current set-up because I'm too lazy to fab something up. Tried a hybrid shorty with a shield box and a cold-air tube extending near to the ground, but the flow characteristics didn't work out... too much undercar turbulence for any appreciable gain at higher rpms.

Still thinking of experimenting, but I don't have time.

Hey niky, what kind of heat shielding do you mean? Please explain the process to us noobs.

Aluminum sheeting or some other heat-reflective metal... just block off the heat radiating off the engine and keep the hot air coming from the radiator fans from hitting your cone filter. In other words, isolate your filter from the hot crap in the engine bay. Had a cheap one, before... a... (whispers)...Simota heat-shield, which I placed in front of my K&N head. i don't know if it was just the shield effect, or if the shield blocked turbulent, hot air from the radiator fan, but it had an immediate and discernable effect.

Don't have it anymore, my new cone is too big... but I'm planning on making a new heat shield with simple, scissors-cutable aluminum sometime in the near future.

i've seen a lot of proteges with short rams, rather than with cold air intakes..i wanted a cold air but i'm not finding many for proteges..where can i find a nicely priced short ram or cold air for my 2001 Protege es 2.0L :

I have one Carbon Fiber 2.0L SRI left in stock and I'll give you a killer deal on it.
Here's a pic. Hand-formed Carbon Fiber. It's bigger than it looks BTW.
And sorry for being a vendor-*****...

Attachments

• 20LCF.jpg
    20LCF.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 148
Back