Changing my setup...few questions

mp3-79bronco

:
2001 protege mp3
hey guys im going for a shorter cold pipe setup...
first question is will the maf be fine hooked into a 90 into the throttle body? or is it too close?

also i need to relocate that ac dryer to make a hole for the pipe...can i just bend it up horizontally?

The MAF right before the throttle body will be fine. I had it setup very close to the TB on my P5 and never had any problems, but I did use a small piece of straight pipe between the TB coupler and MAF.. just to space things out a little bit.

As for the dryer, you can really bend it just about any way you want as long as you don't make any crazy kinks in the lines. Most of us with the Turbolife FMIC kit have had to deal with that, and the easiest way to do it is to drop the dryer as low as it will go in its bracket, and GENTLY bend the lines out of the way.

Attachments

• user34_pic74_1219367578.jpg
    user34_pic74_1219367578.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 700
It sounds like KrayzieFox has had OK expereience with the MAF being so close. Not to see he's wrong BUT, there is a high possibility that when the butterfly plate inside the throttle body slams shut, it COULD produce turbulence and send air backwards and produce a weird signal to the MAF. Pure speculation though. Try it and let us know !

hmm i guess i could space it out some more just to be on the safe side.... i was just wanting one less coupler... and ya im off tomorrow so im gonna work on the car some

When I relocated my MAF I did a ton of research on that exact same thing and the results were pretty even. With that said I didn't want to risk messing up such an expensive part so I just errored on the side of safety and put in front of my Battery just after the pipe comes up from the hole in the fender. I'm running a MAM FMIC set-up

I wasn't boosting, but I ran my MAF right out of the TB, no problems noted for me...

(ebay CAI converted to a SRI)

Back