racing with your mazdaspeed3

lutexas

:
MAZDASPEED 3
a month ago I participated in an autcorss event with my mazdaspeed3

This is a national championship and they have events in many states.
the link: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=57

Date Event Venue
3/28/2009 2009 El Toro California ProSolo El Toro Airfield
4/25/2009 2009 Wendover Utah ProSolo Wendover Airport
5/2/2009 2009 Lincoln Nebraska ProSolo Lincoln Airpark
6/6/2009 2009 Blytheville Arkansas ProSolo Arkansas Aeroplex
6/20/2009 2009 Washington DC ProSolo Fed Ex Field
7/18/2009 2009 Packwood Washington ProSolo Hampton Mills
7/25/2009 2009 Toledo Ohio ProSolo Toledo Express Airport
9/5/2009 2009 ProSolo Finale Lincoln Airpark

If you would to compete against other speed3 and see who is the fastes in this type of events you just need to become member of SCCA ($75) and sign up for the next event in class STU ($95)

lutexas@hotmail.com

Attachments

• 20090328_599.jpg
    20090328_599.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 20090328_608.jpg
    20090328_608.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 20090328_611.jpg
    20090328_611.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 20090328_610.jpg
    20090328_610.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 189
i've been thinking about doing this... i think the speed3 is probably really good for auto-x... really really good for a FWD car.

i'm working on the sprite i have now for a rotary engine... i plan to do a streetable car, but really want to have it set up to run SCCA solo events, maybe a bit more as i complete more upgrades to it down the road.

now if i could only get these two house projects finished.. damn rain!

I love autocrossing my MS3. I usually go out once a month. I'd love to compete more and move back to road racing but my work schedule doesn't allow it.

I love autocrossing my MS3. I usually go out once a month. I'd love to compete more and move back to road racing but my work schedule doesn't allow it.
stay south
we don't care for your fancy store bought numbers around here(silly)

i've been thinking about doing this... i think the speed3 is probably really good for auto-x... really really good for a FWD car.

i'm working on the sprite i have now for a rotary engine... i plan to do a streetable car, but really want to have it set up to run SCCA solo events, maybe a bit more as i complete more upgrades to it down the road.

now if i could only get these two house projects finished.. damn rain!

While autocrossing the MS3 is fun, it's pretty tough to be really competitive in the classes that the platform dictates. The only class where it really even stands a chance in my opinion is the stock classes. Street Touring is pretty much dominated by the STi and the new 135i (at least where I run).

My suggestion is just to mod your car however you want, and then just compete in whatever MS3 class your car falls into. It'll be more enjoyable that way than it will be to try and build the car to compete, especially if you're just getting started in autocross.

i belong to PCA. my friends and i have agreed to "our other cars" AX. i will be participating with a GTI and two WRX's. fun stuff. best day spent costing $30.

In the ProSolo event the mazdaspeed3 is in clas STU (Street Touring Ultimate) that have cars with more than 2.0 liter engines and street tires.
In this class are also STis and evolutions and most of them are prepared for these events (100 octane gas, max performance tires but still street legal) and the drivers use their car just for racing.

Stock class is full of Honda RSX and civics (the old models) with Hoosier racing tires (no tread) and sport suspension. You will need to keep the stock air intake and rims (or have them replaced with the same size of rims).

I think the idea of competing in these events is to enjoy driving your car as hard as you can in a safe an controlled environment without worring about cops or road hazards. And you get your time recorder so you can see your improvements over time and compare your time with other speed3 in the US.

And is a looot of FUN.

i belong to PCA. my friends and i have agreed to "our other cars" AX. i will be participating with a GTI and two WRX's. fun stuff. best day spent costing $30.

Members pay 20 with the suncoast chapter, course Zephyhills has total crap pavment.

Corollas run in the "other" class as well(drinks)

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 129
That's My Ride

a month ago I participated in an autcorss event with my mazdaspeed3

This is a national championship and they have events in many states.
the link: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=57

Date Event Venue
3/28/2009 2009 El Toro California ProSolo El Toro Airfield
4/25/2009 2009 Wendover Utah ProSolo Wendover Airport
5/2/2009 2009 Lincoln Nebraska ProSolo Lincoln Airpark
6/6/2009 2009 Blytheville Arkansas ProSolo Arkansas Aeroplex
6/20/2009 2009 Washington DC ProSolo Fed Ex Field
7/18/2009 2009 Packwood Washington ProSolo Hampton Mills
7/25/2009 2009 Toledo Ohio ProSolo Toledo Express Airport
9/5/2009 2009 ProSolo Finale Lincoln Airpark

If you would to compete against other speed3 and see who is the fastes in this type of events you just need to become member of SCCA ($75) and sign up for the next event in class STU ($95)

lutexas@hotmail.com

That's my CBM Speed 3 in those photos! That was such a fun event! By the way, I need to respond to your note about the shifter... yes, I'll help you install.

The Speed 3 could be competitive with a full suspension and power packages, but it would make it hard to be a daily driver. I say go out, roast some tires, have some fun!

In the ProSolo event the mazdaspeed3 is in clas STU (Street Touring Ultimate) that have cars with more than 2.0 liter engines and street tires.
In this class are also STis and evolutions and most of them are prepared for these events (100 octane gas, max performance tires but still street legal) and the drivers use their car just for racing.

Stock class is full of Honda RSX and civics (the old models) with Hoosier racing tires (no tread) and sport suspension. You will need to keep the stock air intake and rims (or have them replaced with the same size of rims).

I think the idea of competing in these events is to enjoy driving your car as hard as you can in a safe an controlled environment without worring about cops or road hazards. And you get your time recorder so you can see your improvements over time and compare your time with other speed3 in the US.

And is a looot of FUN.

I think you meant "Street Touring Ultra"... yes it's a lot of relatively cheap fun and a good way to get to know your car better.
Street Touring Started in 1997, this is one of the more popular categories which include Street Touring (ST), Street Touring Sport (STS), Street Touring Xtra (STX), and Street Touring Ultra (STU). This is the only category that does not allow competition R-compound tires only high performance tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 140 or higher.
STU is for sedans/coupes with four seats and normally aspirated engines of any displacement normally aspirated or turbo/supercharged engines up to 3.1L. ST and STX allowances no wheel restrictions.
Tires for 2WD cars up to 285 mm wide (245 for AWD)
Example of included cars: Audi S4, BMW M3 (E36), Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge SRT-4, Ford Mustang, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Pontiac Firebird / Trans Am and GTO, Subaru Impreza WRX STi, Volvo S60 R, Toyota Supra
Excluded cars: BMW M3 (E46) and M5 (E39)
Refer to the SCCA National Solo Rules for full details and specifications on the Street Touring allowances. ;)

Last edited:
Back