DVD Headrest system

Portable or Permanent install

Not yet, but I'm debating which one to go with. Based on the research so far, these seem to be the best options available for our CX-9:

Portable Option: Philips PET 1030
-- 10.2" screen for $200. Inexpensive.
-- Comes with the "Smart Car Mount", which attaches securely to the headrest.
-- Portable, can be moved from 2nd row to 3rd row or to another car.

Philips PET1030

Dual Headrest Option. RCA Dual Headrest
-- $800 installed for 2 screens. Both 9.2" size.
-- Looks professional/factory.
-- Can be easily removed down the road when selling the vehicle.

I checked the sizes for our CX-9. These will fit.
Headrest Post Diameter = 12mm
Width between posts = 150mm

Costco - RCA Dual Headrest System

Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...!!

Not yet, but I'm debating which one to go with. Based on the research so far, these seem to be the best options available for our CX-9:

Portable Option: Philips PET 1030
-- 10.2" screen for $200. Inexpensive.
-- Comes with the "Smart Car Mount", which attaches securely to the headrest.
-- Portable, can be moved from 2nd row to 3rd row or to another car.

Philips PET1030

Dual Headrest Option. RCA Dual Headrest
-- $800 installed for 2 screens. Both 9.2" size.
-- Looks professional/factory.
-- Can be easily removed down the road when selling the vehicle.

I checked the sizes for our CX-9. These will fit.
Headrest Post Diameter = 12mm
Width between posts = 150mm

Costco - RCA Dual Headrest System

Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...!!

Did you check the width of the DVD headrest and the width of the depression (top of the sea t)for the factory headrest?

Don't think it will fit flush.......

Yes it fits.

Did you check the width of the DVD headrest and the width of the depression (top of the sea t)for the factory headrest?

Don't think it will fit flush.......

Yes, I checked. 10.5" at the bottom (seat top) where the headrest and seat meet. The headrest system is 10.2"...very close but nevertheless, it will fit.

Fitment is not the issue. 2 things...(a) Price (b) Cannot see screen from 3rd row, which is where kids are more likely to ride.

Costco provides a "InstallCard" with the purchase. According to the InstallCard website, you basically activate the card and they'll get you in touch with "A professional mobile electronics Installer is available in your local area at a time convenient to you".

I figured, it is afterall, Costco. If I don't like the installer or the system, I can return it to my local Costco and these guys will even refund the shipping charges.

Saw some similiar ones to these today without the RCA nameplate. They measured them to see if they fit and they did.
They wanted $900 plus $250 for installation.

I was quoted $2000 for the 9 inch Vizualogic ones. http://www.vizualogic.com/a1290.html

There is this set as well, but I'm leary of Wayne Mazda now after they charged me for a service manual and didn't notify me that it was backordered.
They then promptly double charged me as well so I'm sicking AMEX on them.
http://www.waynemazdafactoryparts.com/revolutioniig.html

I think I'm going to try the Costco ones.

Last edited:
Dashing

Where do you think the DVD player should go?
Under the seat?
It would cool to mount a single din in the cubby hole next to the front 12 volt signal.

Glove box seems to be a good option

Dashing

Where do you think the DVD player should go?
Under the seat?
It would cool to mount a single din in the cubby hole next to the front 12 volt signal.

Also, what I liked about the Costco headrests is that they do not come with built-in DVD player, you can actually have more foam cushion on the headrests.

I thought about the cubby hole too, but I doubt if it will fit. Glove box is a good option. This way the Mom (or Dad) in the passenger seat can control what the kids watch and when they can watch it.

Under the seat would be difficult to reach, both while installing and while changing DVD's and when vaccuming the car you (or the carwash guy) might accidently hit it and damage it.

Philips portable DVD installed on headrest w/ pics

Attached are some pics of the Philips PET1030 mounted on the CX-9 headrest using the Philips "Smart Car Mount". It fits perfectly & image quality is excellent. Paid $215 @ Circuit City.

What I did not like is that the DVD player keeps shaking when the vehicle is in motion. It is a very secure mount, however, a small plastic bracket holding that big player just doesn't make it for a TIGHT mount.

I feel like returning it and trying the Costco headrest system.

Attachments

• Philips Headrest1.jpg
    Philips Headrest1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,335
  • Philips Headrest2.jpg
    Philips Headrest2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 994
  • Philips Headrest3.jpg
    Philips Headrest3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 927
Looks like a huge screen, but the shaking would bug me and that looks like a big target for car thieves.

Headrest DVD resolved for $189 - Panasonic LS850

As per my earlier post, I did not like the way the Philips PET1030 mounted on the headrest. The constant shaking was driving me nuts. So I returned it and tried the Panasonic Portable DVD LS850
42715005.JPG

The install was perfectly snug. Absolutely no shaking and the 8.5" screen looks perfect size for the viewing distance. The image quality is pretty good too.

For those looking for a single (or double) headrest solution, this one works very well and absolutely no splicing wires or any kind of installation is required.

I purchased mine from Costco for $189. The only negative thing is that it did not come with a Remote...atleast the Costco's package didn't. Otherwise everything worked out pretty good!

Attachments

• PanasonicHeadrest1.jpg
    PanasonicHeadrest1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,021
  • PanasonicHeadrest2.jpg
    PanasonicHeadrest2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • PanasonicHeadrest3.jpg
    PanasonicHeadrest3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 898
  • PanasonicHeadrest4.jpg
    PanasonicHeadrest4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 893
Tank Colour headrest compatibility

hi All,

Anyone no of a brand that matches the Tan headrests well?

Thanks,

Dave
Calgary

Very nice.. Can you provide us with more info..? Did you do the installation or did you order the monitor already mounted inside of the headrest? Did you run the cables through the seat too?

Thx,
Craig

I got exactly what you have here, Panasonic LS850.
I can confirm, this one does not come with Remote and there is no option for remote either.
But there are a lot of things I like. I can straight copy .avi (.mp4) files to a DVD and it plays fine because it supports Divx. LCD can be position lower or higher around 5". Great for my kids, even though I have RSES. I got it off eBay for $114 with free shipping and 30% live cashback.
As per my earlier post, I did not like the way the Philips PET1030 mounted on the headrest. The constant shaking was driving me nuts. So I returned it and tried the Panasonic Portable DVD LS850
42715005.JPG

The install was perfectly snug. Absolutely no shaking and the 8.5" screen looks perfect size for the viewing distance. The image quality is pretty good too.

For those looking for a single (or double) headrest solution, this one works very well and absolutely no splicing wires or any kind of installation is required.

I purchased mine from Costco for $189. The only negative thing is that it did not come with a Remote...atleast the Costco's package didn't. Otherwise everything worked out pretty good!

Back