New Mazdaspeed3 / Mazda3 Competition Motor Mount

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
ProtegeGarage is proud to unveil its own competition motor mount for the Mazdaspeed3 and Mazda3. We're lucky enough to have Neil (tru boost) testing this mount for us and have him to thank for the R&D on it as well. This mount uses high quality chromemoly tubing typically reserved for race car chassis. Bushing tearing problems and potential strength issues from a two piece mount have been eliminated with this design. Stay tuned for more details in the coming days.

Attachments

• speed3mount.jpg
    speed3mount.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 436
looks good!

hows it feel installed? any noticable differences?

yeah hows it feel in comparison to the awr 77(?)duro? is this pretty much a track only type of piece?

i'll let neil chime in here on his experience with it when he can. i spoke with the fabricator today and he's sending a revised unit out with further improvements.

and what about the *main* motor mounts? why does everyone focus on only the front and rear (which on the 3, the front doesn't exist) mounts? sure the motor rocks back and forth and thats what it appears to matter, but the main motor mounts are the ones that take most of the grunt because they get twisted and take also take the weight of the powertrain

TheMAN said:
and what about the *main* motor mounts? why does everyone focus on only the front and rear (which on the 3, the front doesn't exist) mounts? sure the motor rocks back and forth and thats what it appears to matter, but the main motor mounts are the ones that take most of the grunt because they get twisted and take also take the weight of the powertrain

as soon as i get donor mounts we'll make some

sorry for the delay fellas.
the mount is "almost solid". the bushings used are a special hardened plastic rather than poly or rubber. the is definately noticable vibration, but its a small price to pay to know it WILL NOT BREAK ! testing of this mount will be complete at the end of this week. we will then be testin a similar version but it WILL use polyurethane. due to the problems with some current mounts, we do not know how well the poly will hold up. if we get it right it should offer similar firmness but a smoother ride, when compared to the solid version.
i have had the solid one on my car for about three weeks now, and it 100% does its job. some of the "softer" fellas out there will not like the ride feel, but most performance minded people will know that a good solid driveline is going to vibrate. honestly its not too bad though. it is only rough when first starting off at low rpm. once you are going you hardly feel it.

TheMAN said:
the rear mount is often called the "torque mount"
it is the mount that takes all the abuse. when that mount is made sloppy "like stock" the other mounts get flexed and twisted. once the torque mount is secured power it transfered to the wheels and not through mounts.
i'm sure other mounts would help some...... but the lower will yield the best improvement.

the solid mounts shipped and should be in the testing phase by our few helpfull guinea pigs !! i will be recieving a batch of poly mounts on sun 7-1.
i will test it personally for a few days. if it meets my expectations (doesnt tear the bushing) i will ship out the rest of the testers at the end of the week

Are these mounts an easy install for the average user of these forums? Whatever I mean by that..

I want to do it myself, if possible! The rear/lower engine mount I did not do by myself, but I probably would if it came down to changing it out again. At the time, I did not have a floor jack, only ramps, which apparently work (bbrich, I know, did that w/ just ramps..)..

Anyway, I can't wait for more mounts!!

ch77 said:
Are these mounts an easy install for the average user of these forums? Whatever I mean by that..

I want to do it myself, if possible! The rear/lower engine mount I did not do by myself, but I probably would if it came down to changing it out again. At the time, I did not have a floor jack, only ramps, which apparently work (bbrich, I know, did that w/ just ramps..)..

Anyway, I can't wait for more mounts!!
super easy install ! it takes me longer to jack up the car and put it on stands than changing the mount !

I just got my speed 2 weeks ago. so how much of difference does this AWR mount make?
I'm not looking to do a bunch of mods to my car just CAI and probably this mount everyone keeps talking about.

I know that.

I want this mount too! I also want my decals and Forge bypass valve!!

So, Ken, I must ask: why do I almost never get responses to my emails to protegegarage? I know I don't ask too many questions, and I know my emails are coherent enough. Not to b****, but.. Yeah, that's my one complaint against you guys.

But I'd still buy from you first..

Back