oil catch tank alarm!

ok i searched the google for hours, i search the topic with no results and i tried to "read" the chinese diagram. a few days ago it was my birthday and a friend of mine brought me an oil catch tank
sard-29283.jpg

unfortunately the instructions are in chinese (and i only speak greek and badly english). so, does anyone knows where the two hoses go? i guess the one goes on the place where i have a small filter now. the other one?
engine1.jpg

if you don't have boost, it's a waste of time and money.

Unless you like rice. Or you have a bad PCV valve..

Negative Ghost Rider, here's how it should go. You need to double check which nipple on the tank is the intake side, and which is the PCV side:

Attachments

• oiltank.jpg
    oiltank.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
MiaTurbo said:
Negative Ghost Rider, here's how it should go. You need to double check which nipple on the tank is the intake side, and which is the PCV side:

no ******* way! by this way except that i'll be loosing pressure and the FPR wont work properly the oil catcher will blow the oil back (shocked)

Last edited:
Negative. The way it's set up now, it does absolutly nothing. Think about it, what did that little filter do? did you have oil coming from there? no. all you have now is a fancy crankcase filter.

The oil catch can is designed to go between the PCV valve and intake manifold. When the engine pulls vacuume it sucks in vapors through the PCV valve. A problem with this is that it will suck oil in as well. The catch can works as a seperator to seperate liquid oil, from vapors.

http://www.neonrick.com/oilair_howto.html

http://www.integra.orcon.net.nz/catchcan

But you don't have to listen to me. I'm only a [retired]ASE certified tech, and have only built 3 race cars. Not to mention dozens of performance engines. You also thanked Brian for telling you how to properly install it, exactly like I diagramed it originaly.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I was bored and whipped up this awesome diagram for you guys. Hope it helps shed light on the subject. The green air is the airflow created by the vacuume from the intake. Top diagram is proper install, the bottom one is your install.

Please also note that by posting how to install it, I do not support the install. On a fairly stock street car in proper working order, you do not need a catch can.

Attachments

• oil catch can.JPG
    oil catch can.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
MiaTurbo said:
did you actually read that? It says nothing about an oil catch can. It does actually tell you how a Positive Crankcase Ventilation(PCV) Valve works. If you actually read what was posted, then it will make sense how a catch can works.

He doesn't need to read it. He wrote the thing!
(RTM)

JDM Sam said:
He doesn't need to read it. He wrote the thing!
(RTM)
I know he posted it, but just because he posted it doesn't mean he read it. :rolleyes: He could have just copied and pasted it. If he knew how the PVC system works, he would know how to install the oil catch can.(RTM)

now i get it! miaturbo the place where the small filter is should connect with intake pipe. right? my intake pipe has no place to connect it. should i change the whole pipe or is there something else i could do?

if i connect the red one on pcv as you say i cant connect the other side because i'll have to disconnect the fuel pressure regulator :S

Last edited:
put the filter back where it was on the valve cover originaly. Then connect the 2 lines like I diagramed for you in the original picture I posted. The fuel pressure regulator is unaffected. Follow that little 3" of black hose from the PCV valve. Thats the line you need to use.

I'm glad you understand how it supose to go now :)

Last edited:
MiaTurbo said:
I know he posted it, but just because he posted it doesn't mean he read it. :rolleyes: He could have just copied and pasted it. If he knew how the PVC system works, he would know how to install the oil catch can.(RTM)

you being on the forums for only 2 years assume a lot about me
go ahead and try to find everything (except the diagrams) in that post in a book or some website... I copied/pasted it... riiight

I wouldn't have wrote that s*** if I didn't know how that s*** worked... and if you actually ******* read that s***, you'd see that I mentioned about oil catch cans towards the end of it and explained where you should hook it up and WHY it should be there

I don't care if you're a retired ASE certified "tech" or not, the fact is, you don't know the relationship between engine blow-by and PCV valve orifice opening from vacuum/pressure

there is almost NO blow-by during cruising/high vacuum state on a GOOD engine... whatever there is will be so minor it SHOULD be sucked in through the PCV valve (which is at the most open state, which should be "obvious" to you mr retired "tech")... so minor that there will be NOTHING that gets caught in a catch can except for a nasty film of oil that'll turn to sludge eventually... and during hard driving, there will be so little vacuum that the PCV valve will be basically shut and thats when the most blow-by occurs... and where does it go? out the breather tube, which is WHERE an oil catch can should be hooked up

you'll see how inadequate YOUR way, the commonly misconcepted way of hooking up the s*** is when a) the MSM is setup exactly like how I've mentioned it except its fancy OEM oil catch can has a drain back to the oil pan b) all the crazy magazine featured sports cars tuned by REPUTABLE tuning companies in japan have it hooked up the way I've mentioned IIRC c) the special Mazdaspeed oil catch can sold in limited numbers (as part of their race car "parts kit") for the N1 race Demio *instructs* the installer to hook it up the way I've mentioned

so since its clear you didn't read what I wrote, not thinking, and thinking too mighty of yourself, you DON'T know what you're talking about and you're giving bulls*** advice

like I said, I don't care if you're certified or not... I've seen enough "certified" people in my time that don't know their heads from their asses and a "kid" who doesn't do whatever s*** it is (computers, mechanical s***, etc) for a living can figure it out better.... this is why I'm *NOT* going to even flaunt MY own certifications in auto repair because that's just unnecessary egotism bulls***... if I know the processes of s***, I'll explain it, let people learn, and stop the spread of bulls***... but if I don't know anything, I'll stfu and NOT talk out of my ass

the reason why everyone else and I have been ignoring this thread for the past 2 days was because its a waste of OUR time, because miataguy2cyprus got the help he needed, but you haven't been giving up in spitting out your bulls***

so I'm only replying this one last time in this thread because miataguy2cyprus doesn't need to be heading off the wrong turn on the road all because of your insistent needless, baseless crap

this thread is DONE, so SOMEONE FFS lock this sorry thread

Your post is weaksauce. I've seen enough "kids" in my time that don't know their heads from their butt and destroy their engine, brakes, car, computer, house, whatever. And a "professional" who does do it for a living do it better. And yes, if you want to discuss it, your qualifications are important.

If that is the actual way to install it, fine I'll step aside and admit my error, but you haven't shown anything. Every link on the web I've seen shows it installed the way I said too. Please show us where all these 'reputable' Japanese builders install it. A link, picture, something. maybe the manufacturers have something on their site we can't see, But you can? I'm not taking your word for it just because you are 'TheMAN'

Your repetitive use of curse words is a nice touch too..

Last edited:
Theman - Chill out. If you're going to flame, you're going to pay consequences.

FWIW, I have mine hooked up how MIATurbo mentioned, and I get about a cup of oil a week in the catch can that way.

Back