Engine swap: 1999 1.6L/auto to 2002 2.0/5-speed

:
1999 Mazda Protege "Sport20" FS-ZE swap
I'm going to make this thread to document my engine swap project that my friends and I did last March.

---------

I bought a wrecked 2002 Mazda Protege LX 5-speed off Mackdadam the beginning of last year. It was missing the shifter linkage and ECU, but the engine/tranny were still intact. The car was in a front end collision but the engine still ran. The airbags had been deployed.

Attachments

• IMG_3677 copy.jpg
    IMG_3677 copy.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_3676 copy.jpg
    IMG_3676 copy.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 834
  • tn_IMG_3681.JPG
    tn_IMG_3681.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
Some of the parts I ordered to start off:

MSP shifter/linkage assembly: BP7H-46-100
MSP #3 engine mount: BP7H-39-06Y
2.0 Manual ECU
Shift Knob
Shift boot

We started pulling the engine/tranny out of the donor car February 7th. It was on an engine hoist for a few days before I could get time off to get started on the swap into my car.

Attachments

• IMG_3663 copy.jpg
    IMG_3663 copy.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_3688 copy.jpg
    IMG_3688 copy.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_3686 copy.jpg
    IMG_3686 copy.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_3683 copy.jpg
    IMG_3683 copy.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_3684 copy.jpg
    IMG_3684 copy.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
More engine pictures. Painted the valve cover with Duplicolor "Cast Coat Iron" DE 1651 from O'Reiley's Auto Parts.

Attachments

• IMG_3685 copy.jpg
    IMG_3685 copy.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_3707 copy.jpg
    IMG_3707 copy.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_3708 copy.jpg
    IMG_3708 copy.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
The easy part: Physically fitting the engine into the engine bay. Assuming you have a donor car with the 2.0 mounts, axles, transmission, clutch pedal, slave cylinder, everything bolts right up.

The clutch pedal assembly will mount to the firewall where (on automatic Protege's) a white plastic plug covers the hole. No need to drill anything.

The hub assemblies were carried over from my 1.6. Keep in mind I upgraded to the 99/00 ES front calipers/rotors previously. I would recommend doing the same, as the 99/00 1.6L front brakes were tiny and with the extra weight of the FS-DE 2.0, you will have bad brakes if you don't!

The steering rack on 01+ Protege's were revised for a lighter feel. You do not need to change it out. I did not, because of my personal preference for the heaver feel of the 99/00 models. Drive the 99/00 back to back with an 01+ and you will notice the lighter feel yourself.

Also, 2001+ front crossmembers are slightly different. I retained my 99 crossmember, but it is recommended you switch them out if possible. 01+ crossmembers have an additional brace on them. While this new brace is removable, it will not fit onto the 99/00 crossmember because there are no mounting holes for it.

Attachments

• IMG_3721 copy.jpg
    IMG_3721 copy.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_3722 copy.jpg
    IMG_3722 copy.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_3726 copy.jpg
    IMG_3726 copy.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_3729 copy.jpg
    IMG_3729 copy.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_3864 copy.jpg
    IMG_3864 copy.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
Because of wiring differences, us 99/00 people will have to change out just about every wiring harness in our cars to accomodate the new engine and ECU. (Unless you want to do your own custom wiring.) I hate wiring, so I ordered everything I needed and used everything I could out of the parts car.

You will need:
Main dash harness (ECU/gauge cluster/turn signal relay/clutch switch/brake switch/wipers)
Secondary dash harness (radio/HVAC/airbags/ignition)
Engine harness (engine sensors/ECU/fuel pump)
Front engine bay harness (connects headlights/turn signals to main dash harness)
Roof harness (dome light/rear deck speakers/taillights/keyless entry)

The part numbers will vary depending on your car's options such as side airbags/keyless entry/ABS. Consult the parts catalog for more information.

Attachments

• IMG_4800 copy.jpg
    IMG_4800 copy.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_3935 copy.jpg
    IMG_3935 copy.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_4798 copy.jpg
    IMG_4798 copy.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
In addition to the new wiring harnesses, you will also need to change out the HVAC controls/center pod bezel/airbox. The reason for this is that the 01+ models use a motorized actuator to open the flap for air recirulation. Us 99/00 guys have a cable-operated recirculation function. The new secondary dash harness has different connectors for the HVAC controls and has a connector for the motorized actutator.

Attachments

• IMG_4834 copy.jpg
    IMG_4834 copy.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0714 copy.jpg
    IMG_0714 copy.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_4555 copy.jpg
    IMG_4555 copy.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Finally, a new gauge cluster is needed most likely. I went ahead and ordered a 2001 ES cluster (red backlight illumination to match the new center pod.)

Your mileage is stored in the cluster itself, so unfortuntely it will not transfer over.

Attachments

• IMG_3730 copy.jpg
    IMG_3730 copy.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3731 copy.jpg
    IMG_3731 copy.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
This should complete your engine swap!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND buying the 01+ Factory Service Manual and the complete parts catalog to guide you along the way.

Last edited:
This will definitely save time whenever I get around to pulling my 2.0L out.
I have a feeling that the dash wiring will be the only PITA part of the swap.

How long did it take you to complete the swap?

As long as you have all the wiring from both cars, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 days. Yeah, the wiring is that much of a pain in the ass -- have fun pulling the dash, A/C cooling unit, blower motor. The main dash harness runs behind them, clipped to the firewall.

I am replacing my ZL-DE engine with a ZL-VE unit with SVT, but I haven't got the harnesses for it yet. I know the VE needs a different harness to run the SVT and chip, so I definitely need the Main dash and Engine harnesses, and possibly the Front engine bay harness too, but I'm not sure if I need to change the roof or the Secondary dash harnesses. NegaTIZE, do you have any ideas what I could be in for swapping to a ZL-VE?

Markos

I'm not sure about overseas models, so you're best way of knowing is to acquire a parts catalog for the year of your car, and the year the engine that's going to into your car came out of.

I know some other people on here have access to that information, so best of luck!

The ZL-DE is almost exactly the same as the ZM-DE, slightly different stroke and that's about it. The ZL-VE has a different head which houses the SVT, I think you can bolt it straight into a ZM-DE but it needs different harnesses and ECU. I'm weighing up a complete engine swap to the ZL-VE, or just flip the SVT head on my current block, rewire everything and go. The ZL-VE has different pistons and rods too I think.

It'd be like either swapping the head or the entire engine on a ZM plus rewiring at least three of those harnesses and the ECU. I think the ZL Protege's were early so the VTAC and roof harnesses could be the same. Digging up info on it as we speak

Markos

Latest posts

Back