GRM Project Miata MXR2 Status

UPDATE: Another parts car.

It's a sickness I swear. Well at least the engine isn't toast on this one. I was able to crank it today dumping fuel through a vacuum line (fuel pump is toast) and I could get it to sputter and hold for a bit, but not run optimally. So we'll see what the newest POS brings this Tuesday. I've got a fuel cell with integral fuel pump that I'll connect temporarily and get some gas to the engine. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens :D.

Pics here.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1364497#post1364497

Well, I got the latest XR2 to run! Better yet, I hit 10 PSI (according to the stock boost gauge)! So the turbo is good!!! yay. Since the fuel pump wasn't working, we rigged up a fuel cell with an internal fuel pump and ran it from that. Since the stock tank is full of 6 year old gas, we had to catch the unused fuel in a 1 gal jug. fun-fun-fun. Now I have a CONFIRMED working turbo (hearing that whine was sweet) and I'm now ready to go full throttle on this project. However, I'm going to clean out all of the junk and broken glass, swap the fuel pump from the other XR2, and hit the drag strip one night before I tear this one apart. Miata MXR5 is just around the corner :D.

Here are a few pics from tonight.

Attachments

• DSCN0992.JPG
    DSCN0992.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCN0995.JPG
    DSCN0995.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCN0996.JPG
    DSCN0996.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 297
one step closer!
hit the dragstrip? with which car?

Finally, Work begins on #2

This past weekend, I finally got the Miata to my place to begin work (damn, it's nice to be able to work on a car in a heated garage). Dissassembly of non-essential stuff began tonight (A/C and such).

I have a confirmed working turbo and a manifold that will work with this car, so things will be full go from here on out. I need to find a smaller width radiator to accomidate the intercooler piping. With that, considering the cooling system of the Miata is already sub-par, I will be rerouting the cooling system as depicted in an article I've found here http://members.aol.com/solomiata/CoolantReroute.html

For those that are interested, updates will be coming regularly, especially once the holidays are over.

(Seeing the boost come on in XR2 that runs has really floored me with this project).

Last edited:
I have a 2nd Gen RX7 radiator sitting in my garage. It's skinnier than the original Miata radiator, but I'm pretty sure it's a little taller.

xelderx said:
I have a 2nd Gen RX7 radiator sitting in my garage. It's skinnier than the original Miata radiator, but I'm pretty sure it's a little taller.
I'll check those out at the junker this weekend if there are any available. If not, I may take you up on that. I don't think being taller will be an issue. What's the width of it?

kcbhiw said:
I'll check those out at the junker this weekend if there are any available. If not, I may take you up on that. I don't think being taller will be an issue. What's the width of it?
I'll measure it tonight when I go back by the garage.

So far so good....

Recently, I've been getting a lot of things in order to get this project underway. With items such as a peice of plate metal to fabricate a conversion flange (Garritt manifold to IHI turbo), boost and AFR guages, 2.25" and 3" steel U's for plumbing, fittings for oil supply, etc. on the way. I'm willing to say that the project is finally in full effect. I acquired yet another turbo (VJ11). I have 4 to choose from, but the latest one appears to be the peach. It spins beautifully and has no shaft play, so i'll probably be using that. I've begun to prep the engine bay for the "pretty points" so that I may expedite the installation of the turbo. If all goes as planned #2 should be boosted within a month. I've become really hopeful with this project and am really looking forward to how things turn out.

Here are a few pictures of the progress under the hood. Still, not much to look at. The gray will be the final color of the engine bay and lower half of the exterior. It's a bit darker in person and resembles that of the RX8 (without the metal flake).

EDIT: Justin, any word on the RX7 radiator?

Attachments

• DSCN1143.JPG
    DSCN1143.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCN1145.JPG
    DSCN1145.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN1149.JPG
    DSCN1149.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCN1153.JPG
    DSCN1153.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Dscn1154.jpg
    Dscn1154.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
kcbhiw said:
EDIT: Justin, any word on the RX7 radiator?
I had to work all weekend so I didn't get a chance to swing by the garage. I have to go over there tomorrow afternoon so I'll have that info for you then.

xelderx said:
The 2nd Gen radiator is about 24" wide and 20" tall
That size is perfect. I'm going to try to find one at the junker today. If not, I'll give you a call. How much would you want for it? I'll be passing through your area Monday, so I could pick it up then.

kcbhiw said:
That size is perfect. I'm going to try to find one at the junker today. If not, I'll give you a call. How much would you want for it? I'll be passing through your area Monday, so I could pick it up then.
I know what you are using it for. How about this...you buy the radiator for whatever sounds good to you (I just need to get it out of my garage). Then when your done with all those nice B6T motors I get first dibs and a deal I can't refuse.

xelderx said:
I know what you are using it for. How about this...you buy the radiator for whatever sounds good to you (I just need to get it out of my garage). Then when your done with all those nice B6T motors I get first dibs and a deal I can't refuse.
I'll keep you in mind for that radiator. Unless I'm able to find one locally (to avoid shipping), I'll drop you a line. I'll keep you up to date on the B6T also. You're first in line :D.

Latest Update: Making Headway!!!

It's been a while, but here's an update. I've been busting my hump (when I'm not away on freakin' business) prepping the engine bay and what not. I finally got it completely painted after removing everything (except the engine), sanding, sanding, sanding, and of course painting. The sheet metal is a dark gray (the flash in the pics lightens it up quite a bit) similar to that of Mazda's graphite color and the brackets and what not are black. All of this to compliment what the exterior of the car will look like when finished. I also made a new harness to work with the larger injectors that I am using, installed the fat(er) injectors, turbo oil line, and a few other odds and ends. I picked up an FC RX7 radiator today (sorry Justin), but have yet to determine whether or not it'll work well for me. I hope to have the car back to a running state tomorrow (Sunday) to make sure everything is connected properly before I move onto the turbo installation. If all goes well, the turbo shall be installed and plumbed (minus intake/exhaust) by next weekend's end.

Here are a few pics for the time being. The first pic is how the engine bay looked before the project started. The second is how it stands now, still a bit of work to be done, though. The third is of the cleaned intake manifold with new injectors installed while the fourth is the oil feed setup for the turbo.

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 314
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 291
  • manny.JPG
    manny.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCN1238.JPG
    DSCN1238.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 307
I can't tell fromt the pic but make sure that the oil pressure sender is supported. I found that the nipple threaded into the block isn't strong enough to support the weight on it's own...especially with vibration and bumps in the road.

xelderx said:
I can't tell fromt the pic but make sure that the oil pressure sender is supported. I found that the nipple threaded into the block isn't strong enough to support the weight on it's own...especially with vibration and bumps in the road.
Good call. I've been a bit concerned about that aspect. I'll look into some way of supporting it.

I had to spend some time underneath a Pro5 with some easy-outs because of that...in the middle of a 24 hour AutoX...luckily it wasn't mine...but we live and learn.

Back