Rear brake ?

Bluesv

:
Mazda 3
How do u put a piston back in the calliper? I had a hard time pushing it back, really hard time, almost didnt throw away my tool, cause it wasnt helping too much, and yeah, mazda 3 uses star , or Torx set, its either 45, or 40 isnt sure now, look at the pictures,I think it says 45 on it, still when u buy torx key set u get them both, so u are OK,also look how bad my rear were, only 33000 on`em, but at least now Mazda is using better compound on those pads, at least that's what my service manager at the local shop told me, here are pics, and yeah,he gave me a quate for 294$ for rear brake replacement, with rotors turning included, damn I was like wtf? also he goes and say something like yeah, mazda used compound that was too soft on the pad in the rear, and IM like duh, how do u think we get all that dust from? air? that's what I was thinking , I just could get myself to say it out loud, cause I will be back there for some work on my car, oil, glove box, side door panels, so that would might piss him off a little,so the ? is, IS THERE AN EASIER WAY TO PUT PISTON BACK INTO POSITION ON THE CALLIPER? or it is that hard?and yes i did open the resourva for brake fluid

Attachments

• P1010619.JPG
    P1010619.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 361
  • P1010620.JPG
    P1010620.JPG
    277.8 KB · Views: 336
  • P1010621.JPG
    P1010621.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 288
  • P1010618.JPG
    P1010618.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 389
  • P1010615.JPG
    P1010615.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Well, if it's ANYthing like the Protege's rear calipers, you don't push it back in; You have to use a hex (Or maybe torx, in this case) bit, and turn it back, which pulls the piston back into place. Then, once you install it again, you tighten it back down all the way, then back it off one third of a turn to adjust for the hand brakes. =) Hope this helps!

Not really, cause Iam talking about my last pic, where the part im taking about is this rusted part in the middle, that pushes the pads toward the rotors, too bad its rusted already, but they work fine, so are the rotors, and what u are taking about are those two nuts u see on the next pic i just posted

Last edited:
Nope, looks like they aren't the same... You'd have a bolt RIGHT behind the piston if they were. But I DO recognize those divots. Try twisting the piston while you push, perhaps? That's how I have to reassemble calipers after a rebuild. *shrugs*

How many miles do you have on your car, btw? Brakes have a 12,000 mile warranty.

around 34000
I know, one year, or 12000
and yes i spent to much on oil changes ,but dont want to do it myself,

Bluesv said:
around 34000
I know, one year, or 12000
and yes i spent to much on oil changes ,but dont want to do it myself,

You don't want to do an oil change but you'll do the brakes? (scratch)

(shrug) Ho-kay.

34,000 miles already??? When did you buy your car?? I didn't think they were out long enough to rack up that kind of mileage!

yeah, oil change 28$, brakes almost 300$, so yeah, thats a big difference, also I gat the car on 11/26/2003, and according to the dealer mine was the first one sold in the north america, but how do I check it out, dont know, plus i need that tool from the dealer to unscrew the filter, then pay another guy for used oil, takes too long and I would have to do it too often

Last edited:
wow... 34k in 9 months. You drive to Alaska every week or something? (scratch) I thought I had a lot with 10,500 in 6 months but you take it to a whole new level!

oil change-$28x7 = $196

But hey... it's your money! :D

I don't know of any easy way to figure out which was the first one sold in NA. What's the last six digits of your VIN? I'm sure someone at MazdaUSA could tell you what the first one off the boat was.

Oh, 34k isn't really that bad for a set of brake pads, especially ones as soft as our rear set.

Bluesv said:
so how much did u pay for that special tool that only dealer will sell?

Only the dealer will sell? Says who?

Scroll down. There's a link and a picture.

Will that one not work for some reason?

Gold I was talking about the tool for the oil filter, isnt it like 80$? and not the one for the calliper, also u read the post the calliper on 3 is diffent then the one on Protege, plus I didnt see any holes to put that tool to a good use, anyhow, if or better yet when U change the rear brakes plz tell me how u did it cause Im more then interested how u do it, and if there is a easier way to doing it, tx, also if anybody have a pic of the rear calliper of Protege, and the holes where Im suppose to use that tool I would apprieciate it, tx

Ahhh... the oil filter tool. I just used a strap wrench. I'm pretty sure you can get the oil filter cap wrench from just about any auto parts store. You just have to get the right size. I think it's like 72mm or something.

I haven't changed my brakes yet but if the pictures you posted are from the car you're working on, then the tool I linked to the picture of will work to get the piston back in. There are two small holes in the piston that the two pins on the tool fit into.

so how big is that tool for piston? must be really small, so yeah, im buying it, also I will have to see how hard it is to replace that filter, it is as easy as it was in the Grand am then Im doing it myself, if its more like the honda civic then the dealer will see my car for the oil change, anyway tx

The tool is about a 1.5" cube. You might be able to find it at a local parts store. It's pretty common. Call around before you order it.

The filter is definitely easier than a Honda, even with the cartridge filter.

so then simply turn it clockwise and it will slide back? thats it? damn that is simple then (cool)and will it work on the front too? or dont know? so will it work on front too? or not? or do u need another tool to get it that one done?

Last edited:
Sometimes clockwise, sometimes counter-clockwise. You should be able to tell once you start messing with it.

Here's a couple pics to clarify, showing the two holes and the two pins.

The front pads you just squeeze in with a c-clamp or a hella-big pair of channel-locks.

The reason the rear pads have to be turned in is because of the parking brake mechanism.

Attachments

• P1010618.JPG
    P1010618.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 223
  • KD-3163.jpg
    KD-3163.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
goldwing2000 said:
How many miles do you have on your car, btw? Brakes have a 12,000 mile warranty.

So, if the brakes are warrantied, does this mean that Mazda will replace the crappy soft pads for the better ones if we "bi*ch" enough???? (smash)

Back