Very disappointed with Mazda CPO warranty

This got me thinking, I just got a 2017 CX-9 GT which I love and my first Mazda, I was washing the car and I noticed the nose doesnt seems to be supported very well. Matter of fact just pressing down on it or dropping the hood I could see how it would cause cracks.

I feel like I could literally hit the thing and it fall off easily.

I will keep an eye on it, I live in MISS and the roads here SUCK, but also the car came from NY so maybe if it was going to crack it would have already.

:
2010 CX-9 GT
I'm wondering if it can be cracked due to minor contact with the front end. Going over bumps seems like an odd cause.

Instead of the email you should send them a registered letter asking for a fix under warranty. Also you can try emailing their CEO and checking with the NCDS if you can use their service. Last, the NHTSA could consider this a safety issue and ask for a recall.

:
SF Bay Area
:
'17 CX-9 Signature
I'm wondering if it can be cracked due to minor contact with the front end. Going over bumps seems like an odd cause.
There has been no impact. This is why I was puzzled about why and how it happened. Well, until I found the TSB. It is well documented in there, but basically - there is a structural design defect in the bumper of the 2016-1018 models. It's has some weight going in the wrong place and the cracks form at the weakest spot. I got another small crack on the other (driver) side (same spot), just in the last 2 weeks. No impacts anywhere. Not even a carwash. The car has been mostly sitting with a few short drives around town.

:
SF Bay Area
:
'17 CX-9 Signature
Quick update and some GOOD NEWS!

A week or so ago - Mazda Corporate pretty much told me again, in an email, that this is NOT going to be covered by the CPO warranty, without any explanation why. It was a pretty firm "no". :( :devilish:

I decided to listen to some of you here who suggested that I should try the dealer(s) again and i went to the same dealer I went to the first time, just to tell them that Mazda USA sent me to them to deal with this. I had printouts of the CPO contract with what is exluded highlighted, the TSB, and some additional details.
At the dealer, I got to talk to one of the managers there. He came, saw the car, saw the old crack, and then the brand new crack I have now on the driver side. His initial response was "these cracks, even on a new(er) car, may not be covered since they may be a result of an impact".... however since there is a TSB - he was willing to investigate further. I told him about the CPO warranty, I presented the list of "not covered items" and showed him that the bumper was not listed as excluded anywhere. He said that normally CPO warranties do NOT cover any body parts, period. However, even though this is the official answer, he can try to make a case to Mazda USA and get this approved somehow. He asked for 3 days to work on this.

Well.... I got a call on Monday from the dealer, it was approved, but I had to pay a small portion of it - $150. The rest - all parts, labor, paint, all per the TSB will be covered under the CPO. I took the offer.

Still not sure why I am paying $150 for this, but it's not a huge amount, given that my bumper will have to be replaced sooner or later (it's gradually failing due to these cracks) and anywhere else, I will have to pay a lot more for a new one.

I dropped off the car today. They will work on it for 3-4 days (including the paint job). I got a new CX-5 for a loaner, so things are looking much better!!!

Thank you all for the suggestions and guidance during this painful process.

Last edited:

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Quick update and some GOOD NEWS!

A week or so ago - Mazda Corporate pretty much told me again, in an email, that this is NOT going to be covered by the CPO warranty, without any explanation why. It was a pretty firm "no". :( :devilish:

I decided to listen to some of you here who suggested that I should try the dealer(s) again and i went to the same dealer I went to the first time, just to tell them that Mazda USA sent me to them to deal with this. I had printouts of the CPO contract with what is exluded highlighted, the TSB, and some additional details.
At the dealer, I got to talk to one of the managers there. He came, saw the car, saw the old crack, and then the brand new crack I have now on the driver side. His initial response was "these cracks, even on a new(er) car, may not be covered since they may be a result of an impact".... however since there is a TSB - he was willing to investigate further. I told him about the CPO warranty, I presented the list of "not covered items" and showed him that the bumper was not listed as excluded anywhere. He said that normally CPO warranties do NOT cover any body parts, period. However, even though this is the official answer, he can try to make a case to Mazda USA and get this approved somehow. He asked for 3 days to work on this.

Well.... I got a call on Monday from the dealer, it was approved, but I had to pay a small portion of it - $150. The rest - all parts, labor, paint, all per the TSB will be covered under the CPO. I took the offer.

Still not sure why I am paying $150 for this, but it's not a huge amount, given that my bumper will have to be replaced sooner or later (it's gradually failing due to these cracks) and anywhere else, I will have to pay a lot more for a new one.

I dropped off the car today. They will work on it for 3-4 days (including the paint job). I got a new CX-5 for a loaner, so things are looking much better!!!

Thank you all for the suggestions and guidance during this painful process.
Happy to hear you got a resolution!