Side mirrors; replace or modify?

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
So there are two threads about a specific vendor of convex mirrors:

At nearing $200 for the solution.. the thrifty person in me started to think "hrmm maybe there are some alternatives"

So there are a few features wanted in an replacement mirror.
* it fits; easy to install
* anti glare
* hydrophobic / anti fog / anti scratch
* convex
* blind spot monitoring option
* cross path option
* turn signal option
* heated option
* <dupe item removed>

So can we find something that checks some or all of the list?
should you leave the factory alone; add functionality?

adjust your mirrors correctly:

convex addon
https://smile .amazon.com/Amfor-Frameless-Adjustable-Universal-Vehicles/dp/B076H341WY/
https://smile .amazon.com/TOMALL-Adjustable-Observation-Universal-Accessories/dp/B08G4CMHPV/

turn signal on mirror addon:
https://smile .amazon.com/Rearview-mirror-concealed-indicator-signal-Red/dp/B07DP18DQ1/

anti glare / hydophobic

replacement glass
* it fits; easy to install
* convex (passenger side only)
* cross path
* heated

what other solutions are out there waiting to be discussed?

Last edited:
I guess if you wanted a cheaper solution, you could buy the Burco mirrors, then tint them with an anti-glare film, and apply a spray wax regularly to add water repellency. With that said, applying a spray wax to an anti-glare film might defeat the purpose of the film as the spray wax could actually create glare. IME, spray wax on the OEM mirror doesn't create any additional glare.

All that said, it appears that the Burco mirrors are only convex for the passenger's side, not the driver's side.

Also as I mentioned in the other thread, a flexible LED strip could be wired into the existing turn signal and installed onto the mirror housing if one wanted a rear facing turn signal in the side mirrors.

@Mantra 7, did you mean to quote one of the other members in your post?

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the Suma mirrors make visibility worse compared to the OEM mirrors?

@Mantra 7, did you mean to quote one of the other members in your post?

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the Suma mirrors make visibility worse compared to the OEM mirrors?
Not at all. I tried to edit my post for additional thoughts but it ended up looking like a quote instead so I gave up.

My point was that the price of Suma mirrors is cheap compared to having an avoidable accident. I’m all for saving money but investing a couple hundred dollars on safety just makes sense. I wonder how many readers wouldn’t go $175 on mirrors but willingly spend many times that on a loud exhaust?

Not at all. I tried to edit my post for additional thoughts but it ended up looking like a quote instead so I gave up.

My point was that the price of Suma mirrors is cheap compared to having an avoidable accident. I’m all for saving money but investing a couple hundred dollars on safety just makes sense. I wonder how many readers wouldn’t go $175 on mirrors but willingly spend many times that on a loud exhaust?

Ah I see, sorry for the confusion. I think I just read it wrong.

I just put stick on 2 1/2 inch moon blind spots on lower outside corner for less than $10...

It's hella cheap to just adjust the mirrors properly and drive. If I'm doing the math right, that saves infinite dollars.

I just put stick on 2 1/2 inch moon blind spots on lower outside corner for less than $10...
There is no comparison between the Suma Performance mirrors and the stick-on, spot mirrors.

I have used both types and can assure you, the spot mirrors are useless at night, plus the spots only give you a very small view as compared to the Suma mirrors.

I have had the Suma mirrors on my 2016 MX-5 for quite a while and I also have the spot mirrors on my current 2018, CX-5, Grand Touring.

I am so excited to get the Suma mirrors for my CX-5. They work great for daytime as well as at night. There is no splatter of headlights after dark like what happens on Spot mirrors. I can't wait to get rid of those round Spot mirrors. They can be very dangerous.

Also, the Suma mirrors are wide angle for both sides of the CX-5 and have all the options that your vehicle came with, including Reduced Night Glare, Defrost, Blind Side Monitoring and Distortion Free, Wide Angle Viewing on both sides of the vehicle.

I have found that driving my MX-5 with these makes my time behind the wheel so much safer and less stressful.

They will be just as effective on my CX-5 and are a direct fit, replacement mirror glass for a total OEM look.

If you are thinking about purchasing these, I suggest you do so now before there are no more available. It may be a long time before Eddy, at Suma Performance, makes a second batch after these are sold. Remember, these particular ones only fit the second generation CX-5 and CX-9 vehicles.

Last edited:
It's hella cheap to just adjust the mirrors properly and drive. If I'm doing the math right, that saves infinite dollars.
The Suma mirrors improve, by a huge degree, on the proper adjustment of OEM mirrors. There is no comparison.

Plus, the way people are driving these day, meaning higher speeds and reckless lane change maneuvers, the wider the angle your mirrors have, the better chance there is of you avoiding one of these idiots, that could result in a serious crash.

They are definitely worth their cost when you take into account, their increased effectiveness. A small price to pay for so much added safety.

They really do serve as "Eyes in the Back of Your Head". :)

However, like you said, NOT installing these are, as you put it, "Hella Cheap". I can appreciate your dilemma.

I'm sure there are people who cannot afford them but for those who can, you will appreciate their improvement over OEM mirrors or Spot mirrors.

I have a lot of mods and add-ons on both my CX-5 and MX-5, but any items that would increase safety, were at the top of my list for priority purchasing.

Back