Is proof of scheduled service required to make extended warranty valid?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Without regard to the value of an extended warranty, has anyone had issues with a claim because they didn't get the 30k, 60k, 90k 'recommended' vehicle service?

The only warranties I've ever heard of having those kinds of stipulations are the sketchy in-house dealership ones.

Btw, never do the 30k, 45k, 60k, etc recommended service packages that lots of places push. Just go by what's in the service schedule in the manual.

I haven’t gotten to that mileage yet, but if I were the insurer of the extended warranty, I’d point to the clause where it says the owner is responsible for properly maintaining the vehicle and would demand proof the owner wasn’t contributory to the break down.
Say you have a PCM go bad. Did you get the oil changed regularly? Say you followed the 7500 mile schedule. Can you prove you didn’t drive the car under extreme conditions? City stop and go traffic counts as that. It’s not the 5000 mile schedule. It’s their job to find ways to deny claims. They have shareholders to answer too.
Yeah, I’m being over cynical here, but not by much. :(

never do the 30k, 45k, 60k, etc recommended service packages that lots of places push.
I don't

I haven’t gotten to that mileage yet, but if I were the insurer of the extended warranty, I’d point to the clause where it says the owner is responsible for properly maintaining the vehicle and would demand proof the owner wasn’t contributory to the break down.
Say you have a PCM go bad. Did you get the oil changed regularly? Say you followed the 7500 mile schedule. Can you prove you didn’t drive the car under extreme conditions? City stop and go traffic counts as that. It’s not the 5000 mile schedule. It’s their job to find ways to deny claims. They have shareholders to answer too.
Yeah, I’m being over cynical here, but not by much. :(

I'm not talking about maintenance like fluids and filters and such, I'm talking about that chart where they mention things about inspect/replace/adjust. You know, the things that those rip off 30k mile dealer like to push/offer/suggest. You know, this infamous list. I guess they could say "show me this was done" I've heard horror stories where because someone could prove they had an oil change they had to fight to get them to cover a broken door latch.

IMG_20200806_195456.jpg

Most of those things fall under the multi-point inspections you get when you get your oil changed.

Most of those things fall under the multi-point inspections you get when you get your oil changed.

Yep. Usually when you get your oil changed, someone signs for the work on the invoice, which is another stipulation if you get maintenance work done by a third party.

If you're doing it yourself, you just need to keep a log of when you do your maintenance, what parts you used for the maintenance, and you need to be able to produce receipts for the parts purchased (such as oils, filters, spark plugs, etc.). With regard to the "recommended" vehicle service, I'd just print a paper copy of the chart you posted and check every item off after you've cleaned/replaced/inspected it, and date it accordingly. The dates should align with the log you keep.

Huh?

I'm guessing you are making the incorrect assumption that everyone takes their vehicles to the dealership for service.
What about people who DIY, use an independent shop, or quick lube place?

Secondly, what dealership oil change also come with inspections of brake & fuel lines, ball joints, steering linkages, dust boots, ect?

Without regard to the value of an extended warranty, has anyone had issues with a claim because they didn't get the 30k, 60k, 90k 'recommended' vehicle service?
Do you have such a warranty? What does the warranty fine print say?

I guarantee there is some type of coverage exclusion clause involving "lack of maintenance."
So without documented proof that every maintenance/inspection item has been completed on time, you are at the mercy of the dealership & Mazda to have claims approved.

Huh?

I'm guessing you are making the incorrect assumption that everyone takes their vehicles to the dealership for service.
What about people who DIY, use an independent shop, or quick lube place?

Secondly, what dealership oil change also come with inspections of brake & fuel lines, ball joints, steering linkages, dust boots, ect?
The Full Circle Service Report Mazda service depts do whenever your vehicle goes in for anything includes those things (the Under Vehicle section)

7294-1018_L.jpg

The Full Circle Service Report Mazda service depts do whenever your vehicle goes in for anything includes those things (the Under Vehicle section)
That was my point...
you assumed everyone takes their vehicle to a Mazda Dealership for routine service.

That was my point...
you assumed everyone takes their vehicle to a Mazda Dealership for routine service.

I personally didn't infer that from what was written. "Get your oil changed" to me meant by the dealership, independent shop, or quick-lube shop.

Many (most?) independent shops and quick lube places do provide basic "XX-point" inspections, shown as a checklist on the invoice. But it's the owner's responsibility to ensure the XX-point inspection includes the items detailed in the owner's manual.

I personally didn't infer that from what was written. "Get your oil changed" to me meant by the dealership, independent shop, or quick-lube shop.

Many (most?) independent shops and quick lube places do provide basic "XX-point" inspections,
I would say few independent shops (and virtually zero quick lube places) inspect items listed in the Mazda owner's manual like...brake & fuel lines, ball joints, steering linkages, dust boots, ect.

So unless you are going to a Mazda dealership, most of the inspection items do NOT "fall under the multi-point inspections you get when you get your oil changed."

Disclaimer: I do 95% of all maintenance myself, so I haven't been to any of these places for routine service in 10+ years. However, I doubt Valvoline Instant Oil Change is checking fuel lines and ball joints. Edit: They don't...

starting to drift off topic.

Firestone basic (free):

Firestone complete (~$10.00):

to answer OP question:
Yes an extended warranty claim can be declined for neglect / abuse. If you want to show good faith / good maintenance - keep records of the service being completed. You need to read the specific warranty you are purchasing for the requirements regarding scheduled maintenance. Service records can be by an independent shop, dealer, or yourself.

This is will be some helpful reading:

I would say few independent shops (and virtually zero quick lube places) inspect items listed in the Mazda owner's manual like...brake & fuel lines, ball joints, steering linkages, dust boots, ect.

So unless you are going to a Mazda dealership, most of the inspection items do NOT "fall under the multi-point inspections you get when you get your oil changed."

Disclaimer: I do 95% of all maintenance myself, so I haven't been to any of these places for routine service in 10+ years. However, I doubt Valvoline Instant Oil Change is checking fuel lines and ball joints. Edit: They don't...

I see what you mean now, you're right. If you get a basic oil change at a Mazda dealership, it would include some (not all) of the items on that list. They charge more for the 30k, 60k, etc services because they're supposed to inspect everything listed in the OM, which keeps the warranty intact. But an independent/quick-lube shop typically would not inspect some items that are inspected by Mazda during the 30k services, as you said.

To maintain the Mazda warranty, anything that is not inspected by an indie/quick-lube shop must be inspected by you, or a qualified mechanic. If we're talking about maintaining a 3rd party extended warranty (not specified in the OP), you would have to refer to the clauses set forth in the paperwork of the 3rd party warranty. Some of those require you to only service the car at a specific place (i.e. selling dealership), for example.

Back