If the CX5-D wasn't already a flop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diesel fuel is already about .60 more expensive than regular fuel now. After this it will be over a dollar a gallon more.

Unob, your vendetta against diesels is quite unnecessary. You*ve made it quite clear that you are happy with your 2.5T and I*m quite sure I would be if it were available to me. The ship diesel thing is old hat now, they were talking about it last year and it will not only lead to higher prices but a global shortage of decent diesel. The stuff they use at the moment is one step up from mud and it needs to be stopped. Most countries in Europe already have a target date for the end of engines altogether. Ours is 2050 and if your gaffer wasn*t quite so stubborn, you would have one too. I don*t consider myself a tree hugger but we need to get a grip or we are done for.

Unob, your vendetta against diesels is quite unnecessary. You*ve made it quite clear that you are happy with your 2.5T and I*m quite sure I would be if it were available to me. The ship diesel thing is old hat now, they were talking about it last year and it will not only lead to higher prices but a global shortage of decent diesel. The stuff they use at the moment is one step up from mud and it needs to be stopped. Most countries in Europe already have a target date for the end of engines altogether. Ours is 2050 and if your gaffer wasn*t quite so stubborn, you would have one too. I don*t consider myself a tree hugger but we need to get a grip or we are done for.

Realistically, barring a plague or a war that knocks earth's population to a reasonable number, we're done anyways. The fuel thing is just "details", as they say. We already cannot feed ourselves without resorting to artificially increased yield crops, and now we have people whining about "GMO bad!", so the plague will probably take the form of self-selecting idiots (anti-vaxxers, etc.)

Ours is 2050 and if your gaffer wasn*t quite so stubborn, you would have one too. I don*t consider myself a tree hugger but we need to get a grip or we are done for.

Your posts are quite informative most of the time, but then you throw stuff like this in.

Well your post seemed to imply its bad to not outlaw engines.

Myopically, he's correct. ICE's are bad. However, the alternatives are worse, or not feasible. It's like saying: "Life is a terminal STD." Technically...it's pretty accurate. But the alternative sucks, lol

Realistically, barring a plague or a war that knocks earth's population to a reasonable number, we're done anyways. The fuel thing is just "details", as they say. We already cannot feed ourselves without resorting to artificially increased yield crops, and now we have people whining about "GMO bad!", so the plague will probably take the form of self-selecting idiots (anti-vaxxers, etc.)

Getting a little sideays re: subject mater (diesel fuel), but I have to say something.
You have hit it right on the head, and it touched a nerve.
It bothers me me every time I hear environmentalists talk about global warming, climate change and all the other crap that's happening to our planet.
It doesn't mean a damn thing as long as the population keeps increasing.
When Henry Ford was making model T's, there were less than 2 billion humans on the planet. Now there are 7.5 billion, and climbing.
Seven billion people need to eat, to drink clean water, to have a roof over their heads, to earn a decent living and have a decent quality of life, to pee and poop and have a place to put their garbage.
Unfortunately, this planet cannot support even the basic needs for over seven billion human beings.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, will get fixed unless the human population somehow manages to decline in a dramatic way, and I mean by billions.
Two billion is probably about right for planet earth.
Sorry to say it, but we need a war, or a plague, or an asteroid hit, or some other catastrophic event in order to save this planet in the long run.
Banning plastic straws is not going to fix things. The one problem that creates all the others is overpopulation.
I'm a grandfather now, so I won't be around to see how it all ends, but my grandkids will.
And I apologize in advance if I've touched a nerve or pissed people off.

Getting a little sideays re: subject mater (diesel fuel), but I have to say something.
It bothers me me every time I hear environmentalists talk about global warming, climate change and all the other crap that's happening to our planet.
When Henry Ford was making model T's, there were less than 2 billion humans on the planet. Now there are 7.5 billion, and climbing.
Seven billion people need to eat, to drink clean water, to have a roof over their heads, to earn a decent living and have a decent quality of life, to pee and poop and have a place to put their garbage.
Unfortunately, this planet cannot support even the basic needs for over seven billion human beings.
Nothing, and I mean nothing, will get fixed unless the human population somehow manages to decline in a dramatic way, and I mean by billions.
Sorry to say it, but we need a war, or a plague, or an asteroid hit, or some other catastrophic event in order to save this planet in the long run.
Banning plastic straws is not going to fix things. The one problem that creates all the others is overpopulation.
I'm a grandfather now, so I won't be around to see how it all ends, but my grandkids will.

I think the population in North America is declining. The baby boomers are retiring and expiring and people are having fewer children. Although I do think more immigrants are coming into the USA. Also if people were to conserve just a little bit, it goes a long way towards maintaining a good earth balance. Use led lights, buy one less article of clothing, use one less plastic bag, go to multiple stores in one trip, etc.

Since we're all off-topic...populations in advanced economies (America, Europe, Japan big time) have been below their replacement rates for quite a while. That means that--absent immigration--the populations of those countries would have been in decline.

The big population explosions are in Africa, China (somewhat)and India. But since there's nothing that can be done about them, the participants of advanced economies are told to breed less, while aid and food relief are sent to the over-breeders so they can breed even more (all sorts of controls are imposed on those who are not the problem, but the illusion of progress can be claimed). Doesn't make much sense to do this, does it? We are thwarting Darwin, supposedly to our own detriment.

This is not a class thing, it's a matter of growing numbers and their source.

The way out, as I see it, is for those countries to get pulled into the modern era as quickly as possible. Prosperity naturally causes birth rates to decline. When survival is not a daily struggle, and when there is hope for future generations to do better, people generally have fewer kids and plow their resources into them.

Of course, all this assumes that there is some magic global population number that is a tipping point. People have been making this call since I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, while the population has more than doubled and food production science/technology kept pace. I guess in theory there has to be a maximum sustainable population, but it would be regional and not global, absent foreign aid. But no one knows what that number is. And conditions are neither static nor predictable. Again, based upon 1960s hysteria, none of us should be alive today.

Back on topic: Tomorrow I'm going to go to stock up on diesel for my tractor, before the price goes up.

Last edited:

Or just a limit to how many children each couple can have.....
And stop giving to charities which artificially keep "people" alive that require constant handouts to live, and whose culture it is to bred as many children as they can.

First of all, please remember were all here to talk Mazda.

Secondly, keep threads On Topic.

Thank you.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back