Awd

tacoxl

:
2006 Speed6
Please excuse the rudeness of this post but I did introduce myself too! Thanks sooo much for your times with my question, I am starting to panic that I bought a $3000 problem.

I just picked up a 2006 speed6 and my all wheel drive does not seem to be working. The dealer tells me that the flashing 4wd light indicates that the system is working. I have been searching for a solid answer all day but can not find one. Please forgive my copy and paste approach to this question but I have been writing on other forums and will move some of those things to this thread. I have a 30 day warranty nearing it's end. They have been dragging this out. Anyway, here is the story:

If you put a speed6 on a lift and lift all 4 wheels off the ground then run it up through first or second, should the rear tires spin too? They do not turn on my car. I do get the flashing 4WD light. This was a little test I did myself. I feel like the rear tires should get power in this scenario. Anyone else ever try this?

Here is the letter I am starting to the dealership:

To quote the manual:

AWD Warning Light
This warning light stays on for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position.
Thereafter, the warning light will illuminate or flash under the following conditions:
- Illuminates when there is an abnormality with the AWD system.
Flashes when the differential oil temperature is abnormally high.
Flashes when there are continually large differences between front and rear wheel rotation, such as when trying to pull away from an icy surface.

I get this flashing light during any spirited or low traction driving.

My driving impressions. With DSC off - if I launch the vehicle, the front tires will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Hard shift into second, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Take off in dirt, sand or rain, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Put the car on a lift, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Start driving on a steep grade from a stop, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Accelerate out of a turn, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car.

During all of these situations the 4WD light flashes and again, according to the manual, something is wrong. (End of letter so far)

In the almost words of Starwars, Help me mazdas247, you're my only hope.

After some more research

I have done my share of testing and research and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the all wheel drive system in my car does not work.

To quote the manual:

4WD Warning Light
This warning light stays on for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position.
Thereafter, the warning light will illuminate or flash under the following conditions:
- Illuminates when there is an abnormality with the AWD system.
Flashes when the differential oil temperature is abnormally high.
Flashes when there are continually large differences between front and rear wheel rotation, such as when trying to pull away from an icy surface.

Now I get this flashing light during any spirited driving. It does not mean the system is working, it means something is broken.

My driving impressions. With DSC off - launch the vehicle. The front tires will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Hard shift into second, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Take off in dirt, sand or rain, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Put the car on a lift, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Start driving on a steep grade from a stop, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car. Accelerate out of a turn, the front wheels will spin like any other front wheel drive car.

During all of these situations the 4WD light flashes and again, according to the manual, something is wrong.

I have a copy of the MazdaSpeed 6 Technical Training PDF, it states on page 40 of the pdf “When the electromagnetic coil is energized and the front wheels rotate at a different rate than the rear wheels, the ball separates the main cam and the pilot cam. This exerts force on the main clutch and torque is transmitted from the driveshaft to the rear differential.“ It also states “100/0 is only used when the hand brake is applied or at low speeds during tight turns (parking lot maneuvers)” This leads me to believe that the electromagnetic control coupling has failed in my vehicle.

I have demonstrated through the use of a lift that the rear tires do not spin, because of this I know that the rear differential is not overheating. So that is not the cause of my flashing 4WD light. I also know that this vehicle (according to page 35 of the Technical Training pdf) has “4-wheel speed sensors”. The owners manual states that the light Flashes when a “large differences between front and rear wheel rotation” is detected the light will be triggered. “The electronic control coupling switches power to the rear wheels...” This has to be the failed component. Page 37 of the PDF states the power is always sent to the rear driveshaft regardless of driving situation.

When “Power to Electromagnetic Clutch” is applied:
Electromagnetic solenoid energized, pilot clutch applied
A slight difference in speed between the front and rear wheels

The Manual:

If the AWD warning light flashes:
Park the vehicle in a safe place. After a few moments; if the warning light stops flashing, you can resume driving. If the light does not stop flashing, contact an Authorized Mazda Dealer.
Am I supposed to pull over every time this happens?

I'm by no means an expert on AWD, but based on your description, there seems to be something definitely not right with your car. I've had my 06 Speed 6 for 3 years, and have never had the AWD light come on except for on start up. Even while slipping on ice and snow. I've read both the owners manual and technical brochure on our car, and based on those, my impression is anytime the AWD light flashes, STOP driving the vehicle.

You mentioned there's still a 30 day warranty on the car? Use it. Demand that the dealer honours it and get the full price you paid for it back.

It might be possible that the car was towed incorrectly before hitting the dealers lot. Or the transfer case and/or differential is damaged.

Hopefully someone else can back me up on this. Let me know how everything turns out.

I agree with you. I'd take it back right now and demand to get the money back or something.

Yea I'm pretty sure something is not right with your awd.spinning your front wheels only isn't normal I have launched my car pretty hard and its got a good amount of mods and it hardly has any to no slip. I've had it on a lift at work and all of my wheels will spin. The awd light coming on indicates a problem with the system and should set and store a code. I worked at mazda for 6 months and I'm a certified mazda tech and ill tell you that something isn't right
I wish I could tell you what's wrong with it but I've never seen to many issues like that while I was there. Just take it back to the Mazda dealer and talk to a store manager.

While it DOES seem soemthing is amiss with the light being constantly flashing, that being said theres something else you could try. 1. I'd imagine for DSC was probably on (as it is always on by default upon start up) If so, your rear tire wont spin if the car is lifted off its wheels. The awd system uses the DSC to monitor and control wheel spin. Under conditions of no slip/spin I'm pretty sure 100% of power is applied to the fronts. Turn your DSC off via the button to the left of the steering wheel and lift it again and see fi they spin. My DSC is super sensitive and if I hit a pothole or bump in the road, even a lsight one my car will flash the 4wd light and go herky jerky berserky for a second or two. Different cars will be more or less sensitive. Also you could simply start your car, turn off DSC and take off briskly. If you're rears are getting no power the front wheels will break lose and you'll get torque steer like a mofo. If you have rear wheel love you'll take off and maybe just screech the tires a small bit.

Latest posts

Back